Sponsored by: Road Spy

Bang for Buck questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 09:32 PM
BMS
Former Vendor

Received 259 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by pepinozaur
My 2cents : I would do only a tune (stage1) or cheap cat delete pipes and a more aggressive tune, the biggest limitation is in the CATs not into the muffler. After that I would do Intercoolers and maybe Water injection. That should be all.. no ypipe, no headers, no muffler upgrade

Regarding JB4... I have used JB+, JB3 and JB4 and for 1499$ I would say is still way too expensive... for that kind of money I would do Cobb instead as a flash is better than a piggyback

I used jb4 on n54(gold), n55(gold), on n20? 428i 245hp (trash both the jb4 unit and that engine imo) and might buy one for my f90 m5c as seems to be working well (still 899$ or so, not 1499$..). If you really care about warranty, jb4 might do it, still not 100% sure covered as there are tuner codes these days that might or might not be deleted even by jb4
Terry here... Payam and I both share the account.

The 911 JB4 retail price is really yet to be determined. The main factor driving the cost on this one isn't the hardware (it's basically the same as the F90) but the amount programming time required relative to the expected number of unit sales. Still I think the retail price for the JB4 will wind up being in line with the F90 platform, $899 + $175 for the bluetooth adapter and mobile app.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:18 PM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Received 1,091 Likes on 842 Posts

Originally Posted by BMS
Terry here... Payam and I both share the account.

The 911 JB4 retail price is really yet to be determined. The main factor driving the cost on this one isn't the hardware (it's basically the same as the F90) but the amount programming time required relative to the expected number of unit sales. Still I think the retail price for the JB4 will wind up being in line with the F90 platform, $899 + $175 for the bluetooth adapter and mobile app.
Great to have you on board as a Sponsor. I've used the JB4 and the JB1. Excellent products. Glad to see it added to the Porsche platform. If it hits the F90 price point, it's a no brainer.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:43 PM
jsbihn
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
Great to have you on board as a Sponsor. I've used the JB4 and the JB1. Excellent products. Glad to see it added to the Porsche platform. If it hits the F90 price point, it's a no brainer.
Honestly, even if it is the originally quoted 1400 for the jb4 + 150 for the wireless option, thats a good deal. i mean COBB is what? almost twice that?
Dont get me wrong.... I love to save money.... which is what sparked off this thread... and I am excited to see how this JB4 will be
(as for the other JB options mentioned.... i dont know what they are)
Old 05-26-2019, 08:14 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

I have the Cobb tune with PDK Upgrade added. Did not pay $3k or near that. Yes it is more than $1495 but the ease of install and uninstall is worth it. The tune itself is awesome but the PDK Upgrade was a really welcome addition to daily driving and aggressive days on the backroads.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:34 PM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Received 1,091 Likes on 842 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
I have the Cobb tune with PDK Upgrade added. Did not pay $3k or near that. Yes it is more than $1495 but the ease of install and uninstall is worth it. The tune itself is awesome but the PDK Upgrade was a really welcome addition to daily driving and aggressive days on the backroads.
991.1 makes that a REALLY good option. Plug and play. 991.2 you have to remove the DME and crack open the case. Still an option, but a bit more involved.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:31 PM
jsbihn
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Well Maybe I read it wrong....
I thought the going run on the controller was 2200-2500
and then if it you get the PDK flash its an additional 500-700

so roughly 3000.....

anyways, I have spoken to a number of tuners only to be told that the PDK isnt really that necessary in the lower stages....
but then again, I am not the expert.

but again, the idea behind this discussion was to find how to modify the 991 turbo with a good setup for the little money.
(i was told by Payam, and others confirmed it... about how to do some of this. and it was pretty cool since you knew they believed in it considering they are recommending another company that sells these things and they made no profit)

Quick Reply: Bang for Buck questions