Spoiler Failure Reduce Speed

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 12:28 PM
sscofield
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spoiler Failure Reduce Speed

have a 2017 991.2 T Cab.

driving down the freeway in Phoenix yesterday, the Spoiler Failure Reduce Speed message came up on the display.

pulled off the freeway, shutdown the car and restarted, message went away.

have appointment on Wed for code inspection.....in the mean time, any insight from the forum? I searched this site for previous discussion, but only saw comments on a similair issue for 2015 Turbo.

thx!
Old 05-05-2018, 03:15 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by sscofield
have a 2017 991.2 T Cab.

driving down the freeway in Phoenix yesterday, the Spoiler Failure Reduce Speed message came up on the display.

have appointment on Wed for code inspection.....in the mean time, any insight from the forum? I searched this site for previous discussion, but only saw comments on a similair issue for 2015 Turbo.

thx!
Could be a wide variety of things.

When it happened to me it was just a software glitch. They just flashed the software to fix and no problems since.

Others have had more serious issues e.g. mechanical failure or damage to the bladder on the front spoiler caused by a parking curb. If not covered by warranty (e.g. if it is damage) it can be an expensive fix.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:48 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 779 Posts

I just had this happen, and in my case it was caused by a pinched air line between the air pump and the bladder for the front spoiler. It was caused by the installation of a radar detector system in my car when the installer inadvertently pulled and kinked the line. It was easily found, and the situation resolved as soon as the kink was taken out of the line.

Have you had any work done on the car lately?
Old 05-05-2018, 09:29 PM
Hawkeye911
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sscofield
have a 2017 991.2 T Cab.

thx!
My 2017 991.2 TTS Cab did this once. Turned off, turned back on... have never seen it again. I wouldn’t sweat it.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:40 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Interesting that Porsche wants you to reduce speed if the spoiler(s) cannot be deployed. I guess they really are functional!
Old 05-06-2018, 02:17 PM
sscofield
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thx for the input/comments.

I have not had any work done (e.g. K4 installation, etc.) but I did have the Porche dealer install intercoller guards, but that was months ago, and no problem until just the other day.

i never run in Sport Plus mode, and have not hit anything on the front spoiler.

i,ll let yu know what i hear after the Wednesday review.

thx again.

ss
Old 04-18-2021, 02:19 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,262 Posts

I just had this happen to me tonight. I put it Sport Plus manually and then was getting on the Hwy.
The Warning msg. popped up and now Both Front and Rear spoilers won't deploy. At speed or manually.

Can the code just be cleared?? I don't have a code reader / clearer, so I need to find one and try it.

Old 04-18-2021, 09:21 AM
CodyzWorld
Burning Brakes

Received 374 Likes on 246 Posts

I've had this happen. First time was my first cruise after getting my car.
The cure was that the dealer had to order and replace all internals, excluding the actual rubber spoiler. I heard from them that was an expensive fix.

2nd time, my wrapper took off the top wing to wrap. after everything was installed, the spoiler alert came back on, took to the dealer and they said........
anytime the wing is removed, they need to "recalibrate" the front and rear again......that's what they said.
Old 04-18-2021, 12:45 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CodyzWorld
I've had this happen. First time was my first cruise after getting my car.
The cure was that the dealer had to order and replace all internals, excluding the actual rubber spoiler. I heard from them that was an expensive fix.

2nd time, my wrapper took off the top wing to wrap. after everything was installed, the spoiler alert came back on, took to the dealer and they said........
anytime the wing is removed, they need to "recalibrate" the front and rear again......that's what they said.

I'm hoping / praying it's just something like a glitch or something just needs reset.

Would be my luck to have a huge repair bill right after selling my 308. smh.
Old 04-18-2021, 01:44 PM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Received 1,091 Likes on 842 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
I'm hoping / praying it's just something like a glitch or something just needs reset.

Would be my luck to have a huge repair bill right after selling my 308. smh.
A quick and dirty reset by disconnecting the battery is worth a try....sometimes works for minor stuff...
The following 2 users liked this post by onfireTTS:
Big Swole (04-18-2021), ToeKneeArmAss (09-29-2022)
Old 04-18-2021, 01:49 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
A quick and dirty reset by disconnecting the battery is worth a try....sometimes works for minor stuff...

Hate to have to do that only because it's a PITA to have to reset everything, but it's certainly worth the try for the frustration of the Spoiler msg.
Old 04-18-2021, 04:44 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Okay folks!! I need suggestions here before having to take It in. There HAS to be a hard code set or a connection that's just dirty or something I can check. Maybe a bad sensor for the 75 mph speed deployment that can be replaced.

I was driving in Sport Plus yesterday in town just before hitting the hwy. Spoilers deployed
Hit the hwy. got up to speed and must have hit 75 mph and got the Spoiler Failure displayed.
Spoilers deactivated with the button but would Never deploy again after that manually.
I pulled the positive cable on the battery today and I was immediately able to manually deploy them WITHOUT any error or malfunction.
Drove it again and just as soon as I hit the 75 mph sensor deployment, I get the code again. I did this reset and check TWICE!!!

Some people have been charged Stupid amounts of money by dealers to replace all the components to fix their similar issue but there's NO WAY mine can be anything other than an electronic / programming / code issue.
PLEASE watch my vid and let me know your thoughts and / or suggested fixes. Maybe there's a plug I need to disconnect / reconnect and / or clean that just malfunctioning. Where would these be????

Old 04-18-2021, 04:54 PM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Received 1,091 Likes on 842 Posts

Okay folks!! I need suggestions here before having to take It in. There HAS to be a hard code set or a connection that's just dirty or something I can check. Maybe a bad sensor for the 75 mph speed deployment that can be replaced.

I was driving in Sport Plus yesterday in town just before hitting the hwy. Spoilers deployed
Hit the hwy. got up to speed and must have hit 75 mph and got the Spoiler Failure displayed.
Spoilers deactivated with the button but would Never deploy again after that manually.
I pulled the positive cable on the battery today and I was immediately able to manually deploy them WITHOUT any error or malfunction.
Drove it again and just as soon as I hit the 75 mph sensor deployment, I get the code again. I did this reset and check TWICE!!!

Some people have been charged Stupid amounts of money by dealers to replace all the components to fix their similar issue but there's NO WAY mine can be anything other than an electronic / programming / code issue.
PLEASE watch my vid and let me know your thoughts and / or suggested fixes. Maybe there's a plug I need to disconnect / reconnect and / or clean that just malfunctioning. Where would these be????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkNcbgUAmCI
When you did the battery pull, did you try turning the **** to S+ to see if it static deployed ? Button works, but does the **** work ?
Old 04-18-2021, 04:55 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

When you did the battery pull, did you try turning the **** to S+ to see if it static deployed ? Button works, but does the **** work ?

Good point... I think I totally forgot that. Let me go check..
Old 04-18-2021, 05:04 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Good point... I think I totally forgot that. Let me go check..

SO!!! No, it will NOT deploy just by rolling it to Sport Plus on the dial.

YES, it will deploy manually using the button but NOT just using the Sport Plus mode on the dial.

Thoughts??

Quick Reply: Spoiler Failure Reduce Speed