Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Sport Chrono package neccessary?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017 | 03:09 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StormRune
If it is a PDK car: Without it the car aggressively short-shifts to maximize EPA-reported fuel economy. If you are good with the car always at minimum RPMs when not punching the accelerator I guess you could skip it. I would guess the large majority of the drivers on the forum here either put the PDK in manual shift mode or if in automatic mode, enable sport-mode shifting with Sport-Chrono to keep the RPMs up to a more sports-car like level.

Also if a PDK car: Not having it would dramatically reduce the number of potential buyers for the car when you go to resell, resulting in a lower resale price, if you are concerned about that. In other words, not having it will cost you as much or more at resale time as you are saving now. I don't see any financial benefit to skipping it myself.
Yep, this...Also for the .2 the "manettino" style selector is nice compared with having to search for the sport button on the .1's on the center console.

Because there is no way to have the car remember turning auto-start-stop off, first thing I do when I hop in the car is switch the car to sport mode on the manettino to turn off that functionality. The throttle response is too low on normal mode for me as well. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-06-2017 | 03:12 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Agree with above.
If PDK, then get the Sport Chrono.
Old 08-06-2017 | 03:27 PM
Racer

I wanted to timing function (track) and as well the ""manettino" was a must-have for me.

FYI, I have PDK. I might have foregone SC had I had 7MT.
Old 08-06-2017 | 04:08 PM
*991*
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StormRune
If it is a PDK car: Without it the car aggressively short-shifts to maximize EPA-reported fuel economy. If you are good with the car always at minimum RPMs when not punching the accelerator I guess you could skip it. I would guess the large majority of the drivers on the forum here either put the PDK in manual shift mode or if in automatic mode, enable sport-mode shifting with Sport-Chrono to keep the RPMs up to a more sports-car like level.

Also if a PDK car: Not having it would dramatically reduce the number of potential buyers for the car when you go to resell, resulting in a lower resale price, if you are concerned about that. In other words, not having it will cost you as much or more at resale time as you are saving now. I don't see any financial benefit to skipping it myself.

Agree 100% so why not enjoy the extras u get from having it plus increase the number of buyers when u sell....NO BRAINER
Old 08-06-2017 | 05:18 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

FYI th pdk shifts faster in sport plus mode. It is a must have with pdk...
Many myself included would not look at a non sport chrono car.

Why not buy the fastest performance options on a performance car???
Old 08-06-2017 | 06:26 PM
bittrl1000
Instructor

Worth it for PDK car. Not worth it for MT.
Old 08-06-2017 | 06:39 PM
Sharm
Pro

Originally Posted by subshooter
It's a must for me with a MT. I need the rev matching.
^This
Old 08-06-2017 | 07:03 PM
mrhebert
Rennlist Member

Get it. It adds fun and stability to the equation.
Old 08-06-2017 | 07:07 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Yes. But I like watches and clocks. Will definitely hurt resale on PDK and possibly on MT as well.
IMO.
I wouldn't buy a car without it, if avoidable. And I'm only buying MT cars.
Old 08-06-2017 | 07:26 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by 9ELOVIN
These cars are luxury items in themselves so none of the options are "necessary." Only a tiny percentage of the cars are ever tracked. Whether the sport chrono will make a difference in your "normal driving" depends on what you consider that to be. You might want to check: The sport button of which you speak (sport response button) is part of the sport Chrono package and not standard.
this.

any 991 is faster and lighter with more power, options and features than previous S or GTS models. A stripper base is in the top 5% of all cars. The bell curve gets real slim adding higher trim and options.
Old 08-06-2017 | 09:47 PM
porscherex
Pro

The dynamic engine mounts that are part of the sport chrono package will give you a smoother ride with less engine and transmission vibration during normal driving. My SA recommended it for this reason and I'm glad he did.
Old 08-06-2017 | 10:27 PM
randr
Banned

SC is a no brainer must have if you have a PDK equipped car and want maximum performance.

It gives you dynamic engine mounts, wheel mounted manatino based control, launch control, sport response button - optimal performance for 20s, race logic shift points (maximises power under the curve), optimises PSM for performance, optimises PTV-E for performance, optimises PDCC and RAS, reduced shift times, data logging - lap performance maps, timing and data.

The little clock is the "tell tale" for SC.
Old 08-06-2017 | 10:37 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Nobody has mentioned the G force meter on the TFT display that comes with the SC package. I know it is a bit of a gimic but I love to try to beat my best on the on ramps or the round-abouts!
Old 08-06-2017 | 10:50 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

For MT, not only not necessary but not desirable (IMO). I really dislike rev-matching (no need to open THAT again here). And as I understand, rev-matching cannot be defeated: off in normal mode, on in sport or sport plus modes.
Old 08-06-2017 | 10:55 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bkrantz
For MT, not only not necessary but not desirable (IMO). I really dislike rev-matching (no need to open THAT again here). And as I understand, rev-matching cannot be defeated: off in normal mode, on in sport or sport plus modes.
Nope. You are mistaken on this point. Take PSM off and rev matching is disabled in sport or sport + mode.

.....well.....you are also mistaken on the "not necessary comment". . I need rev matching because I can't heel and toe. ...and it just sounds fricken awesome when the throttle blips with PSE on and in sport + mode.

Quick Reply: Is Sport Chrono package neccessary?