Sponsored by: Road Spy

Activating Android Auto in 991

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2024 | 08:43 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mffarrell
A big shout-out to Phil, aka 718 SoCal for helping me install AIO on my 2017 tts. I was a little reluctant at first, but once you have the correct documentation, instructions and the files it wasn’t too bad of a procedure. My installation took about 40 minutes, as I had real old firmware and maps. Prior to the upgrade I couldn’t update my maps past 2018-19. Now I am happy to say my maps were updated to 2024-25.

Once piece of advice, connect a battery charger before doing any work. I did, but I was getting a battery warning even though I had the charger on 40 A.
Ahhh, so a change of heart, great that you got this done, see it wasn't so bad!

Not sure about the 40A charger, never seen that required for AIO or maps, was something else going on?
Old 09-13-2024 | 08:52 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mityaz
what does 40A even mean? The fastest chargers out there are charging at 10A max. Are you saying a jump box?
I'm about to do this myself and want to make sure I don't brick anything
I have never seen a problem with doing AIO and a 4-5A infeed current. Ignition key on but engine off, turn off the headlights and HVAC as well.

After that part is done, you can take a break, fully charge the battery or even take a drive and do the map update as it can transfer the files while the engine is on.
Old 09-13-2024 | 09:15 PM
mityaz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I have never seen a problem with doing AIO and a 4-5A infeed current. Ignition key on but engine off, turn off the headlights and HVAC as well.

After that part is done, you can take a break, fully charge the battery or even take a drive and do the map update as it can transfer the files while the engine is on.
how long does AIO update and map updates take?

BTW, I checked the nav. It loads a map and shows my position. I must have the gps antenna.

Will try the aio update either later tonight or tomorrow morning
Old 09-13-2024 | 09:23 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

how long does AIO update and map updates take?

BTW, I checked the nav. It loads a map and shows my position. I must have the gps antenna.

Will try the aio update either later tonight or tomorrow morning
The AIO process takes about 20 minutes to complete. The maps take about 30 minutes to load. This is why I suggest breaking up the sessions, charging the battery in between or going for a drive!

Yes, if the maps load and shows where you are NAV is functional and you do have a GPS antenna.
Old 09-13-2024 | 09:31 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

what does 40A even mean? The fastest chargers out there are charging at 10A max. Are you saying a jump box?
I'm about to do this myself and want to make sure I don't brick anything
40 amps, which is a medium charge. I have another battery charger that will deliver 250 A. Normally when your are doing any work to the ECU or other electronics, Porsche recommends at least 90 A battery charger.

When I use my piwis, I usually have my battery charger set to 110 A.

Old 09-13-2024 | 09:37 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

I was surprised with the drain too. My AIO update took about 40 minutes, another 35 minutes for the map update, probably because I have a very outdated firmware and hardware. My hardware level is 050.
Old 09-13-2024 | 09:48 PM
eliekd111
1st Gear

Default Is there anyone who can help with 'MHI2_KR_POG11_P0618_MU0618_PATCH'?

HI!

I found a public patch file for 'MHI2_KR_POG11_P0618_MU0618_PATCH (MU0618-ifs-root-part2-0x00ba0000-00A2EE00.ifs),' but the last numbers are different, so I can't apply the patch. My car's version is '0CA2EE00' instead of '00A2EE00.' Is there any way to fix this? Please help! ( 2017 718 boxster S )
Old 09-13-2024 | 10:13 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

@mffarrell thanks for the details and sharing the Porsche service bulletin. It should be noted that they are referring to programming and coding the various modules in the car with a PIWIS, and yes this can require substantial amounts of current and more importantly stable voltage between 13.5-14.5 V Additionally the currents mentioned are what the charger may be required to supply, not what a particular programming sequence might draw from the charger.

So with respect to AIO, this is not at all like programing the modules referred to above, it is simply updating firmware in the PCM, so no high current charger should be required, what is causing a draw on the battery is everything else that turns on when the key is in the on position. You can minimize this buy switching the headlights to off, turning off the HVAC and any other non-essential systems.

BUT, it is still essential that you have a decent charger connected to the battery during the AIO update and then again when uploading the NAV database. I would recommend one that can supply 4-5 amps minimum.
Old 09-13-2024 | 10:27 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

@mffarrell thanks for the details and sharing the Porsche service bulletin. It should be noted that they are referring to programming and coding the various modules in the car with a PIWIS, and yes this can require substantial amounts of current and more importantly stable voltage between 13.5-14.5 V Additionally the currents mentioned are what the charger may be required to supply, not what a particular programming sequence might draw from the charger.

So with respect to AIO, this is not at all like programing the modules referred to above, it is simply updating firmware in the PCM, so no high current charger should be required, what is causing a draw on the battery is everything else that turns on when the key is in the on position. You can minimize this buy switching the headlights to off, turning off the HVAC and any other non-essential systems.

BUT, it is still essential that you have a decent charger connected to the battery during the AIO update and then again when uploading the NAV database. I would recommend one that can supply 4-5 amps minimum.
Hi WC,

I see you are in Canada. I don’t think we can turn off the daylight running headlights in the states, I may be wrong. Maybe that’s why I had battery drain. I am new to the 991. Is there a way to turn off the running headlights? Thanks!
Old 09-14-2024 | 01:24 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mffarrell
Hi WC,

I see you are in Canada. I don’t think we can turn off the daylight running headlights in the states, I may be wrong. Maybe that’s why I had battery drain. I am new to the 991. Is there a way to turn off the running headlights? Thanks!
Yes, in Canada, and yes, unless it can be coded with a PIWIS I don't know of any other way to turn of the daytime lights, but at least on the 718 they are only 4 smaller LED's in each unit as opposed to the high beam or something similar, not sure about the 991? the goal was to minimize the battery drain and therefor the need for a more powerful charger that many might not have available. Like you I have a heavy-duty power converter to use during maintenance activities, but for PCM updates I have always used the CTEK MXS 5.0

Old 09-14-2024 | 03:14 PM
mityaz
Rennlist Member

CAUTION:
Quick update for the crowd. The AIO update itself happened all the way and without errors. The file was 20230318. The android auto works.
Bad news is that the Bluetooth module does not seem to be working. Within the PCM itself it says Bluetooth error. Cannot connect anything via bluetooth now. Also, when I press the MAP or NAV button it says unavailable. The info tab for the maps is not populated (the area that shows which maps version you have). Mine was 2018-2019 originally. Tried using the newest Maps file to update the maps - cannot start the update (no file found on the SD card).
Tried going to the 2022 AIO file. Installed fine. Same problems with bluetooth and maps. So far a bit disappointed.
Will keep you updated as I go about this.
I am all ears if anyone has suggestions.

This is 2018 GT2RS

EDIT: See few posts down - issue fixed with pulling the fuse for a few minutes

Last edited by mityaz; 09-14-2024 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-14-2024 | 03:32 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

CAUTION:
Quick update for the crowd. The AIO update itself happened all the way and without errors. The file was 20230318. The android auto works.
Bad news is that the Bluetooth module does not seem to be working. Within the PCM itself it says Bluetooth error. Cannot connect anything via bluetooth now. Also, when I press the MAP or NAV button it says unavailable. The info tab for the maps is not populated (the area that shows which maps version you have). Mine was 2018-2019 originally. Tried using the newest Maps file to update the maps - cannot start the update (no file found on the SD card).
Tried going to the 2022 AIO file. Installed fine. Same problems with bluetooth and maps. So far a bit disappointed.
Will keep you updated as I go about this.
I am all ears if anyone has suggestions.

This is 2018 GT2RS
Did you keep a copy of your backup? Do you have any picture of your version in your PCM? Sorry that you're disappointed but we don't get paid to help others. We will try to help you on our own free time. If you appreciate the help then you can PM me.
Old 09-14-2024 | 04:05 PM
mityaz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 718socal
Did you keep a copy of your backup? Do you have any picture of your version in your PCM? Sorry that you're disappointed but we don't get paid to help others. We will try to help you on our own free time. If you appreciate the help then you can PM me.
I sent you a PM
I ended up reusing the same SD card to update maps file. This happened before i realized there was an issue with the BT. So I am guessing the backup is gone now.
The original version in there was US_POG11_P5103 1349. I guess at this point I would like to find out how to put the original version back on (and where to find it for download).

Old 09-14-2024 | 05:20 PM
mityaz
Rennlist Member

UPDATE::
After some head scratching, i ended up pulling the fuse on the PCM (passenger foot well, row B, 3rd from left). Kept it out for a few minutes, then booted again. Went into Gem menu and rebooted the unit form there. The thing WORKS!!!

Still need to update the maps, but bluetooth and the maps themselves are working!!!

The following users liked this post:
Westcoast (09-14-2024)
Old 09-15-2024 | 11:01 AM
mityaz
Rennlist Member

Maps are updated and everything works as it should.

About the maps, you don't even have to import the file into the PCM all at once. As long as you leave the SD card in the slot after it started downloading, it will continue the download even if you turn the car off. I started my last night, had to leave the car at 30% downloading, turned the car off, in the morning when I turned the key on it showed 75% (there must have been power going to the PCM after I turned the key off the night prior). I kept the key on for a few minutes and the process finished with confirmation of success.

Thank you guys

The following users liked this post:
Westcoast (09-15-2024)

Quick Reply: Activating Android Auto in 991