2019 991.2 Turbo S weight loss plan. - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
991 Turbo Turbo and Turbo S

2019 991.2 Turbo S weight loss plan.

 
Old 02-10-2019, 05:41 PM
  #1  
onfireTTS
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 101
Default 2019 991.2 Turbo S weight loss plan.

Since my build went to V260 last Thursday , time to start planning mods and weight loss.

Searched for part weights on here and 6Speed. Plus the Official Porsche Turbo S pdf.

Porsche lists the base Curb weight of a Turbo S at 3,528 lbs. No options. Car and Driver scaled one at 3,571 lbs non sunroof car with less than a full tank of fuel. Must have been a very low option car on fumes.

I ordered my car with as few weight options as I could stand to make it a "lightweight". I'm very curious what it will weigh with a full tank of fuel on my Intercomps. I was hoping for 3,599lbs but doubt that now. No sunroof, FAL, Burmester (Porsche pdf claims the Bose is 13lbs lighter due to one Amp vs two), no seat cooling.

Weight loss plans so far:

Stock exhaust = 58lbs. Kline Inconel (On my scales) = 19lbs = 39lb loss.
Rear seats = 22lbs (6Speed) = 22lb loss
Stock battery 54lbs (Thanks to Randyc151) Braille Lithium that I have is 18 lbs. = 34lb loss.

Those three combined will drop 95lbs. Fairly significant.

Potenial future weight loss:
Stock front wheel = 23lbs. HRE LW101 = 17lbs
Stock rear wheel = 27lbs. HRE LW101 = 21lbs.
Another 24 lbs total and it's a bonus rotational weight loss.

Stock Front Seat with heat/cooling = 63lbs.
I'm not going to one piece seats like I have in another car. Potentially it would save 80lbs.
Hopefully, no cooling fans/wiring saved 5 lbs per seat for a 10lb loss.

Any other weight loss suggestions ?
onfireTTS is online now  
Old 02-10-2019, 06:17 PM
  #2  
Steve Theodore
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Steve Theodore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 687
Default

What are your goals? You have the basics down already for sure, as an inconel exhaust, lightweight battery, and rear seats constitute 'easy' weight loss you won't notice. Seats would obviously be a big place to lose weight as well, but will start to be noticeable in terms of luxury given up for street use.

Getting more serious you could consider some Cup Car (or equivalent) front fenders/hood, replace the stock rear deck-lid with an aftermarket fixed unit, but you're going to find that you will start getting quickly to the point of removing things you really notice for civility. Is your ambition to keep the car fun for the street and date nights, or really go wild to have an AWD track weapon that doesn't see much street use? Once you decide to go the real race route, even things like carbon doors start to become real items of interest.
Steve Theodore is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 06:30 PM
  #3  
onfireTTS
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 101
Default

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore View Post
What are your goals? You have the basics down already for sure, as an inconel exhaust, lightweight battery, and rear seats constitute 'easy' weight loss you won't notice. Seats would obviously be a big place to lose weight as well, but will start to be noticeable in terms of luxury given up for street use.

Getting more serious you could consider some Cup Car (or equivalent) front fenders/hood, replace the stock rear deck-lid with an aftermarket fixed unit, but you're going to find that you will start getting quickly to the point of removing things you really notice for civility. Is your ambition to keep the car fun for the street and date nights, or really go wild to have an AWD track weapon that doesn't see much street use? Once you decide to go the real race route, even things like carbon doors start to become real items of interest.
Great question. (BTW, your post in the other thread about your pure stock, full tank 991.1 really got me thinking. 3648lbs without FAL or a Sunroof is real world. Do you have ceramic brakes on that scaling ? )

This car will be kept comfy for mini vacation trips. I have other stripper, +1000hp stuff for the thrill needs. Just want this one to be a solid performer. Will not pull the ECM out for a tune, but might add a piggy if a good one exists for a small 3-4psi boost.

onfireTTS is online now  
Old 02-10-2019, 06:34 PM
  #4  
Bruce H.
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Mosport, Ont T1-10
Posts: 57
Default

This thread should be interesting!

A couple of additional suggestions I believe that I've copied from an A/S post in Steve's recent thread ...

"i went with lighter springs (stiffer than my 2016 GT3RS), my car has a track suspension more capable than my old 2016 GT3 RS (it beat every lap time of my old RS everywhere on same tires/Wheels), 19” forgeline wheels, inconel headers, inconel race kline muffler (their lightest), the porsche oem lithium battery, no tools, fire bottle out, no rear floor mats, nearly empty windshield washer reservoir, first aid kit out, trunk tool covers out, and just 2.5 gallons of fuel to complete one lap.

Getting to 3480 lbs with a full tank of fuel would require a few extra changes, in additiion to my changes above, as a full tank of fuel adds 105 lbs (so your target would br 3375 lbs on no fuel).

You’re spot on with the rear seat delete, remove the rear seat belts too. On my 2019 GT3 RS, Porsche went with very lightweight carpeting all around, If I were to build for lightness, I would take the 4 seats out , install the .2 RS floor and rear shelf carpets, and put a nice set of Recaro Pole Position Carbon buckets, redone on my choice of good leather, this little seat project alone would net over 130 lbs savings (deleting all 4 stock seats).

TPC Racing adapted the GT3 RS rear deck lid to their shop car, that would save plenty more as it removes the heavy metal, fiberglass and moving rear spoiler with a Carbon deck and huge downforce wing. TPC did front GT3 Cup fenders, bumper and hood, much lighter and cheaper than the street 991 RS parts, here is another 50 lbs to be reduced. Combine the seat mods above and these aero parts, and now the car is at 3200 lbs with no fuel. My old lightweight-spec 2016 GT3 RS was 3163 lbs with barely any fuel, and plastic interior (no full leather like all TT/TTS), PCCB, carbon seats, base radio."
Bruce H. is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 06:53 PM
  #5  
onfireTTS
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 101
Default

"It took me a long time to find a sunroof delete 991 Turbo S about 3+ years ago. Despite of shopping for a lightweight spec Turbo S (because of PCCB, CL, and the needed lightweight roof), the car still came heavy ==> 3,648 lbs."

That's the quote that hurt my feelings.....LOL...
onfireTTS is online now  
Old 02-10-2019, 06:54 PM
  #6  
Steve Theodore
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Steve Theodore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 687
Default

I hope you guys do understand that I don't currently own any 991 generation car, my recent posts were in pursuit of knowledge about them. That being said, I've long been a 'weight weenie' of the highest order, so am just applying what I know from other platforms (including 996 and 997 generation 911s) to this conversation. I've been paying close attention to other similar posts here though, and the methods are truly the same across the generations when you get serious about weight loss, hence my joy to actively participate anyway!

It is definitely more unusual for any 991 era owner to get really serious about weight loss due to the newness of the car, the overall cost of the car, and so on...but I love the idea of serious weight loss on a TTS car to create an 'AWD GT2 RS' type of car, which would be truly amazing for sure. We don't have the constraints that the manufacturer does so can pick and choose from the greatest of OEM and aftermarket solutions to build our custom end solutions. There may be a time when people are bolting on GT2 RS magnesium roofs to their TTS cars, not to mention the front hoods, fenders, bumpers, etc. The true limiting factor is always the wallet when it comes to these projects as the OEM stuff can be not only hard to get, especially at first, but extremely expensive.

I recall reading that a 991.2 era GT3 and TTS set very similar lap times in a given comparison test. The beauty of that is of course that it's SO easy to add performance to the TTS, relative to the GT3. As always, I will continue to follow along eagerly as you guys start to push the boundaries of what is possible, but again the formula does remain the same. Great thread!
Steve Theodore is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 07:34 PM
  #7  
onfireTTS
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 101
Default

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore View Post
I hope you guys do understand that I don't currently own any 991 generation car, my recent posts were in pursuit of knowledge about them. That being said, I've long been a 'weight weenie' of the highest order, so am just applying what I know from other platforms (including 996 and 997 generation 911s) to this conversation. I've been paying close attention to other similar posts here though, and the methods are truly the same across the generations when you get serious about weight loss, hence my joy to actively participate anyway!

It is definitely more unusual for any 991 era owner to get really serious about weight loss due to the newness of the car, the overall cost of the car, and so on...but I love the idea of serious weight loss on a TTS car to create an 'AWD GT2 RS' type of car, which would be truly amazing for sure. We don't have the constraints that the manufacturer does so can pick and choose from the greatest of OEM and aftermarket solutions to build our custom end solutions. There may be a time when people are bolting on GT2 RS magnesium roofs to their TTS cars, not to mention the front hoods, fenders, bumpers, etc. The true limiting factor is always the wallet when it comes to these projects as the OEM stuff can be not only hard to get, especially at first, but extremely expensive.

I recall reading that a 991.2 era GT3 and TTS set very similar lap times in a given comparison test. The beauty of that is of course that it's SO easy to add performance to the TTS, relative to the GT3. As always, I will continue to follow along eagerly as you guys start to push the boundaries of what is possible, but again the formula does remain the same. Great thread!
i appreciate your comments !
onfireTTS is online now  
Old 02-10-2019, 07:44 PM
  #8  
Steve Theodore
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Steve Theodore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 687
Default

I literally day dream all day about mods like these, so to better educate myself on how these aspirations will impact the 991.1 and 991.2 platforms is a real pleasure.

Although a different platform altogether, my 2014 Nissan GT-R wears a Kline Inconel full exhaust, and I worked early on with Felix on that implementation. Kline is more popular with the Porsche crowd for sure, but largely due to this crowd having a bit more discretion where their disposal income is aimed. Fun story is that I bought my Kline exhaust (meaning ordered it) before I even bought my GT-R back in late 2014, early 2015. I was that dedicated to having an inconel exhaust, and the funny part of that story is that the car I ended up buying even had an Akrapovic full titanium exhaust, which I later sold.
Steve Theodore is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 08:49 PM
  #9  
Samb[email protected]
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

 
SamboTT@ByDesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 737
Default

List looking good onfire!
__________________



Since 1998 Your Trusted, Experienced and Proudly #1 Top Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation Exhausts - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - SRM - IPD Plenums - SACHS Performance - forge


SamboTT@ByDesign is online now  
Old 02-10-2019, 09:32 PM
  #10  
kouzman
User
 
kouzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 381
Default

Interesting thread. subscribed.

I am follow a similar approach but not as extreme. I already have the Kline Inconel exhaust, no headers however, I have the Advan GT Premium on order and I will probably get the Antigravity battery setup in March. Based on my calculations I am probably in the 90-100lbs savings, plenty in my book. The HREs or BBS would probably have saved me another 10 lbs or so but for double the cost. I can use the difference on something more meaningful like more engine upgrades for more power!
kouzman is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 09:38 PM
  #11  
Steve Theodore
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Steve Theodore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 687
Default

I bet that the Advan GT's will look glorious on your car...one of my all-time favorite wheel designs!
Steve Theodore is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 09:43 PM
  #12  
onfireTTS
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 101
Default

Originally Posted by kouzman View Post
Interesting thread. subscribed.

I am follow a similar approach but not as extreme. I already have the Kline Inconel exhaust, no headers however, I have the Advan GT Premium on order and I will probably get the Antigravity battery setup in March. Based on my calculations I am probably in the 90-100lbs savings, plenty in my book. The HREs or BBS would probably have saved me another 10 lbs or so but for double the cost. I can use the difference on something more meaningful like more engine upgrades for more power!
Excellent mods ! What are the weights of the GT’s ?
onfireTTS is online now  
Old 02-10-2019, 09:57 PM
  #13  
kouzman
User
 
kouzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 381
Default

Originally Posted by onfireTTS View Post


Excellent mods ! What are the weights of the GT’s ?
The rears weigh 23lbs and fronts weigh 21.5lbs. Compared to my Sport Classics I am saving about 18 lbs. Can't wait!
kouzman is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 10:02 PM
  #14  
onfireTTS
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 101
Default

Originally Posted by kouzman View Post
The rears weigh 23lbs and fronts weigh 21.5lbs. Compared to my Sport Classics I am saving about 18 lbs. Can't wait!
18lbs rotational/unsprung is a chunk.....you will feel that difference !
onfireTTS is online now  
Old 02-10-2019, 10:03 PM
  #15  
onfireTTS
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 101
Default

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
List looking good onfire!
Thanks to your great help, I have the Kline before the car !
onfireTTS is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: