Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Advice from the 991.2 TT / TTS Brain-Trust (that is you!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 03:25 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Recent Excellence Magazine analysis:

Old 02-02-2017, 06:13 PM
TXccc
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Hothonda for that article.

I did find the following thread which is VERY detailed regarding PCCBs and track days. Some good and very technical info for anyone wanted to dig into more data. This is from 2015 and seems to reference major improvements in the Gen 3 PCCBs which I assume are on all of the 991.2 TTS: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...ck-thread.html
Old 02-02-2017, 06:36 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Interesting discussion, I'm probably on the verge of ordering a new turbo, my 997tt is 10 years old and still going strong. I won't be replacing, but adding to the garage. Keeping my 997.1 because last I heard they weren't making them like that anymore.
If you want the PCCBs then go for the TTS. There are brake companies (Gyrodisc sp) that make replacement steel rotors and you keep the yellow calipers. But fwiw, I change brake pads frequently and still on my original big Red rotors, including lots of track days.
CL wheels look cool. If you have the tool it's not a big deal.
TT vs TTS. This is a tough one, for about a 30k delta you get 40hp and all the additional options. I'd tend to get the S and leave it stock. But if you like to modify, a simple flash and exhaust will bring the TT up to and past a stock TTS. For a lot less than $30k.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:46 PM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Received 277 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Gasman
But fwiw, I change brake pads frequently and still on my original big Red rotors, including lots of track days.
For my edification, would you please explain what you mean by "my original big Red rotors" exactly?
Old 02-02-2017, 07:30 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151
For my edification, would you please explain what you mean by "my original big Red rotors" exactly?
LOL, mine to....

I would go through a set of rotors... and usually a couple of sets of Pagid RS29 pads per season in my 997.1 GT3.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:34 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by TXccc
3rd car, weekend car, maybe the occasional track car but definitely not any major dedicated track time.... I want the Turbo S, for the extra horsepower and some of the goodies, and that S badge....

1) PCCB
2) Centerlock Wheels
2a) If I found a car on the lot that I liked with CLs, is it a relatively easy process to switch back to 5-lug wheels?
3) If I don't really care for the two items above, am I starting to seriously negate the value of the Turbo S over the Turbo?
4) Based upon other forum posts, I gather the time from order to delivery could be as short as 4 months or up to 12 months or more - you guys think 6 months is a relatively good educated guess on order-to-delivery time?
4a) discount
1) Opinions vary. For your usage PCCBs will be cleaner and last longer. If you keep the car a long time and they wear out, plan to either purchase aftermarket rotors or convert them to steel. At full price, four OEM rotors are something like $20k.
2) They're a bit of extra work no matter how you slice it. The advantages are primarily aesthetic. Because of that, you know if and how much they appeal to you. Aftermarket wheels can be a good way to go too.
3) Yes, that's pretty accurate. I ordered a turbo and am very happy with it. If I want more power later on I can use the aftermarket to get as much as I'd like.
4) 4-6 months I'd guess. Usually they'll beat their commitment dates but you don't have a date so there are a lot of variables right now.
4a) Not sure the number at this point, but if you cast a broad net and consider cars that are on the floor you'll get a better discount.

Sounds like you've already concluded this, but if it would grate at you to not have the "S," just spend 10% more and get the S.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:35 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 84 Posts

If I were to guess, I'd say he means "I hate the autocorrect feature on my phone."
Old 02-02-2017, 09:04 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,096 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
PDCC is one of those rennlist options ... I somehow doubt I'd push this car to the limit where this is noticeable and our roads aren't so crappy as to need detached sways,..
There is truth there. Some people don't like PDCC on the track. If you're not going to track it doesn't matter. If your roads are smooth then PDCC doesn't matter. We lived without PDCC for 100 years of automotive history.

Water under the bridge as OP is going for the S.

Last edited by worf928; 02-03-2017 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:43 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

OEM turbo steel rotors, aka "big reds".
Old 02-03-2017, 10:14 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 264 Posts

OEM turbo steel rotors, aka "big reds".
Actually is it not..... Turbo brake callipers, aka "Big Reds"?

Old 02-03-2017, 11:32 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Actually is it not..... Turbo brake callipers, aka "Big Reds"?

You know what I mean

Last edited by TT Gasman; 02-03-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:59 AM
TXccc
AutoX

Interesting discussion, I'm probably on the verge of ordering a new turbo, my 997tt is 10 years old and still going strong. I won't be replacing, but adding to the garage. Keeping my 997.1 because last I heard they weren't making them like that anymore.
If you want the PCCBs then go for the TTS. There are brake companies (Gyrodisc sp) that make replacement steel rotors and you keep the yellow calipers. But fwiw, I change brake pads frequently and still on my original big Red rotors, including lots of track days.
CL wheels look cool. If you have the tool it's not a big deal.
TT vs TTS. This is a tough one, for about a 30k delta you get 40hp and all the additional options. I'd tend to get the S and leave it stock. But if you like to modify, a simple flash and exhaust will bring the TT up to and past a stock TTS. For a lot less than $30k.
Great points. I think I'm at least sold on the fact that the PCCBs have improved over the last few years, complaints about them being brittle are far less, and for street use all things seem to be good (with the exception of maybe a slight increase in noise at times or pedal feel). In other words, they aren't a nuisance as I was concerned, but rather bring some real benefits to non-track use (long life, no brake dust). With that concern out of the way (and being neutral on the CLs) then I think I have to go TTS (especially if ordering new).

Originally Posted by ace37
1) Opinions vary. For your usage PCCBs will be cleaner and last longer. If you keep the car a long time and they wear out, plan to either purchase aftermarket rotors or convert them to steel. At full price, four OEM rotors are something like $20k.
2) They're a bit of extra work no matter how you slice it. The advantages are primarily aesthetic. Because of that, you know if and how much they appeal to you. Aftermarket wheels can be a good way to go too.
3) Yes, that's pretty accurate. I ordered a turbo and am very happy with it. If I want more power later on I can use the aftermarket to get as much as I'd like.
4) 4-6 months I'd guess. Usually they'll beat their commitment dates but you don't have a date so there are a lot of variables right now.
4a) Not sure the number at this point, but if you cast a broad net and consider cars that are on the floor you'll get a better discount.

Sounds like you've already concluded this, but if it would grate at you to not have the "S," just spend 10% more and get the S.
All good points. I think I have concluded that I "want" to go the TTS route ideally, but you guys have helped clarify what I miss out on (which isn't too much) if I find the perfect TT. Feeling more comfortable that I could make an educated decision on this without having any regrets.

Originally Posted by worf928
There is truth there. Some people don't like PDCC on the track. If you're not going to track it doesn't matter. If your roads are smooth then PDCC doesn't matter. We lived without PDCC for 100 years of automotive history.

Water under the bridge as OP is going for the S.
Where I live in Austin, we have some great winding roads for this car but they aren't always the best surfaces so I think I would check the PDCC box on the TT and be glad it was there on the TTS. But, to your point, lived a long time without it, so not sure I would call it a "deal killer" without it.

Quick Reply: Advice from the 991.2 TT / TTS Brain-Trust (that is you!)