Sponsored by: Road Spy

Appearance comparo: 991.1 Turbo S v. 992 Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2024, 04:28 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by B Russ
Perhaps I have my head in the sand on this, Has there been a rash of PDK failures Im unaware of? Im on my 4th PDK without issue.
Rash? Absolutely not..
Old 07-02-2024, 07:15 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,806 Likes on 1,504 Posts

has there been a rash of PDK failures Im unaware of?
As a percentage, I think an extremely small number of PDK failures. And the biggest issue is that failures were often caused by a simple and inexpensive sensor within the PDK that failed, but Porsche considers the entire PDK as a single replaceable unit, no disassembly or repairs of the PDK unit by dealers approved by corporate.

So if it failed, and it was out of warranty, and you went to a dealer, they would tell you the only remedy was an entirely new PDK for $$$.

Now there are plenty of shops that can repair PDK issues without needing a complete replacement.

Really no different than any other modern dual clutch transmission and repair guidlines from the manufacturer. Technicians at dealerships are almost exclusively parts changers, not trusted by even their own manufacturer to diagnose and repair complex assemblies.

Example:
https://www.brrperformance.com/porsc...ow-repairable/

You can also significantly upgrade the stock Turbo PDK if you want to start making huge power...
https://www.dodsonmotorsport.com/product/porsche/

Last edited by pfbz; 07-02-2024 at 07:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (07-05-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 12:40 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,324 Posts

I'm just happy and blessed to own the one's (past and present) I have / do.

I do like the 992 minus the shifter. I actually use by shifter to Shift vs. the paddles most times. It feels more engaging and fun to me.

If the 992 had the same shifter, I'd like it more. Not that I'd EVER spend the extra that 992's cost over the 991's.

Like Paul and other's have said, the 991's are a huge bargain when looking at performance vs. price.

Looks wise, I still think the 993 Turbo's are the BEST!
RadarP3C (07-06-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 03:04 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,028 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Plus, there's enough analogue left to ignore the electronics.
RadarP3C (07-06-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 03:05 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
As a percentage, I think an extremely small number of PDK failures. And the biggest issue is that failures were often caused by a simple and inexpensive sensor within the PDK that failed, but Porsche considers the entire PDK as a single replaceable unit, no disassembly or repairs of the PDK unit by dealers approved by corporate.

So if it failed, and it was out of warranty, and you went to a dealer, they would tell you the only remedy was an entirely new PDK for $$$.

Now there are plenty of shops that can repair PDK issues without needing a complete replacement.

Really no different than any other modern dual clutch transmission and repair guidlines from the manufacturer. Technicians at dealerships are almost exclusively parts changers, not trusted by even their own manufacturer to diagnose and repair complex assemblies.

Example:
https://www.brrperformance.com/porsc...ow-repairable/

You can also significantly upgrade the stock Turbo PDK if you want to start making huge power...
https://www.dodsonmotorsport.com/product/porsche/
Bought the extended warranty, and kept it stock, just in case... considering what it cost to replace the gearbox in the 996, I really don't want a repeat for some time.
Old 07-15-2024, 04:30 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I certainly wasn’t trying to be unfair to anyone or to be critical of anyone. My comments were more of an observation of the common trends among the Porsche community as a whole, not this specific thread.

I agree on regulation impacting design and the fact that it’s not always good. Take the 996 for example - US regulations forced the installation of the “bumperettes” to the car to meet US standards. They were not attractive. Many people removed them for the sleek Euro look.

I too have been buying interesting cars for many years and I completely appreciate your point of view. My first proper sports car weighed a little under 2,500 lbs. It had only lap safety belts. It was rear wheel drive with no ABS, no stability control, and a manual transmission. Those days are long gone…
No worries, no harm, no foul!

There's a group up here complaining, non stop, that light truck design greatly increases fatality chances when struck, due to the almost 6' hood line. What these folks fail to recognize is, that, these things are growing as a result of the never ending crash safety standards being pushed on the auto manufacturers from various federal agencies.

The same group does not make mention of anything wrong with a 5000lb + electric car that can accelerate pretty much faster than anything on the road, and can hit a concrete divider with enough force to dislodge it.

And just in the past few days, the Cayman GT4 has been axed - a 3k lb car that I was seriously considering getting, well, not any more...

Interestingly, there's only a little more than 100lbs difference between the 996/991, but more than 200 between the 991 and 992 - shows in the size of the 992. I have not yet had a chance to drive a 992, but admittedly, I do not think there is any point - I'm not going to buy one, the 991 is still small enough to be used as a city car, and large enough to be a great GT car.

I share your sentiment about what was, and is no longer any more - my first sports car was a 81 VW Scirocco and it weighed 1830lbs; not being able to leave anything alone, I stripped it right down, put a fancy head/cam in it, along with a turbo, and the thing was like a Rocketship/go kart - unbelievably nimble, this made it through school with me, and then was replaced by a Type R in 97 which weighed in at 2574lbs, until I started toying with it, and that, was that - the last honestly lightweight car I have (still) own.

Governance makes these vehicles heavier, ignorance doesn't teach the young how to manage the increased mass, and all of us who remember how good it used to be, suffer as we watch it all go away.

Cheers,
The following 2 users liked this post by 2fcknfst:
Big Swole (07-15-2024), Dennis C (07-15-2024)
Old 07-15-2024, 04:35 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 790 Likes on 533 Posts

Lol did you say 81 Scirocco

Big Swole (07-15-2024)
Old 07-15-2024, 04:39 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member