Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Consensus on stock exhaust and, who is considering getting an AM system?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 10:47 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ajag
I've got the Fabspeed full (headers, sport cats, x-pipe), and I'm happy w/ it. Not obnoxiously loud, but a monster on WOT and more aggressive off throttle burbling. There is a lot more discussion of the AM exhausts on 6speed, so you may want to check that out. The stock is very good, no doubt, but I wasn't going to turn down a free exhaust in exchange for a few weeks of development time in mid-winter. It's noticeably faster, as well, spooling the turbos quick. This is borne out by the dyno plots w/ gains of 30hp and 40tq. So essentially it should be at S performance levels now.

Unless Porsche can directly tie any issues to the exhaust, there won't be any warranty problems, hell most large Porsche dealers (including mine) sell and install exhausts themselves. Now ECU flashes on the other hand, that's definitely something you're rolling the dice with.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...w-reality.html
Thanks for posting your experiences so far Ajag. Appreciate it. I read over the linked thread and found some telling info amongst it. What stood out for me personally was your account of the interior sound volumes after the FS was fitted. I'm personally not sure I want to go down any road where the interior sound levels are raised beyond what they presently are with the stock system. As a general rule, once you raise the volume of the exterior engine note usually a bi-product of that is an increase in interior volumes and not necessarily in the right areas for the occupant/s.

The way the car sounds from inside is basically loud enough for me the way it is with exception to the scrolling of the turbos which would be nicer if there was more definition to the scrolling sound. Currently the boost sound is more of a hushing sound. Not bad, but maybe could be better. The rest is all pretty good though. I also concede that a good aftermarket set up usually results in some power gains if by not a great deal....which is nice. That said the way this car hauls now is more than just impressive so it is not as if I really need to go scrounging for a few extra ponies iykwim.

You say it becomes a monster? In what way?

Originally Posted by boxer-11
I'm sure this is a very subjective topic

I still haven't seen a definitive answer that going with AM exhaust will not invalidate the warranty...that would be a showstopper for some (many??) people I imagine.

I've driven the 997TT and have a 991TT. To my ears the sound of the 991 is night and day better. It's funny though. Below say 3.5k RPM in normal and sport mode the sounds is quiet and non-intrusive in the cabin -- seems good for day-to-day around town and the neighborhood. Above 4k RPM is sounds way more aggressive to me...in a really good way Of course in sport plus it holds the gear to the red line a lot...but you're going 70+ MPH in second so there's not much shifting action; at least on public roads Maybe that is telling me a need a shorter geared (GT3 anyone?? ) vehicle more than it indicates a need for AM exhaust.

Also my criteria are all about what it sounds like in the cabin. It's my daily driver and I drive it rather than stand around while others drive by me...exterior sound would seem to be about effect on others' ears while is more of a "don't care" for me personally. I find it odd that most of the videos with sound clips so far focus on exterior that you as driver most of the time never hear (and most of them seem to be recorded with pretty low bandwidth microphones so I wonder how representative those clips really are).

On balance, I'm personally pretty happy with stock...clips I've audited so far for AM haven't swayed me...perhaps I need to hear some in person or with better in-cabin recordings...that and knowing that my warranty doesn't immediate go bye-bye might tempt me to think about AM more seriously.
Very true point. You can't drive and stand on the sidewalk at the same time. I have yet to figure out how to do that LOL.

Also agree too much focus is placed by the AM's on the outside sound levels which most on the sidewalk don't want want to hear anyway.....they prefer quiet and definitely not obnoxious.

Originally Posted by todo
There is a neat Capristo Valve open switch for the 458 Italia - all it does is that it opens the valve flaps on the 458 at low RPM giving the 458 the sound at low RPM as it on the high RPM.
You can open or close the flaps using the switch remotely and the switch costs 650 bucks plus install.
I my case unfortunately my dealer would not install stating warranty but I know many Ferrari dealers will install without a problem.
Since the 991 Turbo seems to be setup the same way as the 458 - to sound more aggressive at high RPM, it would be awesome if Capristo made a switch like this for the 991.
I would put such a mod in my 991 Turbo S cab in a heart beat as it does not mess with anything and only the valve stays open all the time instead of high RPM.
I would never touch a Crapisto myself. I knew a member over on 6 that got one and had nothing but problems. He ended up sending it back. I think these valved systems are destined for problems even on NA cars least of all turbos which generate higher heat loads.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:19 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by zedosix
Just opened it up first time last night and ya, it isn't what my ZR1 was by any means but I was more than surprised with how mean it sounds stock. I'm leaving it alone. We gotta watch it up here, cause 50kms over and they take the car and your license. This car is just too hard to drive at the speed limit.
Know exactly what you mean. And we also have very harsh penalties here at nanny's global HQ. As it is they can hear you coming. You don't need to give the cops any more advance warning.

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
The fact that the op, the most ardent defender of europipe, is refraining from installing one speaks volumes.
Like I said, they all sound like crap, all.
I will never say never Doc....been there done that. I have no shame in saying EP is in my experience the ONLY option truly worthy of a car of this type.....that is if I wanted to go down the route of an AM system that is. Now time will tell but for now I'm pretty satisfied......but, I will never say never. Time does funny things.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:48 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Just back from a 650km drive (to Mosport). My only negative comment driving long distances is the excessive droning at 1600-1800 rpm if you have it in 7th gear and cruise set for 115km/hr. It gets a bit annoying. Setting it to "Sport" it cruises in 6th gear at ~2-2100rpm and the drone is much less.

I can't imagine any AM system reducing this, but only amplifying it!!

Bottom line, it's so much better in EVERY WAY.. except for sound than my GT3... It's wins auditory hands down!

Old 05-05-2014, 09:23 AM
speed21
Banned

Anyone read this?
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...st-info-3.html

Post #6, 16 and Stef's last are interesting. Stef says he got rid of all the drone.

Not sure if that means the interior sound is better than stock in every way....but still quiet enough for the more conservative type of owner that finds the interior levels relatively fine, with exception to the reported drone in the taller gears in normal mode.

Does anyone here know of anyone with this system on their car? I know it is only recently released but Im sure someone has it that can review it here.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:30 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Just back from a 650km drive (to Mosport). My only negative comment driving long distances is the excessive droning at 1600-1800 rpm if you have it in 7th gear and cruise set for 115km/hr. It gets a bit annoying. Setting it to "Sport" it cruises in 6th gear at ~2-2100rpm and the drone is much less.

I can't imagine any AM system reducing this, but only amplifying it!!

Bottom line, it's so much better in EVERY WAY.. except for sound than my GT3... It's wins auditory hands down!

Yes this is what I would like to know. As a general rule what you say is correct where increase of exterior results in an increase on the interior..

I know what you mean when you say there is a drone of sorts in the taller gears while in normal. Sports is relatively fine, and that is where I find myself most of the time. Normal just tends to reach for a taller gear all the while which I guess is understandable given that mode is for optimum economy and cruising etc.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:57 AM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

How does the sound of the stock Turbo exhaust compare to a C2S with PSE? I love the sound of my exhaust and will miss it. Is the Turbo much quieter?
Old 05-05-2014, 01:00 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Speed21: For someone who travels w/ passengers frequently or who is an audiophile and wants to appreciate the Burmester, I'd stick w/ OEM exhaust. I commute mostly on two lane highways and a low traffic interstate to work, so for my purposes it's great. I use sport+ for stints frequently on a daily basis, onramps, etc., so it's a nice eyeopener in the morning. By monster at WOT I mean it spools up faster than stock and is fairly loud.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:33 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by enzom
How does the sound of the stock Turbo exhaust compare to a C2S with PSE? I love the sound of my exhaust and will miss it. Is the Turbo much quieter?
Yes!
Old 05-05-2014, 09:00 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by ajag
Speed21: For someone who travels w/ passengers frequently or who is an audiophile and wants to appreciate the Burmester, I'd stick w/ OEM exhaust. I commute mostly on two lane highways and a low traffic interstate to work, so for my purposes it's great. I use sport+ for stints frequently on a daily basis, onramps, etc., so it's a nice eyeopener in the morning. By monster at WOT I mean it spools up faster than stock and is fairly loud.
Ajag: I fit into the category where it's usually just me in the car 80% of the time and, I look for any opportunity to use the equipment properly iykwim. You will very rarely find me ambling along in the middle lane if ever. I like my solitude at times (sure) yet I also like to hear the engine note enough to know I am in a high performance car without being blown out of the cabin in that process. This is where I have personally found in past 911's gone by there has proven to be very few AM manufacturers that actually can provide that result successfully without introducing negatives. In fact I can count them on two fingers (EP and Akra to be specific). But with this car as the engine note is really quite good I am hoping for some feedback from those with similar tastes that perhaps still see a reason to step it a touch, and I mean a touch and, only in certain areas such as spool up note and a fraction more noise at WOT on the outside. I could be wrong here but it appears that what you have with the FS may render the car far too unusable for me on a long trip due to the significant increase in cabin noise. Am I correct? Or is it just a minor increase?

Another thing. I notice there appears to be more discussion on exhausts for the new 991tt car going on over on 6 whereas here at RL it is pretty quiet in that area of discussion. Pity we don't have owners here that have taken the plunge nominating themselves as you have done and reporting on their user experiences.
Surely not everyone who has bought this car is satisfied to the point of leaving it as is?

I just read this thread and post this morning (read post 3) http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...akrapovic.html

...which has again reminded me that maybe EP has the perfect solution. I would love to hear from someone who has taken the plunge with that system. On my last car I had one and wow it was truly perfect for that car. The 991tt is a different animal again and mindful Porsche has supplied the car out of the box with such an improved interior note over any past modal of TT I wonder exactly what the differences will be with that EP system.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:32 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You should be the first, bite the bullet and install one, can always pump it if you don't like the noise. Only way to know, but I think you'll regret that decision.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:36 PM
Gleek48
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about just replacing the crossover pipes in the back? Keeps the same cats. Sharkwerks is making one.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:39 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

6speed much better forum for TT discussion. RL stale and old. People here more into avatar pictures.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:14 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
You should be the first, bite the bullet and install one, can always pump it if you don't like the noise. Only way to know, but I think you'll regret that decision.
You are dead right doc in that there would never be a problem shifting an EP and getting a reasonable chunk of money back, but I do kinda like the idea of getting a little reassurance beforehand, and preferably from someone with one, especially knowing there is money involved to change the system. Knowing the car is still under warranty I personally don't see any issues with the EP given the past sentiments of my dealer after they saw and heard the EP I had on my 997tt. That said, at this early stage in the game of ownership i'm still very much on the fence in general in so far as doing anything at all and was kinda hoping to hear something special that may motivate me in going to the next step. I have full faith in the EP product as having the right construction and external sound, and the fact that it actually looks like it belongs on a car of this expense (and caliber) is also re assuring when i look at the other products on offer. But again, being unsure of what the real outcome would be from the inside i am very much on the fence. The 997tt EP system was indeed fine, a huge improvement over stock in every way shape and form, but the fact that the new car sounds 90% right as it is (stock) I'd need to preferably know more about the sound behaviour from the inside before pulling any triggers on an EP.

Originally Posted by Gleek48
What about just replacing the crossover pipes in the back? Keeps the same cats. Sharkwerks is making one.
No that would not be an option for me even though I have a great deal of respect for Sharkwerks and their products. I feel i will definitely need a muffler to restrain sound levels to my liking and then there is the issue of the cats still remaining stock and that is generally where a lot of the performance is gained by the 100 cel cats of EP's which are massive and really up to the job for the long haul. The EP will also give a performance improvement you can feel too, more than any swapping of muffler for pipes arrangement will do. To me there is a lot more to the exercise than just creating a louder exterior sound. More important to me is the interior sound levels and not introducing any unwanted noises from the engine bay. I have no doubt EP wont drone as I've had their system before so that point is not really so much an issue.

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
6speed much better forum for TT discussion. RL stale and old. People here more into avatar pictures.
It is odd that you say that. I find that the discussion is generally far more level headed and realistic here on RL than what generally goes on over there. Plus discussion is allowed to run its course here without all the nanny mods closing threads and shielding their pets from exposure which what happens on 6 all the time. It is pathetic actually. It is definitely way better run here on RL no question about that and the mods are infinitely more realistic and reasonable. It can be fun playing on 6 but there isn't much real over there when you take a close look. Actually I have come to the conclusion the mods there like it like that...silly really. That said I would agree the 991tt discussion is pretty tame here at the moment but I'm sure that will change over time. The 991tt is still very new in the market and owners are generally still finding their feet it seems. Just my opinion anyway..

Last edited by speed21; 05-06-2014 at 12:30 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:46 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

I have to say the stock system really does sound good vs the previous 997.2tt and 997.1tt. It's clear that they made an effort or at least a lot more than the last go around. A few of our local California based sharks still wanted more sound- at least on the outside and with the windows down. The dealers here and emissions are strict so changing cats is a no no for street cars... So we sort of did something similar to the 997.2 set up we had. That one is louder outside but still doesn't drone inside. If we were to do something like that on the gen1 TT however it _would_. The dfi engine, cats etc... on the later cars do allow one to get a good bit more open that's for sure.

I've got a blown ear drum from surfing a couple of years ago so I'm a lot more of a wuss than I used to be and sensitive to drone. This time around was certainly more complex with more tubing, bends, welds etc... And like speed21 says the stock one kind of / sort of has some to it. I didn't want to add anymore that's for sure. So in the end we didn't induce more drone. It does burble a lot more (some might like and some may not), hiss with turbo spool etc... but since we're still retaining the stock cats we're compliant here for warranty/emissions purposes. If I were going for power etc... I'd use higher-flow cats but I don't think I would do so in combination with ours as it would get too loud (at least for me). For now we'll be offering it locally and to folks that had our 997.2TT set up...

Old 05-06-2014, 05:05 PM
Gleek48
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sharkster-

Does the 991TT/S have both the center rear muffler and the side cans?

Quick Reply: Consensus on stock exhaust and, who is considering getting an AM system?