Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Better phone mount?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2021, 11:33 AM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

I use my pocket. Hooked up wireless apple CarPlay, done.
Old 09-10-2021, 03:00 PM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by c615586
What equipment did you use to make this mount? I'd like to try something like this.
Nothing fancy is required, but you do need to be able to cut the metal piece down to size, I think I used a HF electric cutoff tool and a pair of sheet metal shears (could also use an angle grinder, even a dremel tool, but that would take longer). For the metal piece, I just used this tie plate from HD (because it was cheap, so if I screwed up then it's no huge loss). You'll need to find a way to bend the metal as well.

This is what I did:

1. Remove the side piece that runs along the tunnel & take measurements
2. Use thin cardboard to mock up a template, adjust until you're happy
3. Tape up the metal and trace your template
4. Cut, bend and drill (if you want to screw down your unit), then sand down the edges
5. Test fit and repeat steps 5&6 if needed
6. Once you're happy with the final unit, paint or wrap then install your phone holder of choice (I disassembled a vent magmount and screwed it into my unit).
7. Install & enjoy

A couple of things to consider:

-Depending on the location you mount your unit, it could affect the use of your cupholder; I don't use the left side cup holder myself (I fabbed my own cupholder as well) because I don't like the idea of having liquid above my electronics (I mentioned this to my friend and we go look at his newly purchased car & we found coffee stain on the bottom edge of his side piece ).
-consider the angle you want your phone to be at, if you install the mount before reinstalling the side piece, the mount could be blocking the side piece. This won't be a problem if your mount slides in to the slot after the sidepiece is re-installed.

It was a fun project for me. Just take your time, I think I made 3 different versions before I settled on one that worked for me.

Last edited by Speed2k; 09-10-2021 at 03:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Speed2k:
c615586 (09-11-2021), peterm95018 (01-03-2022)
Old 09-11-2021, 12:40 AM
c615586
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Awesome! Thanks for the tips. Gonna make a home depot run tomorrow.
The following users liked this post:
Speed2k (09-11-2021)
Old 09-11-2021, 04:30 AM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Awesome! Thanks for the tips. Gonna make a home depot run tomorrow.
awesome; post up your results.
Old 09-11-2021, 08:54 AM
smgkc
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 55 Posts

Rennline mounting bracket (https://www.rennline.com/Porsche-991...SABEgK3GfD_BwE)

+

Spiegel wireless charging top (https://getspiegel.com/products/wire...SABEgI4QfD_BwE)

+

Apple MagSafe Case (https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...e-with-magsafe)

= Perfection

I believe you need an m4 or m6 screw to take the rennline mount to the spiegel head but it’s seriously the best thing I’ve come across. You can slam the brakes and I haven’t had any issue. Plus wireless charging and no backing plate the keeps your phone from wireless charging.
Old 09-15-2021, 09:38 PM
c615586
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Default My New 991 Phone Mount.

So I took @Speed2k 's instructions and made a small phone mount for myself.

I purchased a flat metal tie and a L bracket from Lowes. I ended up going with this:

www.lowes.com/pd/Simpson-Strong-Tie-A21Z-Angle-Z-Max/1114951]Simpson L Bracket. $0.68!

For reasons that only made sense to me at the time, I hit it with some gloss red paint. I then cannibalized a couple of iPhone stands and chargers I had laying around in the garage. This resulted in a tidy little Qi Charger for my phone. It's way better and far less obtrusive than anything I've tried before. The Qi charger magnets do a great job of holding my iPhone in place and the phone is easily accessible with a quick glance down at the dash if I need to use it. I did the Apple CarPlay upgrade last year, so I actually don't need to interact with my phone directly all that much since I can use Siri to control most relevant functions when driving. I used some 3M automotive tape to keep the L Bracket attached to the inner side of the console bolster. The charger is attached to a ball joint so the phone can be turned or rotated to the driver or passenger. This is my iPhone 12 Pro. I also tried it with my wife's Pro Max. Both fit on the charger and clear the dashboard.

Here are some pics:

I've ordered a u-shaped flat USB C to USB A wire to clean up the install a bit.
This is the phone mount and the Qi charger I had in a box in the garage. I had to do a little dremeling and combined parts from the two to get the ball and socket from the Qi charger to work with the smaller phone mount.

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by c615586; 09-15-2021 at 10:17 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by c615586:
professorman (02-23-2022), Speed2k (09-15-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 12:00 AM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

So I took @Speed2k 's instructions and made a small phone mount for myself.

I purchased a flat metal tie and a L bracket from Lowes. I ended up going with this:

www.lowes.com/pd/Simpson-Strong-Tie-A21Z-Angle-Z-Max/1114951]Simpson L Bracket. $0.68!

For reasons that only made sense to me at the time, I hit it with some gloss red paint. I then cannibalized a couple of iPhone stands and chargers I had laying around in the garage. This resulted in a tidy little Qi Charger for my phone. It's way better and far less obtrusive than anything I've tried before. The Qi charger magnets do a great job of holding my iPhone in place and the phone is easily accessible with a quick glance down at the dash if I need to use it. I did the Apple CarPlay upgrade last year, so I actually don't need to interact with my phone directly all that much since I can use Siri to control most relevant functions when driving. I used some 3M automotive tape to keep the L Bracket attached to the inner side of the console bolster. The charger is attached to a ball joint so the phone can be turned or rotated to the driver or passenger. This is my iPhone 12 Pro. I also tried it with my wife's Pro Max. Both fit on the charger and clear the dashboard.

Here are some pics:

I've ordered a u-shaped flat USB C to USB A wire to clean up the install a bit.
This is the phone mount and the Qi charger I had in a box in the garage. I had to do a little dremeling and combined parts from the two to get the ball and socket from the Qi charger to work with the smaller phone mount.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Whatever works! I like mine to sit as high as possible as I just run Waze off my phone instead of using Carplay
Old 09-16-2021, 11:01 AM
WJGreer
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by cliffd
I purchased the Rennline upper mount. Love it. Blocks the closest cup holder to the driver, but i never used it anyway. Really close to the glove box power connection.
Rennline upper mount also. You can mount it on either side of the console - I mounted mine on the left side, Cliff mounted his on the right.

I might switch mine across. Mounted high left it annoyingly blocks the touch screen and a few of the buttons. I was concerned about losing the cupholders by mounting it right, but in reality I never use them either.

Functionality-wise it works well.

I also just bought an alternative from Carmount - it's a simiar magnetic mount device with an adhesive backing. It's rather petite and I was considering mounting it on the lower left corner of the rear view mirror and hanging the phone downward from there. We'll see.
Old 09-16-2021, 10:20 PM
DarienA
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm a huge fan of proclip mounts been using them in my cars for years.
Old 01-24-2022, 01:23 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Received 212 Likes on 98 Posts

I figured I'd post my solution here.

I used the Rennline phone mount with a Belkin Magnetic Wireless Car Charger. Standard hard-silicon Apple MagSafe case without using the metal plate that Rennline provides to stick to your phone case. The Rennline mount uses a standard sized-ball that comes on a lot of car mount products. So I pieced the two together (no modifications required).

The purpose of this post is that there's been some debate in several different threads on whether the MagSafe case magnet and mounts were strong enough to hold the phone during spirited driving. A Rennline rep in one of the threads insisted it wasn't. Well, the video below shows you that it definitely is.

I don't have a picture of it mounted in the car yet because I just made the video that demonstrates the holding/grip strength of the solution I went with. Once I get it in the car I'll update this post with a final picture of it in the car.

Here's the parts I used in case anyone wants to go with the same solution:

Rennline Phone Mount: https://www.rennline.com/Porsche-991...tinfo/PM01.04/
Belkin Magnetic Wireless Car Charger:
Amazon Amazon

USB Power Supply:
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Class5Kayaker; 01-24-2022 at 04:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Class5Kayaker:
991_T (02-21-2022), tarrat (01-24-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 06:35 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Received 212 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Class5Kayaker
I figured I'd post my solution here.

I used the Rennline phone mount with a Belkin Magnetic Wireless Car Charger. Standard hard-silicon Apple MagSafe case without using the metal plate that Rennline provides to stick to your phone case. The Rennline mount uses a standard sized-ball that comes on a lot of car mount products. So I pieced the two together (no modifications required).

The purpose of this post is that there's been some debate in several different threads on whether the MagSafe case magnet and mounts were strong enough to hold the phone during spirited driving. A Rennline rep in one of the threads insisted it wasn't. Well, the video below shows you that it definitely is.

I don't have a picture of it mounted in the car yet because I just made the video that demonstrates the holding/grip strength of the solution I went with. Once I get it in the car I'll update this post with a final picture of it in the car.

Here's the parts I used in case anyone wants to go with the same solution:

Rennline Phone Mount: https://www.rennline.com/Porsche-991...tinfo/PM01.04/
Belkin Magnetic Wireless Car Charger: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09F8RLBQY...roduct_details
USB Power Supply: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08K9FP2SQ...roduct_details
Pics of my install. Turned out SUPER-clean IMO and was easy to do. I initially wanted to mount at the more forward position on the center tunnel, but with the phone on the charger shifting in to 7th gear bumped the phone.

I left the extra wire out for this pic before tucking it in so you could see where I chose to keep the small amount of extra wire.

All buttoned up.

Pic from driver's seat with phone charging.
Console buttons aren't blocked from view and it sits up high enough (but not too high) that you can put your hand between the center tunnel and the charger if you need to.

Old 01-24-2022, 07:16 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

I had the rennline magnetic mount in my car. The magnet sucks. Other magnets are *much* better. I'd skip rennline altogether based on this.
Old 01-31-2022, 04:11 PM
SSFox
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Highly versatile, bombproof

Highly versatile, bombproof, professional grade, made for Hollywood mount for $120. https://www.filmtools.com/cameradept...era-mount.html.

For $30, windshield use— [Military Grade] VICSEED
Amazon Amazon

I don’t want to stick the pad on my dash. Easy to see for navigation. Hard to remove from dash. Has positive hold spring loaded ratchets to secure phone. No vibration no phone fall.
Old 02-18-2022, 10:43 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,987 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by Class5Kayaker
Pics of my install. Turned out SUPER-clean IMO and was easy to do. I initially wanted to mount at the more forward position on the center tunnel, but with the phone on the charger shifting in to 7th gear bumped the phone.

I left the extra wire out for this pic before tucking it in so you could see where I chose to keep the small amount of extra wire.

All buttoned up.

Pic from driver's seat with phone charging.
Console buttons aren't blocked from view and it sits up high enough (but not too high) that you can put your hand between the center tunnel and the charger if you need to.
Class5: DO you have Numeric or other short shifter?
I bought the exact kit as you but waiting on the rennline mount, plan was to install it in upright position next to PCM, wondering if it will interfere with my 7th gear (but I have Numeric shifter)
Old 02-18-2022, 01:09 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by desmotesta
Class5: DO you have Numeric or other short shifter?
I bought the exact kit as you but waiting on the rennline mount, plan was to install it in upright position next to PCM, wondering if it will interfere with my 7th gear (but I have Numeric shifter)
It does not interfere, assuming a sane angle on the swivel mount, and the size/position of the phone on the mount. (Pixel 6, Renline mount, Numeric Shifter)
The following users liked this post:
desmotesta (02-18-2022)

Quick Reply: Better phone mount?