991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Better phone mount?

Old 07-25-2017, 02:54 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

I made a correction to my post #8 in case anyone was paying any attention to that, I checked the dash pad and it is sticky too. I would't recommend it on our dashes.

As for the magnetic thing, generally only oscillating electromagnets cause problems with electronic memory devices. I would suggest avoiding the electromagnetic crane at the junk yard though...
Old 07-25-2017, 03:04 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
IAs for the magnetic thing, generally only oscillating electromagnets cause problems with electronic memory devices. I would suggest avoiding the electromagnetic crane at the junk yard though...
FWIW, Apple has the following to say to their device accessory makers:

2.2 Magnetic Interference

Apple recommends avoiding the use of magnets and metal components in accessories.

All accessories that claim to be compatible with Apple devices that contain a digital compass (magnetometer) must minimize interference with the digital compass and must not repeatedly trigger compass recalibration.

Additionally, iPad Pro (10.5-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) 2nd Generation, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 6s Plus and iPhone 6 Plus have an autofocus rear camera equipped with optical image stabilization (OIS) that may be affected by magnets and metal components in accessories. Accessories that claim compatibility with these Apple devices must not affect the operation of the autofocus rear camera.

2.3 Radio Frequency (RF) Performance

This section contains RF performance requirements and recommendations for all accessories.

2.3.1 Materials and Coatings
Accessories should avoid use of:

Metals
Conductive materials or coatings
Materials with high dielectric (permittivity >5 F/m)
Such materials absorb radio frequency energy and may impair or degrade the performance of antennas for cellular communication, GPS, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and NFC.
Examples include (but are not limited to) the following:
Steel, aluminum, magnesium, titanium, etc. Plastics with any carbon content
Plastics with any glass content
Plastics with metallic plating
Metallic paints
Black paints with high carbon loading
White paints with high titanium dioxide loading Metallic Physical Vapor Deposition (PVD) coatings

Source: https://developer.apple.com/accessor...Guidelines.pdf
Old 07-25-2017, 06:54 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Yep, I was only addressing the risk to memory devices. If you use your compass while the phone is mounted in the car, then I guess a magnet next to the solid state compass isn't a good idea. Nav doesn't really use the compass except for screen orientation while you are sitting still.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:22 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StormRune
Yep, I was only addressing the risk to memory devices. If you use your compass while the phone is mounted in the car, then I guess a magnet next to the solid state compass isn't a good idea. Nav doesn't really use the compass except for screen orientation while you are sitting still.
Based on the above, and the risk of oscillation from bumps etc, I'd avoid magnetic mounts. It has to be strong enough to hold the phone on - it can't be that insignificant.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:56 PM
ScaredJimmy
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a look at the "Brodit" system. I have used these in most of my cars for the last 6 or so years. Bought the clip for my 991 and it fits beautifully (You have an option to use the build in adhesive but it's not required). Due to its position, you can also hide the cable by tucking it gently between panels.

Link to website

You need both a "clip" and a holder/mount so it's not cheap, but works very well.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:09 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
Based on the above, and the risk of oscillation from bumps etc, I'd avoid magnetic mounts. It has to be strong enough to hold the phone on - it can't be that insignificant.
With an abundance of caution Apple may also suggest "you are holding it wrong". Scanning through 455 reviews on Amazon and finding no such complaints I will not be removing mine based on an internet post.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:26 PM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

The Proclip is a nice fit and positions the phone pretty well, but it blocks some of the lower controls on the center stack (if mounted on the driver side) and makes a divot in the top edge of the center console. I've tried several and currently have the Rennline system (the one with the magnet!) installed on the horizontal portion of the passenger side center console. It's problem, it's way below line-of-sight and when I have a passenger the phone (7S) gets knocked off sometimes when they shift their legs. The vent clip models are best for position and non-blockage but they fall off regularly (I've tried a couple different ones).
The 991 has been the most difficult car I've owned to find an acceptable phone holder--one that doesn't block controls or the drink holder, is well positioned and doesn't get bumped by driver or passenger.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:28 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ScaredJimmy
Take a look at the "Brodit" system. I have used these in most of my cars for the last 6 or so years. Bought the clip for my 991 and it fits beautifully (You have an option to use the build in adhesive but it's not required). Due to its position, you can also hide the cable by tucking it gently between panels.

Link to website

You need both a "clip" and a holder/mount so it's not cheap, but works very well.
Brodit is the same as Proclip - I think Brodit is a European distributor for Proclip. They make great products -- I had Proclip mounts in 3 of my BMWs.

The only reason I didn't go that direction in the P car is it looks like it would interfere with an adult passenger's leg; in a car as narrow as these (comparatively to my previous cars), that wasn't something I was willing to do. Where the t-design mounts, it doesn't interfere with passenger comfort, and also allows easy wire hiding inside the panel.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:36 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary JR
With an abundance of caution Apple may also suggest "you are holding it wrong". Scanning through 455 reviews on Amazon and finding no such complaints I will not be removing mine based on an internet post.
There are anecdotal reports of ill effects on various forums. I agree they are not common, but they're out there. Seems to be more so for Samsung phones than Apple, for whatever reason. Magnets seem to interfere with some sensor that keeps the phone on, as well as some negative interaction with the display on certain (Samsung) models.

I prefer to avoid the issue entirely, based on a familiarity with the handling sensitive electronics, and yes, some internet research on the topic.

Glad you're happy with your mount.. You have great taste in cars.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:18 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

As I stated earlier, the occasional display problems have gone away since I moved the plate to the outside of my case. The phone is an HTC One (M8).

The magnet, by the way, was strong enough to firmly hold in place during a driving event so that I could use Harry's Lap Timer.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:27 AM
py0413
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I use this, pretty solid piece, no squeaks and holds the phone quite well even when driving more aggressively.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
991Targa4S (09-10-2021)
Old 07-26-2017, 08:06 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dhirm5
There are anecdotal reports of ill effects on various forums. I agree they are not common, but they're out there. Seems to be more so for Samsung phones than Apple, for whatever reason. Magnets seem to interfere with some sensor that keeps the phone on, as well as some negative interaction with the display on certain (Samsung) models.

I prefer to avoid the issue entirely, based on a familiarity with the handling sensitive electronics, and yes, some internet research on the topic.

Glad you're happy with your mount.. You have great taste in cars.
It's the "anecdotal reports" and "seem to" I have a problem with. Not exactly definitive and certainly not enough for me to make a change when there are so many things that can cause issues with mobile phones.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:11 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
It's the "anecdotal reports" and "seem to" I have a problem with. Not exactly definitive and certainly not enough for me to make a change when there are so many things that can cause issues with mobile phones.
I agree. I tried the Rennline magnetic one in my Macan for our iPhones and it has been a very positive experience all around. Zero problems.

Of course when not in use I wrap my phone in tinfoil before putting it in my pocket because because I've read that they can cause infertility.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:14 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BradB
I agree. I tried the Rennline magnetic one in my Macan for our iPhones and it has been a very positive experience all around. Zero problems.

Of course when not in use I wrap my phone in tinfoil before putting it in my pocket because because I've read that they can cause infertility.
Hey no extra charge for the birth control feature.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:34 AM
911sTO
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of technical anecdotes are based on old technology. Remember analog cell signals affecting flight instruments? The beeping of the blackberry reception over speakers? Modern phones do not use the same magnetic technology as devices from as recent as 10 years ago. In fact, many modern devices have built in magnets for things like wireless charging.

Just as a 993 Porsche is different than a 991, magnetic phone holders (and other technology) will always evolve faster than people's ability to adapt.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Better phone mount?