Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Advice from the 991.2 TT / TTS Brain-Trust (that is you!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 04:31 PM
TXccc
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice from the 991.2 TT / TTS Brain-Trust (that is you!)

Gentlemen (and any ladies out there!) - I'm hoping I can pull from the knowledge and experience of this group to help me answer a few questions. I've been sorting through the forum posts for a few weeks and let me say, you are a knowledgeable bunch. I've made the decision to purchase a 991.2 Turbo Cab (likely a TTS).

I'm pretty particular about getting exactly what I want which likely means I'll be getting in line to order a brand new one from the dealer (I know, the depreciation hit will hurt, but whoever said buying one of these makes any financial sense?).

I'm new to Porsche, this will be a 3rd car, weekend car, maybe the occasional track car but definitely not any major dedicated track time, and as result, I would benefit from your feedback on a few items. Of course, I want the Turbo S, for the extra horsepower and some of the goodies, and that S badge but what I am questioning is:

1) PCCB - Since this is not a track car, are the PCCB worth what appears to be a $20K rotor replacement costs down the road? Some discussions indicate they should last the life of the car (therefore worth it if I keep the car longterm) others claim they are not worth it? Any new opinions on that from this group?

2) Centerlock Wheels - they look good but I'm inclined to stay away from them for ease of tire changing and wheel options. I'm not close to a Porsche Dealer (I guess that is relative - I'm 30 miles away but that is a 2 hour drive with traffic).
2a) If I found a car on the lot that I liked with CLs, is it a relatively easy process to switch back to 5-lug wheels?

3) If I don't really care for the two items above, am I starting to seriously negate the value of the Turbo S over the Turbo?

Last question:
4) Based upon other forum posts, I gather the time from order to delivery could be as short as 4 months or up to 12 months or more - you guys think 6 months is a relatively good educated guess on order-to-delivery time?
4a) I'm going to check with the local Austin Porsche Dealer on allocations in the next few weeks when my travel schedule settles down, but it sounds like (per other posts) I should check all over the place and specifically with some of the large dealers in FL / NJ / and CA (and expect a 3% - 8% discount at most)?

Looking forward to getting to the point where i can contribute to the forum rather than just draft off of your knowledge so thank you for taking a few minutes to respond to my "newbie" questions.

Thanks,

TXccc
Austin, TX
Old 02-01-2017, 05:23 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Welcome and congratulations on coming this far in the process.
I had a 991.1 Turbo Cab and now have a 991.2 Turbo S Cab on order. Can't go wrong with either car IMO.
While I'm sure your post will spark lots of input and debate, here are some of my perspectives on your questions:
  1. PCCB- if you order a Turbo S, you have no choice, you get PCCBs. If you do not intend to track your car they should last a good long time... 80-100k miles?. If I was ordering a Turbo, I'd pass on them. But am happy to have them coming on the S.
  2. Centerlock wheels- These will be my first adventure with them. Looking forward to it. My dealer is 50 miles away, but I'm not overly concerned. I've already purchased the tools.
  3. Only you can decide between a TT and a TTS. Both are fantastic cars.
  4. Once I received an allocation last November my process began. Delivery is scheduled for early May, but I'm hoping for an early arrival. As far as discounts, custom ordering with an allocation may not earn you as big a discount as finding a car in dealer inventory but the range you quoted seems about right for both.

Good luck!
Old 02-01-2017, 05:44 PM
MS7044
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

I have had a coupe and cab 991.1 TTS. 991.2 on boat now (coupe) my order process is in its 10th month but I have a PTS car. Another person on here waited a year.

Let us know how getting an allocation is. Allocations (as I understand) are very tight right now.

PCCB- I like them. Don't keep cars long enough to worry about replacing but always wanted the S model so I was getting them.

CL - I'm close to a dealer and never really thought much about the changing tire issue. That said this time I went 5 lug and and replacing the factory wheels at delivery.

TT v TTS - you will get a lot of opinions here. As I undestand on the .2 there is more of a performance delta in terms of equipment (turbo chargers etc) from the factory but honestly the TT is a hell of a car and you just are not going to go wrong.

Good luck with the allocation and ordering process and keep us posted.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:59 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

I agree with the comments above. Personally, I'm not planning to own a Porsche without PCCBs again (never say never, but this is the plan). I think they are fantastic. My 991.1 TTS is my second car with the PCCB option; I had them on my 997.1 TT. One thing to consider for a car driven on the street is that the PCCB rotors and pads produce virtually no brake dust. You never have to worry about black dust all over your wheels again. This alone is almost worth the price for a street car. When you consider the life of PCCBs in a street car, it's a no brainer for me.

Good luck with your search!
Old 02-01-2017, 08:15 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,205 Likes on 2,716 Posts

Originally Posted by TXccc
Gentlemen (and any ladies out there!) - I'm hoping I can pull from the knowledge and experience of this group to help me answer a few questions. I've been sorting through the forum posts for a few weeks and let me say, you are a knowledgeable bunch. I've made the decision to purchase a 991.2 Turbo Cab (likely a TTS).

I'm pretty particular about getting exactly what I want which likely means I'll be getting in line to order a brand new one from the dealer (I know, the depreciation hit will hurt, but whoever said buying one of these makes any financial sense?).

I'm new to Porsche, this will be a 3rd car, weekend car, maybe the occasional track car but definitely not any major dedicated track time, and as result, I would benefit from your feedback on a few items. Of course, I want the Turbo S, for the extra horsepower and some of the goodies, and that S badge but what I am questioning is:

1) PCCB - Since this is not a track car, are the PCCB worth what appears to be a $20K rotor replacement costs down the road? Some discussions indicate they should last the life of the car (therefore worth it if I keep the car longterm) others claim they are not worth it? Any new opinions on that from this group?

2) Centerlock Wheels - they look good but I'm inclined to stay away from them for ease of tire changing and wheel options. I'm not close to a Porsche Dealer (I guess that is relative - I'm 30 miles away but that is a 2 hour drive with traffic).
2a) If I found a car on the lot that I liked with CLs, is it a relatively easy process to switch back to 5-lug wheels?

3) If I don't really care for the two items above, am I starting to seriously negate the value of the Turbo S over the Turbo?

Last question:
4) Based upon other forum posts, I gather the time from order to delivery could be as short as 4 months or up to 12 months or more - you guys think 6 months is a relatively good educated guess on order-to-delivery time?
4a) I'm going to check with the local Austin Porsche Dealer on allocations in the next few weeks when my travel schedule settles down, but it sounds like (per other posts) I should check all over the place and specifically with some of the large dealers in FL / NJ / and CA (and expect a 3% - 8% discount at most)?

Looking forward to getting to the point where i can contribute to the forum rather than just draft off of your knowledge so thank you for taking a few minutes to respond to my "newbie" questions.

Thanks,

TXccc
Austin, TX

1) PCCB: As others noted, if you get the TTS, the decision is made. I would not get these w/the TT. At over $9000, it just doesn't make sense. Benefits of longevity and no dust and performance are real. Ironically, if you track - I would NOT get them. Cost of replacement is too great. On a road car, they are fantastic.

2) I went back and forth on CLs for my Turbo, but decided on 5 lug. I have a local dealer, but I worried about getting a flat on the road - or if I ever decided on getting new wheels (or spacers for that matter). Aftermarket CL wheels are inherently heavier than their 5 lug counterpart, and more expensive. I suspect that TTS resale would suffer without CL wheels, as this is the stock option.

3) The performance of the standard TT is phenomenal. 0-60 times between the TT and TTS is the same at 2.6 secs. 1/4 mile time on the TT is at 10.7 seconds. I'm sure on a roll or highway, the TTS shows it's colors or at higher speeds. Real world use may not show a huge difference between the two.

I chose Turbo, b/c I wanted to keep this car <$175k. That said, if you have no budget, there is no reason NOT to get a TTS. If you want to get PCCBs, Centerlocks and PDCC then you should consider TTS -- adding those options close the gap quickly.

Personally, I went with options that are not standard on the Turbo - ie Burmester, glass sunroof, some exterior trim options. Similarly equipped, a TTS would cost over $25,000 more than my Turbo build. I couldn't justify it. You may be different.

If the delta gets close - keep in mind TTS resale should be better than the TT. I think a TT makes good sense if at a reasonable pricepoint. In a way it's a good deal compared to a loaded c4S, for instance.

4-6 mos is a reasonable timeframe.

I got my order for 7% discount. Arrives in April/May.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:44 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Pretty much what they said.

If you must have the "S" badge then you will get PCCBs. If you want to track it more than a few times and if you are not a pretty-experienced track driver you will need to swap out the PCCBs for steel brakes. If you want to track it a lot, you will go through $20k of PCCB brakes at least twice as quickly (based upon what I've read) as you would with $20k of steel brakes.

The .2TTS may have more headroom for aftermarket 'tunes' due to the mildly-larger turbos. This might be important if you are 'into' 'tunes.' In stock form the .2 TTS performance - in terms of acceleration - difference to the non-S TT may be super-subtle or imperceptible outside of controlled conditions.

If you can live without the "S" badge, and don't want PCCBs and would prefer the 5-lug wheels, then, IMO (and I put my money where my mouth/writing was in 2015 (see 991TT link in my sig)) the ~$20k difference between otherwise identical S and non-S builds for 40hp and 30 ft-lbs of torque on-top of 540 and 523, respectively, is not as valuable as getting exactly what you want and not getting what you don't want.

Wait time depends upon the dealer and their sales volume, allocation schedule, time of year, and if you want PTS and/or LTS and/or lots of exclusive CXX options.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:46 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

One other thing: if you decide on a TT non-S, don't skimp on PDCC.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:03 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by worf928
One other thing: if you decide on a TT non-S, don't skimp on PDCC.
PDCC is one of those rennlist options. Something that I'd normally never think about getting, but reading the forum makes you feel foolish for not getting something so indispensable. I somehow doubt I'd push this car to the limit where this is noticeable and our roads aren't so crappy as to need detached sways, but who knows. At the moment - the box is ticked, but I go back and forth.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:17 AM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Last question:

Looking forward to getting to the point where i can contribute to the forum rather than just draft off your knowledge so thank you for taking a few minutes to respond to my "newbie" questions.

Thanks,

TXccc
Austin, TX
On PCCB - if you're not tracking then it's a huge plus. Last forever and no brake dust.

On Centerlocks - I love the look of the center locks. But I have to go to dealer if I want to change tires - and the dealer is a very expensive place to change tires because they don't accept shipments from tire rack or allow you to bring the tires with you. 5 lug conversion is expensive.

On The Turbo S - it's the best choice. You want full leather, PCCB, Sport Chrono, LED lights, PDCC. The Turbo S is worth it just for these things.

On delivery time it depends on which production slot the dealer has. Dealers have a calendar of production slots, and anything more than 3 weeks out should be configurable. So you could get lucky, find a production slot 3 weeks from now, buy that car, and the car would be here in 8-10 weeks. On the other hand if the production slot is much later, then you would have a longer wait. I always ask which specific production slots do you have available before ordering so I know exactly when my car will arrive.
It takes about 10 days for production and 4-6 weeks for shipping. So getting production slot is main driver of timing.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:24 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
On PCCB - if you're not tracking then it's a huge plus. Last forever and no brake dust.

On Centerlocks - I love the look of the center locks. But I have to go to dealer if I want to change tires - and the dealer is a very expensive place to change tires because they don't accept shipments from tire rack or allow you to bring the tires with you. 5 lug conversion is expensive.

On The Turbo S - it's the best choice. You want full leather, PCCB, Sport Chrono, LED lights, PDCC. The Turbo S is worth it just for these things.

On delivery time it depends on which production slot the dealer has. Dealers have a calendar of production slots, and anything more than 3 weeks out should be configurable. So you could get lucky, find a production slot 3 weeks from now, buy that car, and the car would be here in 8-10 weeks. On the other hand if the production slot is much later, then you would have a longer wait. I always ask which specific production slots do you have available before ordering so I know exactly when my car will arrive.
It takes about 10 days for production and 4-6 weeks for shipping. So getting production slot is main driver of timing.
991.2 TT comes with leather, sport chrono, LED lights
Old 02-02-2017, 11:09 AM
TXccc
AutoX

Alright fellas - you do not disappoint! Thanks for the quick and thorough replies. Bad upon your feedback, here is where I am at:

PCCB - I was on this fence on how I felt about this, but you have convinced me that these are a good thing, especially considering I'm not tracking the car.

Centerlocks - will likely avoid these if I can, simply for ease of use.

Turbos S vs Turbo - for the PCCB, PDCC, and extra HP I think it is worth it plus seems almost easier to find a Turbo S than a Turbo on the lot these days (if I decide not to get in line for the allocation / order process).

Delivery time - thanks for sharing your wait times and schedules. Good advice on asking about the "production slot".

Ordering is likely ideal for me just from a timing standpoint as I could use the 6 months to clear some space in the stable for the new toy - my concern here would be having this push out to 9 months or 12 months as that would start to be painful - I don't think it would be considered PTS order as the build I did online seemed relatively standard with a few items like deviated stitching on the leather, aerokit in black, etc being "exclusive" options.

Thanks for spending a few minutes of your time to respond here and provide you insight. Much appreciated. Open to other comments and advice if you have them!

TXccc
Old 02-02-2017, 11:10 AM
TXccc
AutoX

"Based" upon your feedback (not "bad" upon your feedback - typo in my reply above.)
Old 02-02-2017, 11:15 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

1) PCCB - Since this is not a track car, are the PCCB worth what appears to be a $20K rotor replacement costs down the road? Some discussions indicate they should last the life of the car (therefore worth it if I keep the car longterm) others claim they are not worth it?
2) Centerlock Wheels - they look good but I'm inclined to stay away from them for ease of tire changing and wheel options.
1. If you are getting a cab and not seriously tracking, the PCCB is awesome. No dust, incredible stopping power, and very modern tech. There is no downside, and they will never need replacing, ever. (I tracked my last car 50 days with PCCB, and they still passed "Porsche certified pre-owned" testing.
2. Love the centerlocks, and spent about $500 for tools to remove and retorque them myself. They are a slight pain, but I dig them. If you did have a flat, Porsche Roadside Assist will tow it to a dealer for free (within reason).
2a. Cannot easily/economically change to 5-lug after the fact, but aftermarket CL are also plentiful and very lightweight. I upgraded to HRE P101 CL.
3. Yes, but you decide TT/TTS based on your passion and soul. Would you feel like you regretted not getting the TTS engine? TT probably holds resale value % slightly better. With a cab, it's less important, honestly.
4. If you are not doing PTS, then 5-6 months is very normal, and I've never ordered a car that didn't come in 3-4 weeks early.
4a. 5% off is nothing, and if you call the next town over from Austin...whatever that city is...they will do the deal for 6-8% off. I found a dealer 100 miles away from me willing to do 10% off. Mid-sized dealers are good to work with, especially in smaller markets or big markets with multiple dealers. They discount bigger for customers that will simply just pay and leave town. Make the transaction easier, less laborious and buy on price.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:25 AM
TXccc
AutoX

Originally Posted by Randyc151
4. If you are not doing PTS, then 5-6 months is very normal, and I've never ordered a car that didn't come in 3-4 weeks early.
4a. 5% off is nothing, and if you call the next town over from Austin...whatever that city is...they will do the deal for 6-8% off. I found a dealer 100 miles away from me willing to do 10% off. Mid-sized dealers are good to work with, especially in smaller markets or big markets with multiple dealers. They discount bigger for customers that will simply just pay and leave town. Make the transaction easier, less laborious and buy on price.
Thanks Randy! Great advice overall and good insight on the order time and discount. I haven't gone into full attack mode on the dealers yet, but will leverage this advice when I get to that point in a few weeks.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:03 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Alright fellas - you do not disappoint! Thanks for the quick and thorough replies. Bad upon your feedback, here is where I am at:

PCCB - I was on this fence on how I felt about this, but you have convinced me that these are a good thing, especially considering I'm not tracking the car.

Centerlocks - will likely avoid these if I can, simply for ease of use.

Turbos S vs Turbo - for the PCCB, PDCC, and extra HP I think it is worth it plus seems almost easier to find a Turbo S than a Turbo on the lot these days (if I decide not to get in line for the allocation / order process).

Delivery time - thanks for sharing your wait times and schedules. Good advice on asking about the "production slot".

Ordering is likely ideal for me just from a timing standpoint as I could use the 6 months to clear some space in the stable for the new toy - my concern here would be having this push out to 9 months or 12 months as that would start to be painful - I don't think it would be considered PTS order as the build I did online seemed relatively standard with a few items like deviated stitching on the leather, aerokit in black, etc being "exclusive" options.

Thanks for spending a few minutes of your time to respond here and provide you insight. Much appreciated. Open to other comments and advice if you have them!

TXccc
I'm of the mind that if you want PCCB, you just need to go TTS. By the time you spec a TT and add PCCB, you are well into TTS territory and it just doesn't make sense financially.

Not a bad problem to have - either way you get a killer car.

Quick Reply: Advice from the 991.2 TT / TTS Brain-Trust (that is you!)