Old 10-31-2020, 02:30 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by MassTurbo
Hi- I am looking for opinions on two used 991 TTS I am considering
Why one over the other?
Thank you.

I would lean towards the 2014. The exhaust and Xpel if important to you could be a $10,000 add on. What kind of exhaust?

If the Xpel has been on the car since new you would have a car with pristine paint. A black car without Xpel and 40k miles is going to have a sandblasted front and rear quarter panels.

How much time left on the CPO?
The following users liked this post:
MotoJB (11-04-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 02:40 PM
MassTurbo
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim991
I would lean towards the 2014. The exhaust and Xpel if important to you could be a $10,000 add on. What kind of exhaust?

If the Xpel has been on the car since new you would have a car with pristine paint. A black car without Xpel and 40k miles is going to have a sandblasted front and rear quarter panels.

How much time left on the CPO?
Until March 2021
Old 10-31-2020, 02:41 PM
MassTurbo
Cruisin'

Sharkwerks exhaust
Old 10-31-2020, 02:52 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,087 Posts

I guess because nothing other than model year, mileage and roof type matters?

Not seat type? Not cosmetic condition? Not mechanical condition? Not maintenance history? Not carfax? Not options?

Is the point to strip it and make a DE car? Then you want one without a sunroof. So, neither of those.

Is the point to ride it hard and put it up wet? Adding a fourth owner to the first won’t matter.

It’s like asking which computer to buy: the one that’s a tower case? Or the one that’s a desktop? As if the case dimensions are the most important factors.

For a PHB? Yes. For someone who’ll have to use it to do work? No.

Last edited by worf928; 10-31-2020 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-31-2020, 04:00 PM
MassTurbo
Cruisin'

Hello-

Point taken.
I am new to Porsche. This will be my first.
Former 5 time 750i and li driver.
Currently in a Maserati Quattroporte SQ4 Gand Sport.
Kids are old enough to drive now, so no need for shuttling

I will drive ~4K to 5K per year
I will not track it

I am looking for a great fun first Turbo experience before I jump into a brand new.
I am seeking input from experts in the forum for advice and share their experience with what might be a good entry point.

More details on the two options:

Build 2014 vs 2016

From CarFax
  • Serviced yearly at Newport Auto Center
  • Porsche CPO on 3/2019 at 31K miles
  • Last service in Irvine CA at 37K miles in 3/2020
  • Serviced yearly at Porsche in Beverley Hills, CA (every 10K miles)

So the question comes down to is a 2016 991.1 Turbo S better than 2014 of similar specifications and miles?
Is ~40K mile too high and I am looking at potential problems?

I appreciate your help and advice in advance.

Old 10-31-2020, 04:09 PM
MassTurbo
Cruisin'

Default Image

The 2014

and 2016

Old 10-31-2020, 04:19 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Some will tell you that 40K miles is too high for a Porsche as there many garage queens out there. I bought my car with 36k two years ago. Zero problems since. I now have 41k. When I bought the car the front end was shot blasted. I bought it with the expectation of a respray. Then I paint corrected and installed 3/4 Xpel. I also had the wheels refinished and some leather/vinyl issues inside corrected. The car now looks perfect. Your comparison doesn't mention the condition of the cars. Tire depth and brand? Since both cars seem to have been properly maintained I would focus on the cost you would need to invest to bring the car up to the level you want, if you are particular. Also, you can extend the CPO warranty with an aftermarket warranty but may not be able to that with the 2016 if that matters to you.
MassTurbo (10-31-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 04:46 PM
MassTurbo
Cruisin'

2014:
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 have 8/32” of tread depth left on tires.

Pirelli 7/32"

Both cars are in excellent condition and do not require reconditioning

You mention extending the warranty is not an option on the 2016 (is that because it is not CPO?)
Old 10-31-2020, 04:56 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

2014:
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 have 8/32” of tread depth left on tires.

Pirelli 7/32"

Both cars are in excellent condition and do not require reconditioning

You mention extending the warranty is not an option on the 2016 (is that because it is not CPO?)
Michelin are better tires for this car. Check with Fidelity on the warranty. They may not offer one because of the mileage and lack of existing warranty.
Old 10-31-2020, 06:26 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 770 Likes on 561 Posts

Since both are 991.1s, I would go with the 2014 based on options, PPF, exhaust, CPO'd......the 14 might give you more room to negotiate price down a few K's......the Michelins are much better on this car for a smoother ride..........the CPO alone is worth it versus no CPO.....

If you are buying from dealers get them to throw in new mats, new license plate frames, tire gauge and anything you can get free that is an accessory......
The following 2 users liked this post by abiazis:
MassTurbo (11-01-2020), MotoJB (11-04-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 09:46 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,087 Posts

I am new to Porsche. This will be my first.
Unlike every other 'mass' manufacturer, where your choice is exterior color and option package a, b and/or c, with Porsche everything is an option. Folks that don't realize this often end up with a Porsche without <insert option> and are then inconsolably indignant that <insert option> isn't STANDARD on ANY car costing <insert MSRP> when <insert option> is standard on a <insert new car costing 1/20th as much>.

I don't know the origin of of your tables, but I suspect that each table has missed one or more options. For example: ZAB is not actually an option. It's on all Porsches. Go to vinanalytics and paste the VINs of each.

As time goes by and the PAG Configurator tool is updated it becomes difficult to parse what was standard and what was optional on non-current models.

To wit: the '16 has Premium Package Plus which includes what? As I *recall* Premium Package included electrochromatic rear and side view mirrors, heated seats, and seat/mirror memory. The PLUS added entry/drive (proximity lock/unlock/start), PDLS, and ventilated seats.

So... the '14 has a manual rearview mirror for day/night adjustment and sideview mirrors that are low-tech. (Unless everything in the PP (not-plus) package was standard on the S unlike the non-S Turbo which might have been the case.)

I am looking for a great fun first Turbo experience before I jump into a brand new.
This is, then, a learning experience. Good.

More details on the two options:
I find it odd the almost identical 991.1 Turbo Ss have the same ask when one is a '14 and one is a '16. Perhaps market depreciation is such that, at this point, the CPO is the only difference. Possible, but, I still think odd.

CPO on a Turbo is (WAG) $4500. So, that might be enough to explain the difference.

Assume that CPO means the offering dealer simply paid for the warranty but did *nothing*. There was no inspection and scheduled maintenance required for CPO wasn't done. There are too many stories on these boards of CPO cars requiring brakes, or scheduled maintenance, or tires to bank on that assumption being false. Our own CPO Macan suffered from less-than-enthusiastic performance of the CPO process.

We've also seen reports of CPO cars with undisclosed body damage repair.

Both of these are at the age where the engine air filters and spark plugs should have been changed. That's not a cheap service. If it's been done on the '14 and not on the '16 that might account for the '16 being non-CPO. For the '14 the PDCC bottle should have been changed (6 year 60k interval IIRC.)

Three owners for the '14 suggests that it's been passed around (insert inappropriate NSFW simile.)

Exhaust modification requires investigation. There are enough reports of after-market exhausts generating emissions codes that I'd want to know more about the specific exhaust. However, luckily both of these are in CA, so one might assume, with some level of confidence, that the '14 with the non-OE exhaust passes CA inspection. In MA it's an OBD-II check for emissions codes. So, no codes and you're good.

I think I'd want a PPI on the '14 if not both. Ideally, the '14 would come with the OE exhaust in a box in case there are issues with the Sharkwerks. You could also search for stories from folks that have the Sharkwerks on this and the 991 forum.

Last but not least, I'd want some evidence of fitness for the carbon-ceramic brake discs. CPO should include inspection of the rotors with the special tool required. In the absence of CPO I'd want the check carried out by a third party. The rotors are probably fine. However, if either has been DE'd more than a few times the remaining life of the rotors may be a concern. If wheel removal/installation wasn't done carefully then there might be a chunk missing from a rotor.

Look into prices for replacement PCCB discs. They are not your Grandpa's brake rotors.

If both have no "issues" I'd choose the CPO '14. On the other hand if the '16 is being offered by a Porsche dealer, I'd negotiate for CPO. Note also that CPO only transfers with a private party sale. If the '14 is offered by a dealer then the CPO will not, by the book, transfer to you.

Old 10-31-2020, 11:54 PM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 137 Posts

Based on the ppf, upgraded exhaust, entry & drive, and lower mileage, I’d say go with the 2014. The PPF alone is worth the difference if it’s in good condition. Also, I have a sharkwerks exhaust as the stock exhaust was too muted. Good luck!
Old 11-01-2020, 01:10 AM
GTR_ Ed
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

would go 2014. To get exhaust and xpel you will spend another few thousand. Major plus with the CPO as well.
Old 11-01-2020, 01:53 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 582 Posts

I'd go for the '14 as well with the added benefit of the CPO. They are both .1's so no real difference other than year. I got a CPO'ed '14 1 1/2 years ago with 17K miles and have nearly 25K on it now. It is my DD with no real issues other than saggy engine lid struts...
MassTurbo (11-01-2020)

Quick Reply: Opinions for Used 991 TTS