Sponsored by:

Better phone mount?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 10:39 PM
SConn
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by captainslow21
I bought a T-Design mount when I had a Cayman and it had a snug fit to the right of the PCM. When I traded and got a 911, there seemed to be a hair more space and a looser fit. I just wrapped the insert place of the phone mount in some masking and packing tape and it now fits like a glove. Over time I did have one of the foam pads fall off but is a non-issue for me since I use a case on my phone and it still stays secure. You do lose use of the left cup holder, but not a big deal for me.
Great tip! I'll try this with mine as I've found my phone and mount on my passenger seat after a couple good accelerations.

Also had a foam pad fall off but I had some left over from something else and just added it back. I like the mount enough to mess with it's shortcomings.
Old 07-01-2021, 10:10 AM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 282 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
I still need better reference than internet poster says bad for phones.
Yes, this is just ridiculous voodoo stuff. Mobile phones do not use magnetic tape anymore and so are not affected by magnets. Actually latest iPhone have bunch of magnets built-in right in the middle of it!

We would hear if it was a problem. We sell a lot of those and our handmade holders use 20 times stronger magnets then competition's standard tiny chinese magnetic pieces.
Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

Last edited by t-design; 07-01-2021 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-01-2021, 10:13 AM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by captainslow21
I bought a T-Design mount when I had a Cayman and it had a snug fit to the right of the PCM. When I traded and got a 911, there seemed to be a hair more space and a looser fit. I just wrapped the insert place of the phone mount in some masking and packing tape and it now fits like a glove. Over time I did have one of the foam pads fall off but is a non-issue for me since I use a case on my phone and it still stays secure. You do lose use of the left cup holder, but not a big deal for me.
We actually provide felt tape ti apply for exactly same reason. Although most of console is exactly the same on 981/718 and 911, 911 seem to have just a little more space there
Old 07-01-2021, 02:45 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by t-design
Yes, this is just ridiculous woodoo stuff. Mobile phones do not use magnetic tape for a long time and so not affected by magnets.

We would hear if it was a problem. We sell a lot of those and our handmade holders use 20 times stronger magnets then competition's standard tiny chinese magnetic pieces.
@t-design Hey, I'm just seeing this for the first time. I've been pretty disappointed by the hold strength of the Rennline unit. I use an Otterbox Defender on my Iphone 12. Will the magnet on your unit securely hold my phone if the metal plate is mounted inside the case between the phone and the case?
Old 07-01-2021, 04:27 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
@t-design Hey, I'm just seeing this for the first time. I've been pretty disappointed by the hold strength of the Rennline unit. I use an Otterbox Defender on my Iphone 12. Will the magnet on your unit securely hold my phone if the metal plate is mounted inside the case between the phone and the case?
^That's the way we suggest doing it.

Here's a comparison of magnets we use - 2 big rectangular N52 magnets (strongest grade) vs 4 weak grade magnets all the competition use. Hope it makes it clear why it has superior hold. We have to set our magnets in epoxy, as otherwise it would just rip through the front

Old 07-01-2021, 08:08 PM
poorshoeless
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

^^^ I have a clear case (Torras Patrous Series) with my iPhone 12 Pro Max attached to the T-Design phone mount and it stayed put in my 991.1 C2S. I didn't need to used a metal plate. Hope that help.
Old 07-01-2021, 11:19 PM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 454 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
I've been pretty disappointed by the hold strength of the Rennline unit. I use an Otterbox Defender on my Iphone 12. Will the magnet on your unit securely hold my phone if the metal plate is mounted inside the case between the phone and the case?
Yes, it will. T-Design9 magnets should not be compared with others, the magnets are so strong, it's ridiculous to think why nobody ever thought about investing in decent magnets but rather focus everything on design and marketing practically weak magnets with all sorts of funny contraptions that have zero practical real-world use.
Old 07-02-2021, 12:02 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by NCheok
Yes, it will. T-Design9 magnets should not be compared with others, the magnets are so strong, it's ridiculous to think why nobody ever thought about investing in decent magnets but rather focus everything on design and marketing practically weak magnets with all sorts of funny contraptions that have zero practical real-world use.
It most probably because using super strong magnets requires process that can not be adapted to mass production. It takes literally two days to make our magnetic holders. And it requires careful handling like an explosives... Or magnets will be flying and can cause injuries... So makes it very expensive in the end, and not interesting for mass market, where everybody wants it for $9.99
Old 07-03-2021, 10:59 PM
AvgPorschefile
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Rennline mount only way to go IMO.
Old 07-04-2021, 01:48 AM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 454 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by AvgPorschefile
Rennline mount only way to go IMO.
No.
The following users liked this post:
uphoto (07-04-2021)
Old 07-04-2021, 01:52 AM
uphoto
Pro

Received 316 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by NCheok
No.
exactly, I have one and it’s an overpriced pos.

you are paying for a Amazon $8 mount with a cheap custom bracket for our cars.
poorshoeless (07-04-2021)
Old 07-04-2021, 02:13 PM
AvgPorschefile
Rennlist Member

Again, Rennline only way to go IMO. Haven't had an issue with mine in years.
You do make an interesting point though. In fact it's the EXACT point I make regarding the Blendmount for your RD. It's ridiculously overpriced! I have yet to have an issue with my "china" mount and it was 1/3 the price. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing you boys are in the Blendmount camp?

Last edited by AvgPorschefile; 07-04-2021 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-04-2021, 02:50 PM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Received 321 Likes on 217 Posts

I made my own, the exchange rate and the cost to ship to Canada makes both mounts ridiculously expensive! It works.

Last edited by Speed2k; 07-04-2021 at 02:52 PM.
AvgPorschefile (07-04-2021)
Old 07-04-2021, 06:14 PM
AvgPorschefile
Rennlist Member

Nice work S2K! Maybe you should market it!
Speed2k (07-04-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 12:36 AM
c615586
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed2k
I made my own, the exchange rate and the cost to ship to Canada makes both mounts ridiculously expensive! It works.

What equipment did you use to make this mount? I'd like to try something like this.

Quick Reply: Better phone mount?