Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Opinions for Used 991 TTS

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2020, 07:26 AM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Generally the later the Model Year, the higher resale Value. I would go for the car with the longest
Warranty remaining, since parts, especially those Ceramic Rotors, can be very expensive if worn or
chipped, but either car will delight you - so you can't go wrong. I also owned a 750IL - Great Family Car
but Nav/Radio Servicing, updating and parts were impossible to find and horrendously expensive.
You will definitely fall in love with any 991 Turbo you choose, as I did! Some good advice in earlier posts.
The following users liked this post:
MassTurbo (11-01-2020)
Old 11-01-2020, 12:41 PM
MassTurbo
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
I don't know the origin of of your tables, but I suspect that each table has missed one or more options. For example: ZAB is not actually an option. It's on all Porsches. Go to vinanalytics and paste the VINs of each.
I used the vinanalytics site. The data is exactly what the site spit out with each vin.

Exhaust modification requires investigation. There are enough reports of after-market exhausts generating emissions codes that I'd want to know more about the specific exhaust. However, luckily both of these are in CA, so one might assume, with some level of confidence, that the '14 with the non-OE exhaust passes CA inspection. In MA it's an OBD-II check for emissions codes. So, no codes and you're good.
Excellent point. Clearly whoever bought the car originally loved it or else they would not have invested another $7,500 in XPEL. That extra action alone shows a level of love for a vehicle.

I think I'd want a PPI on the '14 if not both. Ideally, the '14 would come with the OE exhaust in a box in case there are issues with the Sharkwerks. You could also search for stories from folks that have the Sharkwerks on this and the 991 forum.

Last but not least, I'd want some evidence of fitness for the carbon-ceramic brake discs. CPO should include inspection of the rotors with the special tool required. In the absence of CPO I'd want the check carried out by a third party. The rotors are probably fine. However, if either has been DE'd more than a few times the remaining life of the rotors may be a concern. If wheel removal/installation wasn't done carefully then there might be a chunk missing from a rotor.
Good point. Do you suggest a visit to a local Porsche dealer for the PPI? Do you have an idea of the charge for such a service? The '14 is a private party deal. I assume a PPI can also inspect the brakes?

If both have no "issues" I'd choose the CPO '14. On the other hand if the '16 is being offered by a Porsche dealer, I'd negotiate for CPO. Note also that CPO only transfers with a private party sale. If the '14 is offered by a dealer then the CPO will not, by the book, transfer to you.
I think I am biased towards 2014 now with all the input. I will look to do that PPI right away as visually it looks perfect, but that is only the outside and I have no idea how it Is on the inside unless I have a proper review. Great advice. Thank you. I will keep you posted.
Old 11-01-2020, 11:08 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 431 Likes on 281 Posts

I say depending on the condition but if all is about equal go for the 2016.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:35 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 783 Likes on 491 Posts

My 2017 Porsche tts was the first used car I have purchased, it was THE BEST DEAL OF MY LIFETIME, and I bought it without seeing it 1500 miles away. Sent the car to Esoteric for paint correction and 100% clear wrap, they told me they have seen new cars not as clean as this car was. I would buy the newer car, or look for a 2017, they made the fuel system better, bigger turbo's too, and if you plan to mod the car the 2017 has other advantages
Old 11-02-2020, 03:15 PM
arkadyzv
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 93 Posts

2014. Offer a 100k. The no entry and drive on the 2016 is weird. Is the 2014 also jet black or basalt black? If its basalt black, look at the color live, in bright light all cleaned up it doesn't look black. Would swap out either set of tires for Michelin PS4s. At around 40k both should get plugs/coils, ect if not done
Old 11-02-2020, 03:20 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Originally Posted by MassTurbo
I used the vinanalytics site. The data is exactly what the site spit out with each vin.
Proves that teh interwebs aren't always right. Lol.

Excellent point. Clearly whoever bought the car originally loved it or else they would not have invested another $7,500 in XPEL. That extra action alone shows a level of love for a vehicle.
Beverly Hills prices for a full-body wrap. I guess.

Good point. Do you suggest a visit to a local Porsche dealer for the PPI? Do you have an idea of the charge for such a service? The '14 is a private party deal. I assume a PPI can also inspect the brakes?
WM 465102 (or whatever section number has superseded since I downloaded) of the WSM describes the procedure. There are several specific visual checks for which the WM section gives visual references. There is also a coating thickness measurement (at three places per rotor) that requires "Tester VAS 6813" (which I suspect is tool similar in concept to a paint meter.)

Any shop with access to the WM section can perform the visual checks. I would expect a dealer to have the measurement tool. I would not expect an indy to have the tool - but, they might if they specialize in high-end Porsches.

It ain't cheap: https://porsche.snapon.com/special-t...temid=45090042

I guess, if I was you, .... I'd call around and see which Indy/Dealer gave me the warm fuzzies about being able to assess the health of the PCCB rotors.

At >$4000 (yes, *each* and there are four) for a replacement PCCB disc, I would want more than a casual assurance that they're good on a 3-owner car. On the one-owner car... maybe. They are supposed to last the lifetime of the car, but it is known that track use is a good way to wear them out.

At a minimum, for me, I'd want a clear picture of each disc with the wheel remove that I could use to look for chips and for the type of coating damage shown in the WM section.

Old 11-02-2020, 03:24 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by arkadyzv
The no entry and drive on the 2016 is weird.
It's not weird at all. Because the 2016 has PE&D.

It is part of the Premium Plus Package.
Old 11-03-2020, 01:52 AM
MassTurbo
Cruisin'

Default Update

Hello-

So here is the status:

Car "A" 2014
  • Has not had 40K service done
  • Has overspray on passenger rear quoter of the car on PPF (see photos)
    • Not a deal-breaker, but if I got that on my car, I would fix right away as it would aggravate me. Esp if I was going to sell it.

Car "B" 2016
  • Did not have 40K mile service
  • Does not have PPF
  • Not sold by Porsche dealer

So both now seem less than a "9" or at "10". Maybe 6.5's

Old 11-03-2020, 02:16 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

[*]Has overspray on passenger rear quoter of the car on PPF (see photos)
It is difficult to fathom the confusion of thought and deed that would lead to such an outcome.

I would think such a ‘quality’ repair would be a harbinger of similar quality for other repairs.

A line from a Monty Python movie comes to mind. Guess which line?

So... the ‘16 looks more promising.

But, there are more fish in the sea.
Old 11-03-2020, 07:53 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 783 Likes on 491 Posts

I have all my cars paint corrected and 100% clear wrapped before the car ie ever driven on the roads, once in a while after spending the money to do that the car is not really what I wanted and I sell it, it not love for the car, it's just what some people do for the best looks and protection possible because it's hard these days to keeps things nice with all the road construction and crap on the roads
Old 11-04-2020, 03:08 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Received 596 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by NightBlueTTS
Based on the ppf, upgraded exhaust, entry & drive, and lower mileage, I’d say go with the 2014. The PPF alone is worth the difference if it’s in good condition. Also, I have a sharkwerks exhaust as the stock exhaust was too muted. Good luck!
^^This^^
Old 11-05-2020, 09:05 PM
bmwexpat
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Long time Porsche owner and we just bought our 2014 991.1 TTS in August. My 2 concerns were high mileage, 66,000 miles and a full matte silver metallic vinyl wrap. Fortunately I've known my Porsche salesman for years and he was able to step me through my concerns:

· This was a 1 owner car and had been sold new by my salesman.

· The previous owner had the car wrapped at Premier Protective Films prior to taking possession of the TTS in 2014. I later confirmed with Premier that this was a $10K wrap in 2014

· The TTS was his daily commuter car and went from his garage to his corporate garage at Apple. This explained the mileage as all freeway and that the vinyl wrap and interior were still in perfect shape as the TTS never spent much time sitting in the sun.

· The salesman was able to pull up and show me the full service history on the TTS from new to 8/2020. The previous owner was a sticker for service.

· The ceramic brakes – was able to visually verify there were no chipping issues and the rotors did not appear to have been overheated and show any signs of smear of discoloration from excessive heat from a couple of track events the previous owner attended.

· Originally the TTS came in on consignment but the dealer did take it into inventory so I was able to get a 2 year CPO warranty for $4200.

· Prior to tax, I was able to purchase for $89K including the CPO warranty.

· Since purchasing, I’ve added built-in radar detection with laser shifters and Apple Car Play.

· My wife and I love this car and my biggest problem is scrapping with her as to who gets to drive

Overall I can relate to your concerns, and based on the information you have provided I’d go with the 2014. You have asked some very good questions and I’d just add a few to your list:

· Why is the current owner selling the car?

· Who put the PPF on the car current owner or original owner? If current owner where did he have the work done?

· Regarding the PPF, take a real close look at the work performed. Was the car disassembled and paint corrected prior to the PPF? Look at the lights, intakes, and critical areas where the PPF ends. Did they tuck and wrap the PPF or did they just cut around the lights and other areas? This is what separates a ****ty $3500 wrap from a professional $8-10K job. If they cut around stuff the paint is likely scratched underneath.

· The pictures of your overspray are concerning is that under the PPF or something is on the PPF?

· Since this is a private seller, I would ask the car be taken to the local Porsche dealer that has been performing service and you pay for an inspection to verify the condition of key items such as the ceramic brakes and any obvious mechanical issues.

· Overall the CPO for the next 5 months will cover you against any major bills.

· I’d try and bargain down into the upper 90’s if possible.
Old 11-06-2020, 01:28 PM
MassTurbo
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by bmwexpat
Long time Porsche owner and we just bought our 2014 991.1 TTS in August. My 2 concerns were high mileage, 66,000 miles and a full matte silver metallic vinyl wrap. Fortunately I've known my Porsche salesman for years and he was able to step me through my concerns:

· This was a 1 owner car and had been sold new by my salesman.

· The previous owner had the car wrapped at Premier Protective Films prior to taking possession of the TTS in 2014. I later confirmed with Premier that this was a $10K wrap in 2014

· The TTS was his daily commuter car and went from his garage to his corporate garage at Apple. This explained the mileage as all freeway and that the vinyl wrap and interior were still in perfect shape as the TTS never spent much time sitting in the sun.

· The salesman was able to pull up and show me the full service history on the TTS from new to 8/2020. The previous owner was a sticker for service.

· The ceramic brakes – was able to visually verify there were no chipping issues and the rotors did not appear to have been overheated and show any signs of smear of discoloration from excessive heat from a couple of track events the previous owner attended.

· Originally the TTS came in on consignment but the dealer did take it into inventory so I was able to get a 2 year CPO warranty for $4200.

· Prior to tax, I was able to purchase for $89K including the CPO warranty.

· Since purchasing, I’ve added built-in radar detection with laser shifters and Apple Car Play.

· My wife and I love this car and my biggest problem is scrapping with her as to who gets to drive

Overall I can relate to your concerns, and based on the information you have provided I’d go with the 2014. You have asked some very good questions and I’d just add a few to your list:

· Why is the current owner selling the car?

· Who put the PPF on the car current owner or original owner? If current owner where did he have the work done?

· Regarding the PPF, take a real close look at the work performed. Was the car disassembled and paint corrected prior to the PPF? Look at the lights, intakes, and critical areas where the PPF ends. Did they tuck and wrap the PPF or did they just cut around the lights and other areas? This is what separates a ****ty $3500 wrap from a professional $8-10K job. If they cut around stuff the paint is likely scratched underneath.

· The pictures of your overspray are concerning is that under the PPF or something is on the PPF?

· Since this is a private seller, I would ask the car be taken to the local Porsche dealer that has been performing service and you pay for an inspection to verify the condition of key items such as the ceramic brakes and any obvious mechanical issues.

· Overall the CPO for the next 5 months will cover you against any major bills.

· I’d try and bargain down into the upper 90’s if possible.
What a great story and advice. I am in no rush to buy. I like that you were able to work with the dealer to get the CPO added in.

I believe we will see a slug of cars coming into the market in the next few months with lower miles (due to COVID) and a lack of commuting in 2020.
I myself have driven less than 2K miles this year as I have been working from home since March. I have a 2017 and I have just over 16K miles on my car.

I do not want to rush in and have a car shipped to me (lots of additional costs) without it being 100% ideal. The CPO route sounds like my best option for peace of mind as opposed to a private sale (unless it is local and I can do a thorough PPI).
Old 11-08-2020, 12:36 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 166 Posts

Oh Jeez. Post a question on a Porsche enthusiast site and you get the mother of all overthinking. Buy the car you like. Who cares about this or that or whatever? Buy what you like. FYI, I bought a 2014 TTS coming off lease, bought the extended warranty, and never looked back. I have had zero problems with it, though the price of changing the sparkplugs was a bit of a shock (the engine has to come out!). It is a wonderful car, and I love it. The biggest surprise is how little I drive it, favoring my 1969 911T. Go figure.

Again, buy what you like and drive the wheels off it.
Old 11-09-2020, 05:45 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 136 Posts

What a great story and advice. I am in no rush to buy. I like that you were able to work with the dealer to get the CPO added in.

I believe we will see a slug of cars coming into the market in the next few months with lower miles (due to COVID) and a lack of commuting in 2020.
I myself have driven less than 2K miles this year as I have been working from home since March. I have a 2017 and I have just over 16K miles on my car.

I do not want to rush in and have a car shipped to me (lots of additional costs) without it being 100% ideal. The CPO route sounds like my best option for peace of mind as opposed to a private sale (unless it is local and I can do a thorough PPI).
There may be a slug of used cars coming on the market but they will sell fast. The used market his on fire with limited inventory. You won't have the luxury of comparing cars as they will be gone if you don't move fast.

Quick Reply: Opinions for Used 991 TTS