A quick review

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 10:01 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default A quick review

Hello guys and gals,

My name is Sam and I was on the GT3 list for a long time and my build date was November (now delayed). Long story short, I was lured into one of the first two Turbo S launch cars my dealer got Thursday. I bought it after a 1 minute test drive. I took it to the track after 114 miles, which is good enough (I hope). I traded a 991 C4S that I bought in January and tracked extensively. I've owned P cars before but never a Turbo. I will point out my observations during two track sessions Saturday, thought you may be interested. Remember, I am comparing it to an all wheel drive 991, the C4S.

1-Of course, gobs of power. Heart rate up there but you all knew that.
2-Very noticeable difference in all wheel traction. While I frequently questioned if the front tires where doing much in the C4S, the percentage increase of torque input to the front in the Turbo is noticeable. The car gets pulled out of corners much easier.
3-RWS. Yes it is imperceptible but if you are tracking this car after another without it, it is most certainly noticeable because the car turns in much easier and lead to me to hit the apexes (?apices) earlier despite using the same turn in points as before. Once I figured it out, it was great. According to my AIM Solo, most of my min speeds where up 3-5 mph!! And that's in a car that is 300 lbs heavier. Same tires, so the min speed increase should be due to RWS.
4-The new PCCB are shockingly good. As I mentioned on the GT3 thread, I ended up using the same breaking points that I used for the C4S despite a 10-15 mph increase in speed. Zero fade. In the C4S, I used Motul 600 and I had little albeit noticeable at the end of the session. Here, none, with stock fluid.
5-PDCC. This car is softer on the road than the C4S so I was worried it would lean excessively on track. Not so, the PDCC does an awesome job at minimizing lean, it's almost perfect.
6-Lap times. I am used to the local track (Motorsport Ranch in Cresson, TX, 70 miles away) and have consistent lap times there. The fastest I have done in my C4S on street tires, in a clockwise direction was 1:25:xx. In the Turbo S? 1:22:xx!!!! Mind you, I used to outrun GTRs on street tires, so it is not just the brutal acceleration, it's that plus the RWS plus the PCCBs plus whatever else is in there!! This thing blew my mind off and everyone at the track drooled.
7-Exhaust note. In normal and sport mode, sucks. In sport plus, its good (compared to the C4S sport exhaust which was flipping awesome), so that will need an upgrade. I rode with a friend of mine in his 997 TTS before and the 991's is definitely better but needs improvement, by a lot. Some may like it that way but I don't. If anyone has advice as to which is the best system (likely not available yet), please let me know. I heard Europipes and Sharkwerks.
8-Bermister. I had that in the C4S as well and if you ordered one, be prepared for an incredible experience. I had a Jag with Bang and Olfson and this trumps it. I have a new Range Rover Sport with Meridien and this trumps it too. Well worth the dough.

For the street, it is a less harsh ride than the C4S but waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more powerful. Scary powerful. My wife giggled when I floored it, then she said "this is much smoother than the other car". Yeah, I need a better exhaust. In our tight driveway at home, it is noticeable that the turning radius is smaller by a lot, thanks to RWS. Made my garbage can avoidance much easier.

I do not regret taking this over the GT3 and I am certain that if they put the same tires on both cars, the TTS will be faster than the GT3 on the 'ring but the tires won't last much at all. I have a deposit on the GT3 RS but not sure I'll do the trade in 1 1/2 years when my turn comes. Heck, I'm itching without the TTS tonight as it gets the Expel clear film put on it.

I hope this helps. What a car!!

Sam

PS: Understeer. Unquestionably less on the TTS in slower tight corners. Probably because of RWS as well.

Last edited by SamFromTX; 11-04-2013 at 10:14 PM. Reason: added PS
Old 11-04-2013, 11:20 PM
WaltB
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts

No question it is a huge leap over the C4S. I'd like to see the comparison to your buddies 997 Turbo S, especially if he has a tune and Euro Pipe.

Congrats om the new ride!

Walt
Old 11-04-2013, 11:29 PM
Love_Tacos_911
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the mini review Sam as I am trying to narrow my search down myself. Enjoy her and please post pics when you can.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:49 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Great review, thanks! Do you have the sportdesign side mirrors, and if so, did you notice if the buffeting problem is gone w/ windows down at the track?

Aside from the exhaust note, anything you miss compared w/ the C4S? How is the turbo lag?

To what do you attribute to a softer ride vs. the C4S, the weight?

Thanks again, post pics when you can!
Old 11-05-2013, 12:31 AM
991TurboS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the review! Did you do any Launch Control 0-60 times? I am curious what the real world time is compared to the Porsche claim?

Enjoy the TTS in good health.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:23 AM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the excellent write-up / review. Congrats!
Old 11-05-2013, 09:48 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the lap times at Cresson are impressive given that its a tight track.

My fav exhausts are Cargraphics and EP. Good luck.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:48 AM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 410 Likes on 184 Posts

I wish I could thank you for this nice review, but all you've done is make my wait (until 1st week in February) that much harder. :-)
Old 11-05-2013, 11:35 AM
Misplacedyankee
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

Nice write-up. Was your C4S a manual?

How do you like your new RRS. I am awaiting my order to come to the states...
Old 11-05-2013, 09:19 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by Misplacedyankee
Nice write-up. Was your C4S a manual?

No, it was PDK. The upshifts in the C4S gave me a push while in the Turbo, seamless.

How do you like your new RRS. I am awaiting my order to come to the states...
Love it. Faster on the track and clearly more nimble in tight parking spots.

Originally Posted by 991TurboS
Thanks for the review! Did you do any Launch Control 0-60 times? I am curious what the real world time is compared to the Porsche claim?
I didn't yet. While I tracked it, I thought I should wait a few hundred miles before I do that.

Originally Posted by 991Turbo_S
Thanks for the mini review Sam as I am trying to narrow my search down myself. Enjoy her and please post pics when you can.
I will. It's at the shop getting Expel clear wrap. Going to the track again Thursday, this time counterclockwise. I will also remove all the literature on the back and simply put "S" because stock chrome script is too flashy for my taste. There is a lot of red lights in the back but I'm thinking of painting the S yellow (to flow with the calipers).

Last edited by SamFromTX; 11-05-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:25 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by ajag
Great review, thanks! Do you have the sportdesign side mirrors, and if so, did you notice if the buffeting problem is gone w/ windows down at the track?

Aside from the exhaust note, anything you miss compared w/ the C4S? How is the turbo lag?

To what do you attribute to a softer ride vs. the C4S, the weight?

Thanks again, post pics when you can!
I do have those mirrors and the buffeting is less noticeable on the street not the track. I could never roll my window down in the C4S at highway speeds without cracking the passenger side open. Much better in the TTS.

I do not miss the C4S a bit (exhaust excluded). There is clear Turbo lag if you are in lower RPM in higher gears. I have the Turbo boost meter on the display and if I am in, for example, fourth gear at 2,000 RPM and floor it, you see the boost go up, not much accelerations then BAM! On the track, no lag and it seemed like the turbos where always spooled up. Not sure why is it softer, perhaps tuned that way intentionally?
Old 11-05-2013, 09:33 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by WaltB
No question it is a huge leap over the C4S. I'd like to see the comparison to your buddies 997 Turbo S, especially if he has a tune and Euro Pipe.

Congrats om the new ride!

Walt
He babies his car so we may never know. I note you have Euro pipes. Do those make a big difference and would you install them again if you started over? Those and the air filters are what my dealer recommends.

Sam
Old 11-05-2013, 10:35 PM
WaltB
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts

We should meet up sometime and you can hear for yourself and yes I would do it again. Funny I was just talking to my buddy Mark today, the tech that did your inspection, about your car.

PM me if you would like to meet up sometime.

Walt
Old 11-07-2013, 07:45 PM
PMAA
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 45 Posts

Is there a reason Porsche doesn't offer the pse option with the turbo?
Old 11-07-2013, 10:06 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by PMAA
Is there a reason Porsche doesn't offer the pse option with the turbo?
The exhaust has a valve that opens in Sport Plus and the sound difference is noticeable, which as close as you can get to sports exhaust in a Turbo. Turbo charged engines will never sound like NA ones because all the beautiful explosive noises get muffled as they pass through the Turbos.

Quick Reply: A quick review