Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Better phone mount?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 03:33 PM
ds2k18
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the Rennline solution from Suncoast. Mounted permanently to the right side of the manual shifter. Only disappointment was that the magnets wouldn't stick to the back of the iPhone 8 itself, due to the glass back, so had to mount the magnet on a case. I've got the Plus, so didn't really want a case on an already huge phone. But the holder itself is very slick when mounted and the magnet works great. Recommended.
The following users liked this post:
sr5959 (07-09-2019)
Old 05-21-2018, 04:10 PM
bheit1
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
I normally use a different one from Rennline for my phone, but for a higher level mount that might work well for navigation I'm using this one to hold the phone on the windshield (for some recent testing where I needed the camera to see out of the car). Its sticky cup is amazingly strong and takes quite a pull to remove and the height, depth, and orientation is adjustable, just above the left vent. The design for the engagement of the phone is really cool, making it easy to mount/dismount the phone. The photos show it dash mounted but it windshield mounts just as well. Its not expensive either. The only possible downside is seeing the sticky cup's backside on the windshield... if that bothers you.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mounted to the upper left of the steering wheel you an adjust it to a position just far enough back from the steering wheel to be out of the way but close enough for easy reading and interaction. Mounted in the center puts it further away and may not be as good for your use but worked well for taking video; there it holds the phone just a little closer than the sport chrono clock. And as with all Amazon things it is easy to return if you don't like it. It's very popular and highly reviewed, check the Amazon ratings.
Originally Posted by Joenyc
I hear it leaves a sticky spot on the dash. I use the vent type, not the best either.
I've heard too many complaints about scratching and breaking vents. I'm not sold on magnets either, or ones that mount in the 12V outlet. Our cars tend to ride a bit stiff and a solid mount is in order. I can see where the sticky mount could be a problem, but they do sell extra mount pads that can be left semi permanently. I like the idea of mounting on the windshield to the left of the
wheel.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:06 PM
tvad
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a Kenu Airframe Pro. Works great. Reliable. Inexpensive.
Old 11-27-2019, 01:18 AM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by ds2k18
I've got the Rennline solution from Suncoast. Mounted permanently to the right side of the manual shifter. Only disappointment was that the magnets wouldn't stick to the back of the iPhone 8 itself, due to the glass back, so had to mount the magnet on a case. I've got the Plus, so didn't really want a case on an already huge phone. But the holder itself is very slick when mounted and the magnet works great. Recommended.
Is anyone else having problems getting the large trim piece to the right of the center console back on correctly after fitting the phone mount? I tried for ages can’t get it back on. Don’t want to force it in case I break some of the plastic tabs.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:06 AM
TRM
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts

Hands down this has been the best mount in my experience. I had similar versions in the C2S and Cayanne GTS but recently upgraded to this. Like py0413's this is a vent mount and the phone does obscure the vent. But it's at the perfect eye level location without being on the dash.

It is rock solid in the vent. That's a iPhone 6s for scale.

The following users liked this post:
991Targa4S (01-24-2022)
Old 11-27-2019, 05:30 PM
myrr
Pro

Received 309 Likes on 153 Posts

Ultimate Cupholder - phone gets plugged in to a nicely hidden cable and gets dropped in out of sight and mind until I’m at my destination.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:47 PM
koven
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by TRM
Hands down this has been the best mount in my experience. I had similar versions in the C2S and Cayanne GTS but recently upgraded to this. Like py0413's this is a vent mount and the phone does obscure the vent. But it's at the perfect eye level location without being on the dash.

It is rock solid in the vent. That's a iPhone 6s for scale.

Do you have the link to this one? I tried a few vent mounts but they all drooped with phone weight
Old 11-27-2019, 07:57 PM
TRM
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts

Koven, yes here it is on Amazon. The name is a

Lamicall Car Phone Mount

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 11-27-2019, 08:00 PM
koven
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by TRM
Koven, yes here it is on Amazon. The name is a

Lamicall Car Phone Mount

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
ill try it out thanks!
Old 11-27-2019, 08:23 PM
Kelsey
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I use the Rennline mount but instead of using the magnetic portion of the mount, I use a mount that I purchased from Amazon that holds the phone with a plastic screw that fits directly onto the Rennline mount. I’ll have to post a picture later.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:38 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

My case with magnetic attachment into a leather folder with magnetic clasp cover works great with my Samsung Galaxy Note 9. And so do the wireless fast chargers. Mag mount? Never a problem.
I'm not mounting my phone in front of an AC vent because i live in Central FL and Summer in the Chicago burbs.. I need that AC air flow.
The Rennline console magnetic mount is the only option that can work for me. Works great!
Old 12-21-2019, 11:13 PM
Tyler85
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelsey
I use the Rennline mount but instead of using the magnetic portion of the mount, I use a mount that I purchased from Amazon that holds the phone with a plastic screw that fits directly onto the Rennline mount. I’ll have to post a picture later.
Interesting. Please post pics when you get a chance.
Old 06-30-2021, 02:17 PM
Aronis
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 114 Posts

I have been using the Rennline mount but in the hot sun the glue gives out. I removed the leather from my iPhone case and cleaned the plastic off, and applied a brand new metal plate and the same happened. The glue they use is not very heat tolerant. Next step.....drilling multiple holes and stitching the plate onto my iPhone case.

Mike
Old 06-30-2021, 03:14 PM
captainslow21
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought a T-Design mount when I had a Cayman and it had a snug fit to the right of the PCM. When I traded and got a 911, there seemed to be a hair more space and a looser fit. I just wrapped the insert place of the phone mount in some masking and packing tape and it now fits like a glove. Over time I did have one of the foam pads fall off but is a non-issue for me since I use a case on my phone and it still stays secure. You do lose use of the left cup holder, but not a big deal for me.
Old 06-30-2021, 05:40 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 834 Likes on 414 Posts

I’ve had the Rennline mounted on the right side of lower console for close to a year. It doesn’t work for my needs. I thought the magnet might be strong enough to hold with the metal disc mounted on the inside of my phone case between the back of the phone and case, but it doesn’t hold well enough. I’m sure if the metes disc was outside the case it would work better, but I don’t want that. So, while it may work for so
e folks, if your case selection is important and you don’t want a metal disc stuck on the outside, the rennline is probably not your best choice. I’ll have to go back through this thread to find something else. If not for Apple CarPlay, I’d really be screwed.

Quick Reply: Better phone mount?