Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing radio buttons

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 04:37 PM
TimD
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 46 Posts

I have the new ***** just not sure how to remove the originals and install the new ones
Old 07-18-2019, 04:53 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,359 Posts

I have taken them off and on a couple times already. The first time I took them off and sent them to the dealer who in turn sent me a replacement pair since the shafts were crooked so they wobbled when turned, and the next time I took them off to customize them. The ones in the 991 do not have screws under the caps so do not look for one - older models had those. I used 2 trim removal tools, 1 on each side, behind the button and PCM. If you want to put a rag over them while covering the button as well it will help to catch it when it pops off. They are hard to get off as they are press fit on and you will not hurt them if you do it the way I described.

Old 07-18-2019, 05:08 PM
TimD
Instructor

Bob, thanks so much for the quick reply. Do you think my 15 981 with the 3.1 PCM is the same as yours?
Old 07-18-2019, 05:18 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TimD
Bob, thanks so much for the quick reply. Do you think my 15 981 with the 3.1 PCM is the same as yours?
You are welcome and yes, they appear to be the same: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK991RK.html
Old 07-18-2019, 05:45 PM
TimD
Instructor

Bob, just concerned about pushing on buttons with trim tools and doing some damage. What shape tools did you use? Thanks again. You seem to be the only one on the internet that knows how to do this including the dealership people I talked to.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:05 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Bob, just concerned about pushing on buttons with trim tools and doing some damage. What shape tools did you use? Thanks again. You seem to be the only one on the internet that knows how to do this including the dealership people I talked to.
You are not pushing on the buttons, you are pulling on them, from behind (closest to the PCM). Someone else here used 2 butter knifes that they wrapped in rags. If you have another person to help just have them hold the button as you pry/pop them off - when I did it the first time it flew into the back seat! They snap on tight thus they do not come off easily! The shaft them mount on is metal so you will not hurt anything. And I used flat trim tools and used the PCM as leverage.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:12 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

I forgot to say that if you are replacing them and do not care about the ones that are on now you can use pliers, a small vice-grip or channel-locks and pull them straight off, or try wrapping them first and then pulling albeit you may put marks on them, if you care.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:28 PM
TimD
Instructor

Thanks again for the ideas. My PCM has more buttons around the ***** than yours does and they were the ones I was afraid of pushing on. I don’t really care about the current radio ***** I am replacing so I probably use vice grips as you suggested.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:51 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Thanks again for the ideas. My PCM has more buttons around the ***** than yours does and they were the ones I was afraid of pushing on. I don’t really care about the current radio ***** I am replacing so I probably use vice grips as you suggested.
Got it, I would need a pic to give you an idea of where to use the tools; however, it will not matter if you just pull them off with real tools! Just be careful and pull them straight off and not at an angle.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:55 PM
TimD
Instructor

My PCM looks identical to the one pictured in your link to Suncoast Parts above. As you can see there are a bunch of buttons around the *****. I will have to be careful not to damage them.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:03 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

My PCM looks identical to the one pictured in your link to Suncoast Parts above. As you can see there are a bunch of buttons around the *****. I will have to be careful not to damage them.
It will be fine, trust me. Just wrap whatever tool you use with a rag, microfiber, tape, etc. and since you have do not want to save the ones on now you should have nothing to worry about.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:36 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

How did you make out?
Old 07-26-2019, 12:10 AM
NF4710
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I have taken them off and on a couple times already. The first time I took them off and sent them to the dealer who in turn sent me a replacement pair since the shafts were crooked so they wobbled when turned, and the next time I took them off to customize them. The ones in the 991 do not have screws under the caps so do not look for one - older models had those. I used 2 trim removal tools, 1 on each side, behind the button and PCM. If you want to put a rag over them while covering the button as well it will help to catch it when it pops off. They are hard to get off as they are press fit on and you will not hurt them if you do it the way I described.

Bob,

I might be mistaken but I think your volume and control ***** are switched (at least compared to mine) - I actually like your way more lol.

Cheers,
NF
Old 07-26-2019, 12:17 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

I could have sworn I replaced the the same way they came off, but I could be mistaken. I am not even sure why they are the way they are! But I am thinking about covering them, or putting Miami Blue centers on both to match the SC mode switch on the steering wheel, which by the way Suncoast offers as well, in Red only though: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PKREDDIAL2.html
Old 07-26-2019, 03:10 AM
Hokidachi
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I could have sworn I replaced the the same way they came off, but I could be mistaken. I am not even sure why they are the way they are! But I am thinking about covering them, or putting Miami Blue centers on both to match the SC mode switch on the steering wheel, which by the way Suncoast offers as well, in Red only though: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PKREDDIAL2.html
Can you post a photo of the painted SC mode switch? Debating doing this on mine too!!

Quick Reply: Replacing radio buttons