Sponsored by: Road Spy

991.2 Turbo Spoiler failure/stuck

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 05:06 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,109 Likes on 1,329 Posts

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
When you did the battery pull, did you try turning the **** to S+ to see if it static deployed ? Button works, but does the **** work ?
Originally Posted by Big Swole
Good point... I think I totally forgot that. Let me go check..

SO!!! No, it will NOT deploy just by rolling it to Sport Plus on the dial.

YES, it will deploy manually using the button but NOT just using the Sport Plus mode on the dial.

Thoughts??
Old 06-21-2021, 04:16 PM
FlatSixFanboy
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big Swole
SO!!! No, it will NOT deploy just by rolling it to Sport Plus on the dial.

YES, it will deploy manually using the button but NOT just using the Sport Plus mode on the dial.

Thoughts??
I'm having the exact same issue on my 991.1 Turbo. Front spoiler deploys just fine with the button or Sport+ mode, but throws errors when hitting 75. It's also intermittent. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The closest correlation that I can draw is that it tends to fail more at higher ambient temps. Upon doing what research I can, it looks like the most common culprit is the Control Assembly for the front spoiler, part no. 991-358-191-03. It's a black box that appears to contain the air compressor and control module for the front spoiler. Did you ever get your issue sorted? Was it that part? Was it something else? My car is out of warranty, and I want to be sure before dropping the cash on the replacement.

Edit: I guess it's not the exact same issue as Sport+ does extend my spoiler just fine, but it appears very related. In any case, please update the thread if you sorted your issue, and if the Control Assembly box was the problem.

Last edited by FlatSixFanboy; 06-21-2021 at 04:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (06-21-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 05:35 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
My '15 TT also displayed the spoiler deployment error. In my case:
- spoilers front and rear worked manually just fine.
- above 75 mph the rear wing would move to the first position and
- then lower again once speed dropped.
- but, only the first time after starting.
On subsequent transitions through 75 mph the rear wing would not deploy and the spoiler error would appear.
Stopping and starting the car would enable, again, a single deployment of the spoilers at speed.

In my case, replacement of the "Control Assembly" or "Control Box with integral pressure sensor" is reported to have cured the problem. I haven't had a chance to test since I picked it up last Tuesday.

Part number 991-358-191-03 list $1002 and 2.4 labors hours of diag and R&R.

FYI.
I never reported back: my issue was solved by replacement of the above-listed control assembly.
FlatSixFanboy (06-21-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 06:10 PM
FlatSixFanboy
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Appreciate the quick update worf928. I might take the plunge and buy the part, then take it to the dealer to have it installed/coded. I figure it's a better bet to take a calculated risk on a researched hunch than to pay the dealer who knows how much to poke around and pull codes only to try to get me to pay to have the whole assembly replaced for 5k when they get tired of chasing an electrical gremlin.
Old 06-21-2021, 10:27 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FlatSixFanboy
I'm having the exact same issue on my 991.1 Turbo. Front spoiler deploys just fine with the button or Sport+ mode, but throws errors when hitting 75. It's also intermittent. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The closest correlation that I can draw is that it tends to fail more at higher ambient temps. Upon doing what research I can, it looks like the most common culprit is the Control Assembly for the front spoiler, part no. 991-358-191-03. It's a black box that appears to contain the air compressor and control module for the front spoiler. Did you ever get your issue sorted? Was it that part? Was it something else? My car is out of warranty, and I want to be sure before dropping the cash on the replacement.

Edit: I guess it's not the exact same issue as Sport+ does extend my spoiler just fine, but it appears very related. In any case, please update the thread if you sorted your issue, and if the Control Assembly box was the problem.

I have not yet had my repaired or "officially" diagnosed. I'm doing a trip this coming wknd to the Tail of the Dragon area and then I'll line up an appointment with the dealer to get it seen.

I'll definitely report back here and my thread once I have it sorted so others will have a better clue if it happens to them.

Old 06-21-2021, 10:46 PM
CodyzWorld
Burning Brakes

Received 420 Likes on 270 Posts

Ummmmm........I don't know the specific problems, but I've had this happen to me twice.

1) got the car and joined a cruise. at triple digits, the spoiler failure alert immediately came on. did it a few times as I shut down, restarted, thinking it was a computer reboot. Was responsive in the sport mode,
but would not retract when I shut down. Had to manually use the spoiler button.

solution - brought to dealer and they said the bladder assembly had to be replaced under warranty. was not caused by damage.

2) Got a carbon fiber wing, had it installed. when they removed the old wing, put in the new one, the spoiler failure alert came on again.

solution - brought to dealer and they said that they would "comp" me a spoiler recalibration. anytime the rear spoiler has to be removed, recalibration must be done.
Old 06-21-2021, 10:59 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CodyzWorld
Ummmmm........I don't know the specific problems, but I've had this happen to me twice.

1) got the car and joined a cruise. at triple digits, the spoiler failure alert immediately came on. did it a few times as I shut down, restarted, thinking it was a computer reboot. Was responsive in the sport mode,
but would not retract when I shut down. Had to manually use the spoiler button.

solution - brought to dealer and they said the bladder assembly had to be replaced under warranty. was not caused by damage.

2) Got a carbon fiber wing, had it installed. when they removed the old wing, put in the new one, the spoiler failure alert came on again.

solution - brought to dealer and they said that they would "comp" me a spoiler recalibration. anytime the rear spoiler has to be removed, recalibration must be done.

I dang sure hope my car only needs a "recalibration"!!!

I'm not usually that lucky though
Old 06-21-2021, 10:59 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't buy this --^. I removed the *entire* spoiler assembly to change my engine air filter. Then, the next day, went on a week-long ~2100 mile road trip with numerous excursions into the 'auto-deploy-rear-spoiler' zone and did not receive any spoiler warnings.

Also, the WSM does not call for any "re-calibration" after re-installing the spoiler assembly.

So... I don't buy it. I think the dealer went back in there and corrected their mistake. (Probably forgot to plug in the spoiler's 'lectrics.)

Or, the .2 spoiler is so much more sophisticated than the .1 spoiler than it's brain needs to be poked after it's unplugged.

I haven't looked at the .2 WSM for the spoiler. So, it's a possibility. But, I think not and will place my bet on 'not.'
The following 3 users liked this post by worf928:
Big Swole (06-21-2021), Jim M. (08-26-2024), NightBlueTTS (06-22-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 11:21 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FlatSixFanboy
Appreciate the quick update worf928. I might take the plunge and buy the part, then take it to the dealer to have it installed/coded. I figure it's a better bet to take a calculated risk on a researched hunch than to pay the dealer who knows how much to poke around and pull codes only to try to get me to pay to have the whole assembly replaced for 5k when they get tired of chasing an electrical gremlin.
Note that if your failure is identical to mine that in my case it was the pressure sensor inside the controller than failed. That pressure sensor has it's own part number. So...

If I was doing this again now, and thus out of warranty, I would attempt to buy the pressure sensor first, then pull my controller box and attempt a 'rebuild' before buying the new assembly. But, my dad's a TV repair technician and has an awesome set of tools.

I *think* that the part that failed in mine was 991-358-271-00 or perhaps 991-358-265-00.

See: https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/v...ler-components

parts #20 and/or #25.

Note that the controller is $757 (on sale at Sunset right now) and that the reported labor for R&R'ing the front spoiler (for inspection) and the box was 2.36 hours for mine.

Stored codes were:
- "8E0204 - Front Spoiler Pressure Sensor"
- "8E0608 - Front Spoiler Linear Sensor Stored In Rear End Control Unit"
Old 06-22-2021, 09:43 AM
CodyzWorld
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by worf928
I don't buy this --^. I removed the *entire* spoiler assembly to change my engine air filter. Then, the next day, went on a week-long ~2100 mile road trip with numerous excursions into the 'auto-deploy-rear-spoiler' zone and did not receive any spoiler warnings.

Also, the WSM does not call for any "re-calibration" after re-installing the spoiler assembly.

So... I don't buy it. I think the dealer went back in there and corrected their mistake. (Probably forgot to plug in the spoiler's 'lectrics.)

Or, the .2 spoiler is so much more sophisticated than the .1 spoiler than it's brain needs to be poked after it's unplugged.

I haven't looked at the .2 WSM for the spoiler. So, it's a possibility. But, I think not and will place my bet on 'not.'
Thanks for the comments. Since i've never removed the wing myself, can't comment on that. From what I remembered seeing, there's no plug directly at the top wing,
at least I didn't see it. It was working fine when I got there before the install, so as the process of elimination goes, it was removing the top rear spoiler that triggered this
"Spoiler Failure Alert" symbol.

Since the service advisor "comped" this for me, there was no reason to doubt them??? Here's another thing that he said to me about the wing and deployment of the
spoilers. People should not leave their wings deployed on shut off, make sure they are retracted as it takes power from the battery leaving them deployed. So, you can
drain your battery if you leave them deployed for long periods of time...........that's what he said.
Old 06-22-2021, 07:10 PM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 139 Posts

Thanks for the comments. Since i've never removed the wing myself, can't comment on that. From what I remembered seeing, there's no plug directly at the top wing,
at least I didn't see it. It was working fine when I got there before the install, so as the process of elimination goes, it was removing the top rear spoiler that triggered this
"Spoiler Failure Alert" symbol.

Since the service advisor "comped" this for me, there was no reason to doubt them??? Here's another thing that he said to me about the wing and deployment of the
spoilers. People should not leave their wings deployed on shut off, make sure they are retracted as it takes power from the battery leaving them deployed. So, you can
drain your battery if you leave them deployed for long periods of time...........that's what he said.
The rear spoiler has one connector that gets disconnected upon removal. If it isn't reconnected upon reinstallation, you will get the "Spoiler Failure Alert". It takes less than a minute to reconnect it as the connector is hidden under one piece of plastic that pops out without tools. Recalibration is not necessary for a simple R/R, may be different if installing a new motor.
CodyzWorld (06-23-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 10:13 AM
CodyzWorld
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NightBlueTTS
The rear spoiler has one connector that gets disconnected upon removal. If it isn't reconnected upon reinstallation, you will get the "Spoiler Failure Alert". It takes less than a minute to reconnect it as the connector is hidden under one piece of plastic that pops out without tools. Recalibration is not necessary for a simple R/R, may be different if installing a new motor.
If they didn't plug it back in, it will not deploy upwards right?

After removing and replacing the wing, driving home, the rear spoiler DID deploy upwards, up after 80+ mph, the spoiler alert did come on.........
Old 06-23-2021, 10:33 AM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by PPFANBOY
Hi all,

I have a 991.2 Turbo, new COBB unit was installed.
Following the install, the spoiler is now stuck in the fully extended position. Button doesn't respond. When I drive, the spoiler does not move and at high speeds, the car throws spoiler failure red faults.

Not sure if the issue is electrical or mechanical. Reset of ECU/battery etc doesn't fix the issue. Next step is to take the car to the dealer, but any advice or troubleshooting information would be appreciated.
Maybe the mechanic caused an issue inadvertently, or maybe it is coincidence- but that seems unlikely given the spoiler was messed around with for ecu removal.

Thanks all.
If they didn't plug it back in, it will not deploy upwards right?

After removing and replacing the wing, driving home, the rear spoiler DID deploy upwards, up after 80+ mph, the spoiler alert did come on.........
OP stated that the wing was stuck in the full extended mode and wasn’t moving with speed. Here is my spoiler on the ground yesterday…no recalibration necessary. YMMV 🤷‍♂️

Old 06-30-2021, 10:18 AM
CodyzWorld
Burning Brakes

^^ woohoo ^^ it's wrench time.
Old 07-14-2021, 01:50 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Just dropped the TTS off at the dealer to investigate the "Spoiler Failure" that many are having and wondering about.
I'll report back once they decide what the "Fix" is. I'm betting they want to replace that "brain" like many have had, since everything works perfectly up to 77 mph regardless of miles driven (after code cleared).
78 mph is the key for the failure to pop. Has to be electrical.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Turbo Spoiler failure/stuck