Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Better phone mount?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 10:36 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,992 Likes on 948 Posts

Not-So-happy to report that the Belkin charger in conjunction with a 20W cig lighter adapter is NOT working for me and my iPhone XR

May be my phone is far too old for this to work. Since I am still very happy with my current phone, I will be looking for another solution.
Old 08-08-2022, 12:26 PM
dvalera001
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by c615586
I purchased a flat metal tie and a L bracket from Lowes. I ended up going with this:

I ended up taking this route, but with a black L-bracket (
Amazon Amazon
) so no painting required. Used some 3M automotive tape on the bottom to give a better grip to the panel, as well as the top side to the mount, but also screwed it into the ProClip iPhone mount I had previously for extra security. Very happy with the results and put it in the same location you posted here - greater visibility. It blocks the dash cupholder, but I don't use that POS cupholder anyways.
The following users liked this post:
c615586 (08-08-2022)
Old 08-08-2022, 07:43 PM
devtec
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 89 Posts

My minimalist solution:

3D printed some simple blocks I made with an iPad app (Shapr3D). Just enough points to hold the phone in place on a flat plane.

Happy with it so far as it's:
  • Stable (no rattles)
  • Low profile, and out of the way of shifter
  • Doesn't block PCM or any console buttons except sunroof (I just slip phone out of way when I use sunroof; a larger phone than my iPhone 12 mini might block more buttons though!)
  • Can still view screen and operate if necessary while car not in motion (amazingly, even FaceID works from this angle!)
  • Mounts blend in with interior (no bulky eye warts)
  • Keeps a wired connection for CarPlay (which I prefer--GPS kills battery and wireless chargers get hot!)
  • With muscle memory can mount and remove without looking
  • Blocks can be mounted to accommodate different phones (blocks easily attached and removable with 3M double-sided tape)
  • Visible so I don't keep forgetting phone (I tried a wireless setup within the console, but I kept leaving phone behind! 🤬🤣 )

Center block with cutout for Lightning cable. Connector still has some flex so it doesn't ruin Lightning port over time.

Left block. Shaped to follow angles of console.

Right block.

Wide shot.

Last edited by devtec; 08-10-2022 at 04:36 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by devtec:
305/718 (08-10-2022), dvalera001 (08-08-2022), edirtaynine (08-08-2022), myrr (08-08-2022), Vos (06-24-2023)
Old 08-11-2022, 04:27 PM
RP4S911
Pro

Received 581 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by devtec
My minimalist solution:

3D printed some simple blocks I made with an iPad app (Shapr3D). Just enough points to hold the phone in place on a flat plane.

Happy with it so far as it's:
  • Stable (no rattles)
  • Low profile, and out of the way of shifter
  • Doesn't block PCM or any console buttons except sunroof (I just slip phone out of way when I use sunroof; a larger phone than my iPhone 12 mini might block more buttons though!)
  • Can still view screen and operate if necessary while car not in motion (amazingly, even FaceID works from this angle!)
  • Mounts blend in with interior (no bulky eye warts)
  • Keeps a wired connection for CarPlay (which I prefer--GPS kills battery and wireless chargers get hot!)
  • With muscle memory can mount and remove without looking
  • Blocks can be mounted to accommodate different phones (blocks easily attached and removable with 3M double-sided tape)
  • Visible so I don't keep forgetting phone (I tried a wireless setup within the console, but I kept leaving phone behind! 🤬🤣 )

Center block with cutout for Lightning cable. Connector still has some flex so it doesn't ruin Lightning port over time.

Left block. Shaped to follow angles of console.

Right block.

Wide shot.
I like this. Would you considering making another set to sell?
Old 06-23-2023, 01:29 PM
rsyed
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Went for the expensive t-design - including shipping and taxes just short of 200 USD...

my requirements: a simple solution like that of rennline, installed somewhere where I have a good access when using my phone with google maps. Rennline should have done the job but thought of going safe with t-design because of the larger area and therefore stronger magnet. I have a iphone 12 with a thin cover, and it still works without sticking any extra magnet to the cover.

p.s. cupholder works without having to remove the phone holder...

Old 06-23-2023, 09:19 PM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 453 Posts
Cool

+1 | I really love this and would love to buy a set from you because I too hate wireless charging.

Originally Posted by devtec
My minimalist solution

Wide shot.
Old 08-08-2023, 03:21 AM
RocketGuy3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Have any of you used the T-Design mount (with the clamping holder rather than the magnetic holder) on track with RaceChrono (or your app of choice)? Does it hold up under track g-forces? Or any of the other solutions that are good for daily use, like ProClip? I have a RAM mount, but I'm hoping I can get something like T-Design that will be good for both normal and track use.
Old 08-08-2023, 12:22 PM
Shans39
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR

been looking out for this yay!

Quick Reply: Better phone mount?