Sponsored by: Road Spy

$100K over sticker

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2023, 12:36 PM
Turbo Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by John D II
I have a different view of this - IMO, there are a lot of reasons to own a GT car, if you enjoy sporty driving. I have both, a highly modified 991.2 turbo S and a 991.2 GT3 RS. I have been a Porsche 911 owner for decades, beginning with a 1972 911T in the 1980's and have owned several modified Porsche turbos since the 993 turbo generation and love the Porsche turbo platform. In my real world driving experience, I feel that all the talk of the turbo being much faster is a little deceiving and is largely based on bench racing paper stats. Certainly in a straight line 1/4 mile or 1/2 mile run the turbo is faster, but who ever does that on the street. Get them both on a curvy back road and the heavy, slower shifting turbo has it's hands full to keep pace with a GT3, especially a .2 RS. The normally aspirated 520 HP MOTOR defies it's paper specs and punches way above the perceived performance, the motor is explosive, shifts are lightening quick like a video game and the 500 lbs. lighter weight makes up for a lot of horsepower, all of which make the GT car extremely quick from point to point through mountain twisties and the like. It is a force to be reconned with. But it's not all about power/speed, as they are pretty equal in the wild, it's about the experience and the fun factor. The GT3 is a true race car for the street, close in nature to the actual cars Porsche uses to compete and who doesn't want to experience that. The entire experience in a GT car with the light weight feel, 9,000 RPM'S, incredible connection to the road constant feedback and motorsport sound track provides a thrill that the turbo lacks, no matter what you do to it. They both have their sweet spots, but for a weekend blast through the countryside, give me the keys to the GT3. It makes for an epic adventure and a most enjoyable day. A long weekend away with the wife, nice drive to the office, even PCA rallies and many other uses, the turbo is great, but when you really want to feel the Porsche race DNA and have a special driving event, the GT3 is the ticket. Personally, I often find myself wishing the turbo had more revs to go before shifting, along with wishing it shifted quicker and was lighter and stiffer. They both have their strengths in spades, buy to discount the GT cars based on highway and luxury features, stiffer suspension (IMO, this is a plus and is actually not bad unless you are commuting with it over potholes), I feel is a mistake and I just can't agree. But that's why they offer both - two very different experiences.

Here is a short video that sums up the GT3 experience pretty well - I think this guy nails it, except my RS does not moan and creak when cold :-) :
https://youtu.be/JccSPQEhdsk?list=PL...lweZ-AnzujnI8x
Wow! Fantastic write up. Thanks for this!
The following users liked this post:
John D II (02-18-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 04:46 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 338 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
GT2RS is an interesting blend of both.
onfireTTS, Yes it is, as you know, it's a crazy over the top machine. More of a high powered, lightweight turbo, very fast and a handful being RWD with that much power. It's also stiffer, heavier and faster than a GT3 RS, a true track weapon for an experienced driver that can handle RWD with that much power at high speeds. It requires a great deal of skill and nerves to drive fast! What the GT3RS offers is the normally aspirated 9,000 RPM theatre in a very light chassis and power you can put to the ground all day long with the ultimate soundtrack. You can drive it hard without worrying too much about losing control, so it's just a lot of fun to operate and it's a very quick car, a very involving car that works well on the street. The GT2 is a crazy machine for sure, but it lacks the very special motor that makes the GT3 what it is - the GT3 RS is not all about raw power, it's the balance of everything done so well, it's like a spiritual experience. There are many video reviews of GT2RS vs. GT3RS where the cars are driven back to back and every one that I have seen, the driver concludes he preferred the GT3RS. It's just a very special driving experience and I understand why they would conclude that. I know that as soon as I had the chance to really drive one, I wanted one right away. I used to want a GT2RS, but no longer, I love the character of the GT3RS and could not be happier. I urge anyone that has not driven one to try one, but if you do, go into it knowing you very well may want one after the drive :-)
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook
Old 02-18-2023, 05:05 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,228 Likes on 705 Posts

The 3RS always steals the show. Not only does the car handle and maneuver with scalpel like precision but so does the engine and throttle. It's like being able to hear and modulate every single individual RPM 7501, 7502, 7503, 7504 etc.

Also as much as many of us love the 6MT, the PDK is the true transmission for the GT3 and gives you even more of that connected feel to the car. It's truly an engineering marvel.

Quick Reply: $100K over sticker