Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Looks mean...nice stance
Old 08-29-2017, 10:13 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Jean
So how far have you guys on this 991 Turbo forum modified your TT for the track?

Contrary to any common sense and wisdom, it looks like I am going a bit too deep into modifications on a heavy 4WD for time attack and hillclimb racing, but the car seems to be super competitive..!

Anyone else here have gone that slippery slope ? Pictures, mod lists anything would be interesting to see.
I can't offer what you asked for, but beautiful car! If you get around to it I'd love to follow a thread on your adventures with it.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:49 AM
Nordic Flyer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So how far have you guys on this 991 Turbo forum modified your TT for the track?

Contrary to any common sense and wisdom, it looks like I am going a bit too deep into modifications on a heavy 4WD for time attack and hillclimb racing, but the car seems to be super competitive..!

Anyone else here have gone that slippery slope ? Pictures, mod lists anything would be interesting to see.

Looks sharp
Old 08-30-2017, 02:21 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by ace37
I can't offer what you asked for, but beautiful car! If you get around to it I'd love to follow a thread on your adventures with it.
Thank you, I will see if I can get myself to do that

Nanook, Nordic Flyer, thanks!

Would love to know more about what the forum members are doing to their TT and what kind of results they are achieving so that we can learn from each other and avoid spending unnecessary money testing!
Old 08-30-2017, 03:13 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Nothing crazy: Techart lowering springs, Sharkwerks exhaust, GT3/GT3RS/GT4 PCCB pads, Cantrell Motorsports half cage, custom Cobra Misano 30th seats with sub-strap pass through, Schroth harnesses, Awe Tuning wind deflectors, HRE P101 lightweight wheels, Cup2 tires, GT3RS side skirts, Aim Solo DL data/video logger, and removed as much as much weight as possible in the form of rear seats, front trunk accessories. I also use Castrol React brake fluid!
Old 08-30-2017, 03:38 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Randy What would you consider a great decision you've made or a bad one..

Stock GT3 pads are good enough for aggressive track driving the TT?

How are your lap times like when compared to similarly well driven GT3RS for example?
Old 08-30-2017, 05:08 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Thanks Randy What would you consider a great decision you've made or a bad one..

Stock GT3 pads are good enough for aggressive track driving the TT?

How are your lap times like when compared to similarly well driven GT3RS for example?
This is not my first TTS for track use, so I'm very comfortable with each of the choices. The stock GT3 pads are as good as any, cheaper, and behave a little better on the road after a track weekend. I'm typically just ahead of a 991 GT3RS at VIR. We're both doing 2:02-2:04 on Cup2 tires, which is not bad for a street car. I have not ever seen a 991 GT3 do under 2:05.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:37 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151
Nothing crazy: Techart lowering springs, Sharkwerks exhaust, GT3/GT3RS/GT4 PCCB pads, Cantrell Motorsports half cage, custom Cobra Misano 30th seats with sub-strap pass through, Schroth harnesses, Awe Tuning wind deflectors, HRE P101 lightweight wheels, Cup2 tires, GT3RS side skirts, Aim Solo DL data/video logger, and removed as much as much weight as possible in the form of rear seats, front trunk accessories. I also use Castrol React brake fluid!
Are you still using the OEM rotors or switched to something else?
Old 08-31-2017, 02:01 AM
kart driver
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 50 Posts

Have you heard anything positive or negative of DCS module?
Is it worth installing it if a car sees more spirited street driving?

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8952...-module-8.html
Old 09-03-2017, 06:00 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 423 Likes on 181 Posts

Nice set up Randy, this fall I will be putting roll cage in.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:59 PM
nolimits
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nolimits
Got to the track and had a chance to run this set-up more. Goal was to maintain street ride but improve track ride in Sport without harshness. Firmer cornering, less brake dive and acceleration squat, better transient response, flexibility to tune and change configuration. Camber at 2.8 & 2.4. Widened front end, and improved stick all around with the R's over stock of course.

Comments:

Rennline mesh grille guards – center and sides, front bumper has to come off, so a bit of a pain. The mesh is alloy and stronger than some of the plastics so was worth the effort to me.

AWE mirror wind deflectors – worked as advertised, easy install, front leading corner of both has no mount so they are loose up there. Easy to fix and modify sometime.

Pagid RSC1 pads - more even modulation and not the high initial bite as OEM with ceramics.

Tarett front camber plates, front lower control arms, axel spacer kit, shims, lower control arm spacers, rear long & medium upper control arms, boot ends – This set-up is great, it gave me the camber adjustability I wanted and more. Now soft tires can be run with even wear, temperatures, and proper full contact patch advantage. Added much better road feel and responsiveness. Some rubber bushings were replaced with mono/spherical so some less deflection, but enough rubber left to keep DD ride.

DSC V2 controller - Easy install, product does what is advertised well. Brake dive and acceleration squat were cut in about half I’d say. Ride on initial travel of shocks is smooth but does firm up well upon harder cornering and Gs. Better stability. Street is good, but Sport is definitely improved.

Sharkworks catback exhaust - brought some life to things, at start-up fast idle they are some louder. Once idle settles noise is a little more than OEM. Things change upon throttle or above 2000 rpm. They sound off at a nice medium level and have some deceleration burble. Great happy medium to me, quiet at freeway low revs, but anytime you get on it sound arrives. Not like a GT3 rev to 9k or a catless header system by any means, but a good street compromise.

OEM wheels, powder coated, Trofeo Rs – Nice stick as expected over OEM PZero, they will wear quick too, no surprise.

Feel and handling – Overall car has more road feel and control, little more noise on rough surfaces. Going to try some track tuning of DSC and more tire pressure changes, default DSC is very good though. The OEM understeer is gone and the car can be driven with the rear as needed. Really happy with changes to the car and would recommend something similar for those with same goals. If you’ve driven fully set-up track cars this is not going to compare with the taught-ness, rigidity, flatness and turn-in of a car with firm springs/coilovers, steel bushings, big sways, or raw exhaust sounds. But I can’t think of a better dual purpose ride though!

Hats off to a couple of shops in particular, Cantrell Motorsports, and Tarett Engineering. Great folks to work with and the package hit the bulls eye for my wants.
Update to this and original post #42:

Camber now at 3.0 & 2.6. Been running the DSC V2 on default settings since I got it this season. Finally got around to installing the interface, fully reading the manual, and adjusting calibrations for what I want. All I can say is WOW ! Highly recommend the DSC. The default config it comes with is an improvement over OEM in both street and track applications, but there’s still lots more if you want it. We give up 400ish lbs to the 911GT’s but the AWD, AWS, and DSC help add a good amount of mechanical grip.

For the track I still wanted to firm up the car additionally in high speed corners and decrease dive and squat more. Firming shock calibrations even more from the DSC defaults for Sport mode really did the trick. That table config impacts/cascades to many other tables and parameters in the DCS app. In one particular rising corner I use to have to go from full throttle to maintenance briefly while tracking out and walking the edge. Now it’s flat out with confidence and I had to change how I take some other corners too, dang. Thanks to DCS for a great product and their support. On to some fine tuning and testing on other tracks.

Last edited by nolimits; 09-04-2017 at 05:21 AM.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:59 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

My new 2018 is ready for the track and AutoX. At least for now. Thanks to the input from all on this thread for helping along the way. Current set up is: GMG lowering springs, Michelin Cup 2 tires, Castrol SRF brake fluid, Zunsport front grilles, BBI roll/harness bar, OEM GT2 driver's seat, and OMP harness. Current alignment is max stock camber at 1.00/2.00. Was going to go more but wanted to get a feel for the car first. Still considerably more aggressive camber than stock delivery. Will probably change to GT3 brake pads after first DE.
Attached Images  
Old 09-09-2017, 01:17 AM
nolimits
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Hoosier R7 & Wheels, Suggestions?

What has anyone done that worked on our cars? Caliper clearance seems to be the issue, is there a solution?
Old 09-09-2017, 06:05 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

What has anyone done that worked on our cars? Caliper clearance seems to be the issue, is there a solution?
These 19" dax wheels clear the PCCB.

http://www.daxwheels.com/collectie/dax1040/

I use 19" OZ Forgiata on steel brakes, here with R7 265/35 Fr and 325/30 Rear. Lowered 20mm. Surprisingly didn't save any weight with this setup vs stock 20" and Trofeo R. Had to remove the metal dust protection behind the discs on the 19s

Old 09-09-2017, 06:36 AM
Nordic Flyer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update to this and original post #42:

Camber now at 3.0 & 2.6. Been running the DSC V2 on default settings since I got it this season. Finally got around to installing the interface, fully reading the manual, and adjusting calibrations for what I want. All I can say is WOW ! Highly recommend the DSC. The default config it comes with is an improvement over OEM in both street and track applications, but there’s still lots more if you want it. We give up 400ish lbs to the 911GT’s but the AWD, AWS, and DSC help add a good amount of mechanical grip.

For the track I still wanted to firm up the car additionally in high speed corners and decrease dive and squat more. Firming shock calibrations even more from the DSC defaults for Sport mode really did the trick. That table config impacts/cascades to many other tables and parameters in the DCS app. In one particular rising corner I use to have to go from full throttle to maintenance briefly while tracking out and walking the edge. Now it’s flat out with confidence and I had to change how I take some other corners too, dang. Thanks to DCS for a great product and their support. On to some fine tuning and testing on other tracks.
Thanks for sharing this info about DSC V2.
I really find this interesting and it will definately be my next modification.

Quick Reply: Tracking the Turbo