Old 08-06-2024, 07:06 AM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 136 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Cecil69
@Roman ACS

I see you're out of Hatboro. Go Birds! I just moved to FL from Doylestown. I also purchased a Mr12Volt based on the discussion in this forum. I chose it over a GTA board only unit based on the "digital signal" claims here. I'm committed to the Mr12Volt unit. But I have to ask, is the delta between a digital only signal and routing through the Aux channel significant? I get it that converting back and forth causes degredation. But how does using the aux channel channel negatively impact that? it would be no different than actually plugging a device into the Aux port. No? And if we're connecting wirelessly, the compression for bluetooth is already an issue.

Which leads me to my last question. I know the unit comes with its own USB in. I plan to run that to the glovebox and toss my phone in there. Does Mr12Volt also use the USB input located in the center console of my 2014 Panamera running the Bose system? Today I connect there as an iPod device. Thanks in advance for your feedback on the product.
There is a noticeable difference in audio quality via aux.

The factory Bluetooth connection is poor a2dp and is a rather low quality connection. Mr12volt uses a combination a Bluetooth and wifi to allow for better audio quality. Which is also kind of the idea behind wireless connectivity and to avoid plugging in anywhere.

The included usb can be used as a hard line of needed. The power there is weak and not really designed to charge modern phones. It's used generally for playing content on a USB stick.

Mr12Volt does not use your factory USB. The car sees it as a TV module. So just imagine the things a TV in your dash would have access to.
​​​​​

Our website is now LIVE! please visit us at www.ACSByRoman.com

FREE INSTALL KIT AND CAR CHARGER WHILE SUPPLIES LAST!

On site install is available in the Philadelphia PA area as is Global shipping!

CLICK HERE JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP
Old 08-10-2024, 11:57 PM
Cecil69
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the response @Roman ACS .

I received my unit today and got it all hooked up. Some questions for Roman and the group.
  • I had to lose the Sirius XM board inside the PCM 3.1. The supplied motherboard screws (3 long and one short) wouldn't allow the Mr12Volt to clear the Sirius antenna. Is this normal? Did I order the wrong kit? Not the end of the world. But bummed I had to remove an option from the car.
  • When I plug into the USB in the center console, sound stops. The PCM starts routing it through the iPod channel. Is there no way to use that USB port and Mr12Volt at the same time? A setting in the PCM options maybe? I couldn't find one. Only solution is to purchase a cigarette lighter adapter and use that for charging.
  • What settings is everyone running on the display? I turned the brightness to zero and the other two sliders to about the middle. I'm so used to the HD display on my Cayman (Kenwood DDX9907) that I'm having a hard time reading stuff on this low res unit. Any optimum settings from the group are greatly appreciated. Not looking for a miracle. Just getting it as good as it can be. That said, any products out there that would replace the screen and keep the PCM guts? I assume the Mr12volt video card is capable of more than the screen can deliver.
My review of the product is pretty good thus far. The sound quality is definitely better than the PCM produces natively. The EQ works well. I'm extremely happy with the sound quality. Gotta be the best sound quality option out there by a large margin. The install was a bit fiddly. Too many different tutorials out there on Youtube. I wish the Mr12Volt vids were better produced. I used 3 different videos to figure it all out. But each tutorial was slightly different. Good thing I used to build my own PCs back in the day. Otherwise this job could get DIYers in over their heads. The ribbon anchors are total trash. Very fiddly. On the PCM, not the Mr12Volt. They are basically the same. But the Mr12Volt ones felt a lot more solid than the PCM ones. I installed in a 2014 Panamera and ran the wires to the passenger footwell and mounted the box up under the black plastic vent using Velcro strips. Works pretty well. And I ran the Mr12Volt USB to the glove box via iPhone cord. So I can plug in there. But as most have pointed out, that isn't charging your phone very fast. In terms of all of the offerings on the market, I'm aligned that this is the way to go. The other installs are easier. But you don't get all the features Mr12Volt gives you. The piggy back box is a PITA. But worth it.

I really want to mess with screen mirroring and video. I have YouTube TV Sunday Ticket. Does this mean I can watch my Eagles games on the PCM? Because that would rock! Albeit, the phone probably looks 10 times better.
Old 08-13-2024, 08:57 AM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 136 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Cecil69
Thanks for the response @Roman ACS .

I received my unit today and got it all hooked up. Some questions for Roman and the group.
  • I had to lose the Sirius XM board inside the PCM 3.1. The supplied motherboard screws (3 long and one short) wouldn't allow the Mr12Volt to clear the Sirius antenna. Is this normal? Did I order the wrong kit? Not the end of the world. But bummed I had to remove an option from the car.
  • When I plug into the USB in the center console, sound stops. The PCM starts routing it through the iPod channel. Is there no way to use that USB port and Mr12Volt at the same time? A setting in the PCM options maybe? I couldn't find one. Only solution is to purchase a cigarette lighter adapter and use that for charging.
  • What settings is everyone running on the display? I turned the brightness to zero and the other two sliders to about the middle. I'm so used to the HD display on my Cayman (Kenwood DDX9907) that I'm having a hard time reading stuff on this low res unit. Any optimum settings from the group are greatly appreciated. Not looking for a miracle. Just getting it as good as it can be. That said, any products out there that would replace the screen and keep the PCM guts? I assume the Mr12volt video card is capable of more than the screen can deliver.
My review of the product is pretty good thus far. The sound quality is definitely better than the PCM produces natively. The EQ works well. I'm extremely happy with the sound quality. Gotta be the best sound quality option out there by a large margin. The install was a bit fiddly. Too many different tutorials out there on Youtube. I wish the Mr12Volt vids were better produced. I used 3 different videos to figure it all out. But each tutorial was slightly different. Good thing I used to build my own PCs back in the day. Otherwise this job could get DIYers in over their heads. The ribbon anchors are total trash. Very fiddly. On the PCM, not the Mr12Volt. They are basically the same. But the Mr12Volt ones felt a lot more solid than the PCM ones. I installed in a 2014 Panamera and ran the wires to the passenger footwell and mounted the box up under the black plastic vent using Velcro strips. Works pretty well. And I ran the Mr12Volt USB to the glove box via iPhone cord. So I can plug in there. But as most have pointed out, that isn't charging your phone very fast. In terms of all of the offerings on the market, I'm aligned that this is the way to go. The other installs are easier. But you don't get all the features Mr12Volt gives you. The piggy back box is a PITA. But worth it.

I really want to mess with screen mirroring and video. I have YouTube TV Sunday Ticket. Does this mean I can watch my Eagles games on the PCM? Because that would rock! Albeit, the phone probably looks 10 times better.
You should NEVER remove the sat module. ALL kits purchased through ACSByRoman.com/shop have optional standoffs for satellite radio.

Factory usb plug is not meant to be used in condjuction with mr12volt. if you like you can use the usb in the harness but like the factory usb plug the charging power is weak. ALL kits purchased through ACSByRoman.com are currently receiving a solid metal HIGH SPEED usb car phone charger if they order the bundle with their kits (FREEEEEEEEEEE).

Ive never modified any settings for display. they are usually bright and crisp enough. Its very hard to attain the clarify of a glossy screen from a matt screen. The mr12volt hardware is more a connectivity solution than a video card. it just pushes data to your factory speakers and display.

I believe if you use the mlink app and use the mirror link function you may get youtube to work. I know other streaming services (netflix/amazon) can sense your streaming from phone to external screen and will NOT allow the video signal to pass, only audio.

I am currently working on making full walkthrough videos for US market cars to help with all these install issues. Until then please join the my facebook group (link in signature) and in the media/albums section i have install pics from many models.

Quick Reply: Another PCM3.1 CarPlay Kit Installed