Sponsored by: Road Spy

Another PCM3.1 CarPlay Kit Installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2024, 05:24 AM
uncle_sam
Advanced

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Another PCM3.1 CarPlay Kit Installed

After checking various threads on this forum and viewing YT videos, I decided to install the NM Automotive PCM3.1 Wireless CarPlay kit with compatible reverse camera. Got my local tuner's audio tech to install on my .1TTS though they're familiar with other brands (GTA, JoyeAuto, etc) but not NM. These kits involve replacing the sub-board (circuit) and ribbon connectors inside the PCM to activate wireless connection on Apple/Android phones. They come with plug&play wiring harness that connects like OEM to system. Some differences among the brands - the NM kit takes power directly from PCM connector (no separate fuse box link); and doesn't require tapping onto reverse lights for backup camera.

Unboxing the NM Auto CarPlay kit

The NM integration was seamless and supported by a detailed & clear instruction manual plus excellent customer service from the main man himself, Nick Marquis. Initially encountered a hitch after first install as the audio tech missed some notes from the manual. Nick assisted and clarified that - their bespoke color-coded ribbon connectors were required in lieu of the OEM ribbons inside the PCM, and also the black reverse cam wire needed proper grounding at the rear of the car.

Bespoke PCM ribbon connectors, color-coded

Proper sub-board location of ribbons

The kit is high quality and operates brilliantly. Despite the dated PCM3.1 unit, the clarity of my iPhone's CarPlay screen is excellent. Even the reverse camera is more than decent.

It's a great product. Though pricier than its rivals, the NM Auto in my view is worth it given the build quality, integration, seamless operation and ease of installation. Again, a shout out to Nick for his outstanding support. Here's a very happy camper!

Now my 991.1TTS is just missing the 20Hp grunt and the rotary drive mode dial on the SW of its .2TTS sibling. Ha, ha...
The following users liked this post:
DCsTTS (01-09-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 12:08 PM
Foosh
Pro

Received 374 Likes on 255 Posts

You mentioned "replacing" a board inside the 3.1 HU. Did you mean adding a board, which is what the extra ribbons are for? Do you still have all PCM 3.1 functionality?
Old 01-07-2024, 04:43 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

Add a board. Press Info key for a few seconds to flip between PCM and new unit.

The limitation is that volume plays through the Aux connector, so if listening to CD or Sat radio, you won't hear warnings on Waze.

I installed one of these for a friend, and it was very easy. I've also installed the 9xxresearch.com (based in Atlanta vs. the UK) unit. They are basically the same, but you need to take the faceplate apart to swap the cable in one but not the other.

There are several ways to route the camera. There was a recent thread on the 997 side that offered some interesting ideas.
Old 01-07-2024, 08:05 PM
uncle_sam
Advanced

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts

@Foosh @Wayne Smith : Yes, I stand corrected - means added a sub-board. Kit retains PCM functionality.
Foosh (01-08-2024)
Old 01-08-2024, 03:02 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

Very cool! I keep wanting to do this. Is this the best option?

BTW - that 20HP is easy to come up with and then some
Old 01-08-2024, 03:32 PM
Foosh
Pro

Opinions are all over the map on the best option for CarPlay. There are many ranging from new head units to adding boards and modules.

I used something called Mr12Volt, which adds the board, plus an external module that fits under the dash next to the steering column. It also keeps 100% PCM function. When I was researching, it was only one I saw that provided digital audio output. Other solutions are analog audio, which requires conversion of the digital signal to analog, which does degrade sound quality.

http://acsbyroman.com

Last edited by Foosh; 01-08-2024 at 03:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
imagerep (01-12-2024), rodsky (01-09-2024)
Old 01-09-2024, 01:44 PM
DCsTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Opinions are all over the map on the best option for CarPlay. There are many ranging from new head units to adding boards and modules.

I used something called Mr12Volt, which adds the board, plus an external module that fits under the dash next to the steering column. It also keeps 100% PCM function. When I was researching, it was only one I saw that provided digital audio output. Other solutions are analog audio, which requires conversion of the digital signal to analog, which does degrade sound quality.

http://acsbyroman.com
I've been looking at this one as well, how are you liking it?
Old 01-09-2024, 01:47 PM
Foosh
Pro

@DCsTTS I like the Mr12Volt solution a lot. It's just as good, if not better, than the OEM solution in our other vehicles. It also feels OEM.
DCsTTS (01-09-2024)
Old 01-09-2024, 06:06 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 899 Posts

I am potentially interested in this modification. Does the Mr12Volt product allow you to use the car’s voice control button to activate Siri?
Old 01-09-2024, 07:49 PM
Foosh
Pro

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I am potentially interested in this modification. Does the Mr12Volt product allow you to use the car’s voice control button to activate Siri?
I haven't actually tried using the OEM voice button. I just say, "Hey Siri." That works exactly the same as on my iPhone.
Dennis C (01-09-2024)
Old 01-09-2024, 11:24 PM
997turbbo
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

On my 15 I have Bluetooth audio I use that with the CarPlay works like oem
Old 01-10-2024, 01:44 PM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts

I'm happy to answer any specific Mr12volt questions you guys might have.

Our website is now LIVE! please visit us at www.ACSByRoman.com

COUPON CODE "toys" FOR FREE INSTALL KIT!

On site install is available in the Philadelphia PA area as is Global shipping!

CLICK HERE JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP
Old 01-10-2024, 05:23 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

My car is a 2014 model with PCM 3.1. My only questions are:

1. Does the voice button activate Siri (my car has the optional voice command function).
2. How do you switch between normal PCM and CarPlay?
3. Is there a wireless CapPlay option or is it only wired?

Thanks
Old 01-10-2024, 05:28 PM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
My car is a 2014 model with PCM 3.1. My only questions are:

1. Does the voice button activate Siri (my car has the optional voice command function).
2. How do you switch between normal PCM and CarPlay?
3. Is there a wireless CapPlay option or is it only wired?

Thanks
1) siri is voice activated. Not by a button. The button still activates your pcm voice control.
2)you can press the source button at any time. You will see am/fm/sat/tv. TV is mr12volt.
3)mr12volt is Wireless for carplay and android auto but you can still use the USB plug if you like.

Order from us (acsbyroman.com) to make sure you get the correct standoffs and tools.
​​​
Old 01-10-2024, 06:02 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Roman ACS
1) siri is voice activated. Not by a button. The button still activates your pcm voice control.
2)you can press the source button at any time. You will see am/fm/sat/tv. TV is mr12volt.
3)mr12volt is Wireless for carplay and android auto but you can still use the USB plug if you like.

Order from us (acsbyroman.com) to make sure you get the correct standoffs and tools.
​​​
Thanks. My car already has satellite radio, so is the correct option “With Satellite Radio”? How do I know which standoffs and tools to order?

Quick Reply: Another PCM3.1 CarPlay Kit Installed