Activating Android Auto in 991

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2024, 12:13 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Originally Posted by mityaz
I think I've read this a bit, but still trying to understand fully.
Can I do all this by just downloading the newest file (the 1.7GB one), unpacking to the root folder of FAT32 SD card, removing the underscore for it to autorun upon insertion, and then running the fix command from the engineering menu? Is that literally it?
Respectfully, you only read a bit and then came back here to 'fully understand'?

All of the information on how to run MIB/AIO is in this thread: OEM Navigation Retrofit DIY - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Using AIO the process is fully automated, doesn't not change you boot logo and enables AA/CP on your PCM. As for the files to use they too are listed in that thread, just saying the 1.7GB one is not specific enough for me to answer.

If you provide a photo of the 'Version' screen, I can suggest the version of AIO to use and the map file as well. You can do that here (if you have a 991) or do it in the 718 thread above.
The following users liked this post:
718socal (09-12-2024)
Old 09-11-2024, 07:21 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 250 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Not that I am aware of.

Why wouldn't you want the firmware version to be updated via AIO? This process brings the PCM to the latest release and enables the ability to update the maps to those currently available.
I don’t need AIO. Besides my friend who bricked his PCM trying to upgrade to AIO, there are folks here that lost CarPlay after upgrading.
Old 09-11-2024, 07:37 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mffarrell
I don’t need AIO. Besides my friend who bricked his PCM trying to upgrade to AIO, there are folks here that lost CarPlay after upgrading.
100% your choice of course, but to be clear, "you do not upgrade to AIO", AIO stands for All-In-One and refers to enabling all features available on the PCM.

As for a bricked unit, I am only aware of one, and I was in direct contact with that individual and it was because the proper procedure was not followed, never heard of anyone loosing CarPlay either.
The following users liked this post:
718socal (09-12-2024)
Old 09-11-2024, 07:59 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 867 Likes on 569 Posts

If your so concerned, get with @simaservis1108 here on these forums. He is a master on our PCMs and has a stellar record here doing AA and Map updates.
Old 09-11-2024, 10:56 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Originally Posted by B Russ
If your so concerned, get with @simaservis1108 here on these forums. He is a master on our PCMs and has a stellar record here doing AA and Map updates.
Thanks, I will.
Old 09-12-2024, 02:38 AM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 315 Posts

Thanks, I will.
You will still get Android Auto with Sima.
Old 09-12-2024, 02:40 AM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by B Russ
I believe that I helped you install MIB AIO on your car. How are you enjoying it?
Old 09-12-2024, 08:31 PM
mityaz
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Respectfully, you only read a bit and then came back here to 'fully understand'?

All of the information on how to run MIB/AIO is in this thread: OEM Navigation Retrofit DIY - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Using AIO the process is fully automated, doesn't not change you boot logo and enables AA/CP on your PCM. As for the files to use they too are listed in that thread, just saying the 1.7GB one is not specific enough for me to answer.

If you provide a photo of the 'Version' screen, I can suggest the version of AIO to use and the map file as well. You can do that here (if you have a 991) or do it in the 718 thread above.
here is the version thats currently in there. Looks like i need to get the current maps too. Thank you

Old 09-12-2024, 08:46 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

here is the version thats currently in there. Looks like i need to get the current maps too. Thank you
Looks, good, have you reviewed the process for installation, and do you have a battery maintainer/charger that will need to be hooked to the car, key on but not running for the duration of the process?

Please watch this video:

Here is a link to the MIB site, let me know if you can access and download: MHI2_US_POG11_K5186_1_AIO_MU1476_20230318 .7z

Porsche - MIB Solution

PS. No disc's in the player either! Review the process and ask questions now before you begin, no short cuts and follow the steps, be patient and wait for the completion of each step.

Let me see about those maps... they are there as well: P376_N60S5MIBH3_NAR_NT_Q3.23_2024-2025_02310036~20240221-235959 .zip

Last edited by Westcoast; 09-12-2024 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-12-2024, 11:42 PM
mityaz
Rennlist Member

Thank you. I looked at the link in your post a few posts up. It seems like there is talk about MIB patching too, which is confusing.

Anyway. I will use the AIO file and the card (i have a 16GB laying around).
Questions: what do i do with the maps file? How do I check if my car has the GPS antenna?
Old Yesterday, 01:30 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thank you. I looked at the link in your post a few posts up. It seems like there is talk about MIB patching too, which is confusing.

Anyway. I will use the AIO file and the card (i have a 16GB laying around).
Questions: what do i do with the maps file? How do I check if my car has the GPS antenna?
When using the AIO file and its process there is no patching required, it is All-In-One!

Format you SD card in FAT32, if you cannot get the file from that link, I will upload the file to a location so you can get it from there.

One step at a time, let's get the firmware updated and enabled, then we can proceed to do the maps. Regarding NAV, your screen shot shows the NAV database information, what happens when you press the NAV button on the PCM, do you go to the map? AIO will enable NAV as well, but regarding the GPS antenna let me know if NAV works now, before running AIO. A GPS antenna can be added if required, some 718's came with the GPS antenna even when NAV was not spec'd but Car Play was.

The NAV database can be updated as a second process after we have you complete the AIO process. The update is about 12GB, so we will need either a second SD card or will need to reuse the one that you will be using for AIO (after that process is done and verified).
Old Yesterday, 08:10 AM
mityaz
Rennlist Member

I will check this tonight (some of us have to work during the day haha). I also have a 64gb full size SD card
BTW, I looked up my window sticker on VIN decoder and it does not show anything regarding NAV. Not sure if it does normally. It does show voice control though. Not sure what that means in relation to the PCM package.

Also, as far as chargers go, I have CTEK. It does up to 5A charging and i can have that connected. Not sure what people are talking about having a 75A charger. That sounds impossible. Maybe they are talking about a 75Ah battery

Last edited by mityaz; Yesterday at 11:02 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I will check this tonight (some of us have to work during the day haha). I also have a 64gb full size SD card
BTW, I looked up my window sticker on VIN decoder and it does not show anything regarding NAV. Not sure if it does normally. It does show voice control though. Not sure what that means in relation to the PCM package.

Also, as far as chargers go, I have CTEK. It does up to 5A charging and i can have that connected. Not sure what people are talking about having a 75A charger. That sounds impossible. Maybe they are talking about a 75Ah battery
Keep the day job, once you retire you won't have time for anything!

So, it is a bugger to format the 64GB SD card in FAT32, it can be done but (IIRC) not natively in Windows. Your 16GB card will work, just need to do the firmware then clean off the card before loading the maps. The CTEK charger will work fine, that's what I use. Talk about the 75A charger is for PIWIS programing not this process.

What happens if you press/select NAV on the PCM?
Old Yesterday, 08:16 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Default Installed AIO today on my tts

A big shout-out to Phil, aka 718 SoCal for helping me install AIO on my 2017 tts. I was a little reluctant at first, but once you have the correct documentation, instructions and the files it wasn’t too bad of a procedure. My installation took about 40 minutes, as I had real old firmware and maps. Prior to the upgrade I couldn’t update my maps past 2018-19. Now I am happy to say my maps were updated to 2024-25.

Once piece of advice, connect a battery charger before doing any work. I did, but I was getting a battery warning even though I had the charger on 40 A.

Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM
mityaz
Rennlist Member

A big shout-out to Phil, aka 718 SoCal for helping me install AIO on my 2017 tts. I was a little reluctant at first, but once you have the correct documentation, instructions and the files it wasn’t too bad of a procedure. My installation took about 40 minutes, as I had real old firmware and maps. Prior to the upgrade I couldn’t update my maps past 2018-19. Now I am happy to say my maps were updated to 2024-25.

Once piece of advice, connect a battery charger before doing any work. I did, but I was getting a battery warning even though I had the charger on 40 A.
what does 40A even mean? The fastest chargers out there are charging at 10A max. Are you saying a jump box?
I'm about to do this myself and want to make sure I don't brick anything

Quick Reply: Activating Android Auto in 991