Sponsored by: Road Spy

Bang for Buck questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 12:47 PM
jsbihn
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Bang for Buck questions

I am new to Porsches... so I am curious....
Ok, Dont kill me (flame suit on, and fire extinguisher on stand by) but I am curious what items are available out there and are the best bang for the buck.
I dont really mean "what should I do first or what would show me the best horsepower gain"
There is plenty on here about that between all those who have modified and shops like Evolution, and By Design.

My question is more of the "who has bought something that wasnt the normal items, that cost far less and gave great performance gains and have they had any issues"
I.e. I have seen Agency Power exhaust items that seem to be too expensive Or AWE
Dont get me wrong, I am not looking to put cheap crap on a 200k car, but I have always believe that if there is something out there that does the same job, same quality, same everything, but is 1/2 the price, or far less expensive.... then why pay the higher price.
(an person is selling pots on the side of the road. one pot has a tag for $10 dollars, one pot has a tag for $5 dollars. The are both the same exact pot. when asked, why the difference price... the person responded, because some people will pay 10 dollars and some will pay 5 dollars)

I have made my own exhausts in the past and know that there is no way it costs 5k for what is being sold, so it is obvious we are paying a hefty Porsche mark up... which I understand... just dont see paying 10 dollars when I can pay 5.
If you get my reference.

I appreciate your information
Old 05-15-2019, 12:51 PM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by jsbihn
Ok, Dont kill me (flame suit on, and fire extinguisher on stand by) but I am curious what items are available out there and are the best bang for the buck.
I dont really mean "what should I do first or what would show me the best horsepower gain"
There is plenty on here about that between all those who have modified and shops like Evolution, and By Design.

My question is more of the "who has bought something that wasnt the normal items, that cost far less and gave great performance gains and have they had any issues"
I.e. I have seen Agency Power exhaust items that seem to be too expensive Or AWE
Dont get me wrong, I am not looking to put cheap crap on a 200k car, but I have always believe that if there is something out there that does the same job, same quality, same everything, but is 1/2 the price, or far less expensive.... then why pay the higher price.
(an person is selling pots on the side of the road. one pot has a tag for $10 dollars, one pot has a tag for $5 dollars. The are both the same exact pot. when asked, why the difference price... the person responded, because some people will pay 10 dollars and some will pay 5 dollars)

I have made my own exhausts in the past and know that there is no way it costs 5k for what is being sold, so it is obvious we are paying a hefty Porsche mark up... which I understand... just dont see paying 10 dollars when I can pay 5.
If you get my reference.

I'm sure there are parts/products that cost half the price for the same utility, but in general I have found you get what you pay for. Most of the bad products, if you do a little research, have bad reviews.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:01 PM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Received 1,091 Likes on 842 Posts

JB4 will be a game changer. Coming soon.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:07 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 729 Posts

Oh boy you should get some interesting answers. I have owned 13 Pcars and am currently on my 5th TT car my 14' TTS. I am a big believer in you really do get what you pay for and rarely get more than you pay for. My son had an AWE exhaust on his Audi S3. He thought it sounded cool for a while and even he tired of it. I've had 2 after market exhausts on my Pcars that I have repurchased as I moved to different models, Kline Iconel and Europipe. Price, not cheap, quality awesome, sound , like it should sound, problems, never.
I am on my 2nd Cobb AP Tune (2 different cars) in my opinion the way to go if you want to tune your TT car.

I am sure there are places where buying less expensive parts would work, (painted key covers, gas cap, etc...) but when it comes to performance parts that is not where I would cut it short. You paid a basket full of money for a fairly special car I don't see now saving a few bucks making sense. You are most likely right that it may not cost what they are charging for a premium exhaust but you are also paying for the peace of mind should you have any problems down the road. JUST MY OPINION ONLY as I'm sure we will get some that say you can take another route.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:14 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Cup2 tires and Sharkwerks exhaust are the best bang-for-buck improvements. From there, everything else is diminishing return for the dollar.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:00 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,841 Likes on 2,925 Posts

I use Cobb on my 996tt and my Sti - I really like the versatility and at $800CDN, very good power per dollar return.

However, at $2500USD, the Cobb for the 991.2TTs has less of a return, so I am going to wait a while.

I agree with Randy - Cup2s are probably not a bad investment, nor is advanced training or more track time.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:01 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
JB4 will be a game changer. Coming soon.
What is this...?
Old 05-15-2019, 04:31 PM
michaeldantep
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you get my reference.

For a 991 Turbo, in terms of performance mods, the only thing worth doing for performance is the ECU tune. Exhausts add very little HP and are very expensive and simply done to change the sound and lose a tiny amount of weight (like tiny dog weight). There are some people who feel strongly about IPD Plenums (and Y pipe), but bang for the buck it's hard to argue an ECU tune e.g., FVD (a conservative tune) costs $1,500 for the product and you will get 70 hp and 100 torque on a Turbo S.

Last edited by michaeldantep; 05-15-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:31 PM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
What is this...?
Boost Control. Connects to CanBuss, and both Map sensors.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...28-2019-a.html
Old 05-15-2019, 04:58 PM
jsbihn
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

What is this...?
JB4 is big with the BMW guys (and others), and though I am no expert since they tend to work more with the turbo'ed BMWs and I have an E46 M3 (no turbo)... the JB4 is a plug and play reprogrammer. similar to the cobb unit.
i have seen alot of 335 twin turbos but down 600+ with a few mods with these
and hopefully it will be untraceable to the porsche techs unlike i heard the cobb setup shows up even when it has been flashed back to stock.
I just hope they dont get stupid and go hey we can sell these for alot of money JUST because porsche owners tend to have more money than BMW owners.
Not a fan of being taxed or paying more just because
Old 05-15-2019, 04:59 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Looks neat!
Old 05-15-2019, 05:02 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

JB4 is big with the BMW guys (and others), and though I am no expert since they tend to work more with the turbo'ed BMWs and I have an E46 M3 (no turbo)... the JB4 is a plug and play reprogrammer. similar to the cobb unit.
and hopefully it will be untraceable to the porsche techs unlike i heard the cobb setup shows up even when it has been flashed back to stock.
I just hope they dont get stupid and go hey we can sell these for alot of money JUST because porsche owners tend to have more money than BMW owners.
The Cobb leaves tracks? I did not know that, and that is good to know.

I run the Dinan Stage 2 in my M5CP, and quite frankly with 2wd, it is pretty bloody silly when the road gets wet.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:31 PM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Looks neat!

@Payam_BMS soon for more details.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:40 PM
BMS
Former Vendor

Received 259 Likes on 198 Posts

If you get my reference.

This is the exact reason why we're coming into this market. It's pretty unfair to say the least. Maybe they have to recoupe profits for such low quantity in sales?
I guess if Porsche is the only thing they offer, then I guess a %500 percent profit margin is normal? LOL

Anyways, be on the lookout for our JB4 system and other complimenting parts such as full intake system to the turbo inlet, and our Y pipe system.
Our tuning systems, and fabrication is all manufactured in USA. There are no compromises with our products or quality and we stand by them 100%.
So don't let the low prices fool you, we have our own facility and there are no middle men.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:49 PM
BMS
Former Vendor

Received 259 Likes on 198 Posts

Thank you for your kind words! Yes, we have started in the BMW scene with great results. MBZ, VAG, Infiniti, and Ford are under our belts too now!
I'm working on Porsche and Mclarens right now, so that's what I'm personally juggling with in development.

Price is still TBD, but it will be less than half the cost of anything on the market.
I think it's going to be:
$1499 for the 991.2 Turbo/S
$1199 for the 991.1 Turbo/S

Quick Reply: Bang for Buck questions