Sponsored by:

I Need Everyone's Help that Cares About Our Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 12:30 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Money - explain to me why with the FVD side mufflers that there are no valves and that the PSE button would be deemed - dead. Are the current valves connected to the OEM side mufflers??
Yes.

Hence, why retained when doing a center bypass only.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:30 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As Ii recall, Money's test only involved testing with the Sharkwerks bypass, correct?
Old 03-19-2015, 01:39 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
Yes.

Hence, why retained when doing a center bypass only.
Now I am even more interested in upgraded side mufflers w/o valves that not only reduce more wait but if it really produces a better exhaust note - that would be killer/ideal
Old 03-19-2015, 04:54 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 78 Posts

One of my biggest concerns about the valved solutions from Cargraphic, Akra, iPE is that they are designed to operate like stock. So I'd have a little better sound for thousands of dollars and still have the same annoying valve operation: open at idle, closed at take-off, open at 3,700ish rpms, closed again when upshifting. It drives me nuts since I'm driving around town 50% of the time. It is especially annoying now that I've tested and become aware that the closed valves are causing me to lose low-end torque and horsepower.

Ultimately what I want is to press the PSE button ON and have the valves open at all RPMs. Then press the button off and the valves can do whatever is necessary to maximize the happy medium of quiet tone and maximum low-end torque.

My original plan with iPE and then with Cargraphic through John at BGB was to be able to force the valves open at the press of a button. We were pretty certain that the PSE button would still do the exact same thing as stock with all of the opening and closing. It seems clear as day to me that the valves switching is simply for sound reasons. So my concern was spending $4-$5K on a full rear section, force the valves open (which the exhaust were not designed to do or tuned for), and get crazy drone or some other annoying resonance. Or worse yet, lose a bunch of power like the iPE indicates in the graph.

The simple solution to all of this would be to get a cup exhaust. This would eliminate the entire side muffler section but is end-the-earth loud and droney. I just want it to sound meatier without all of this valve nonsense. As you can see in the photo below, the FVD side muffler solution has two little elbow pipes. Those pipes will connect the center bypass or center muffler to the side mufflers. This eliminates the factory valves. So the PSE button will be rendered useless. Just for piece of mind, I have a habit of pressing the button ON.

So the conclusion I have is that this FVD option is already tuned and designed for what I'm looking to accomplish: No drone, better sound, no stupid valve operation. I still wish we had the option to make the GT3 exhaust like the C2S:

press the button ON, valves open
press the button OFF, valves are computer controlled.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:23 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

Couldn't you use a couple of normally open 12V solenoids to control the valves? Put a switch in the car to operate the valves. Switch on the vacuum lines are closed. The same as plugging the lines. Left off the lines are open and function as normal.

Money, It will be interesting to see what you have at the Smokies.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:49 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 601 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Couldn't you use a couple of normally open 12V solenoids to control the valves? Put a switch in the car to operate the valves. Switch on the vacuum lines are closed. The same as plugging the lines. Left off the lines are open and function as normal. Money, It will be interesting to see what you have at the Smokies.
Yes...anything that will send a ground to the solenoid will achieve what you are looking to do. We have installed vacuum actuators on both intake plenums and exhaust mufflers this way...we have also purchased digital RPM boxes from MSD to get a tach signal and do it based on our own desired RPM. The best way however is running a wire to the pin in the DME and having the DME do it all but that's more model specific.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:46 PM
vf430
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

BBI side pipes eliminates the side mufflers and keeps the stock center mufflers. I am going ahead with this plan and will let everyone know the results next week . I already had a chance to hear this setup , it sounds best by far, aggressive and exotic tone ...950 bucks cant go wrong by much. Loss of valve capability is the downside , but i dont mind loud . This is no where as loud as my Scud.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:11 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Money, as I already have the SW center bypass and really just interested in a fuller, meatier sound without spending a bunch more money your current option with the FVD seems like a win for me. I'm assuming that if/when you sell the car you can return the system to normal such that the PSE button will start functioning again?
I'd also be interested in hearing a before / after sound clip of car with just SW bypass and then car with SW + FVD bypass. I will take mine on the track occasionally and so being on the left coast will need to comply with the sound regs!!!
And just to throw in my 2c worth as an Engineer - reduce the restrictions in an exhaust system (baffles, valves, etc) will reduce the back pressure on the firing part of the engine and will result in increase HP. I know there are other factors to take into consideration but this is basically why all racing and after market systems do not have cat converters and bigger header pipes to reduce back pressure.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:35 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ducati1199
Money, as I already have the SW center bypass and really just interested in a fuller, meatier sound without spending a bunch more money your current option with the FVD seems like a win for me. I'm assuming that if/when you sell the car you can return the system to normal such that the PSE button will start functioning again?
I'd also be interested in hearing a before / after sound clip of car with just SW bypass and then car with SW + FVD bypass. I will take mine on the track occasionally and so being on the left coast will need to comply with the sound regs!!!
And just to throw in my 2c worth as an Engineer - reduce the restrictions in an exhaust system (baffles, valves, etc) will reduce the back pressure on the firing part of the engine and will result in increase HP. I know there are other factors to take into consideration but this is basically why all racing and after market systems do not have cat converters and bigger header pipes to reduce back pressure.
I should have it all set-up as soon as a set arrives from Germany. They want to sell some of these, so I'm hoping they will get here in 3 weeks or so. You will easily be able return to stock when done. There won't be any cutting or modification. If I didn't have the Sharkwerks bypass would have just bought FVD's version, but this will work fine with the SW.

I think some guys are just reluctant to modify and are under the impression that Porsche has made the perfect car that could never be improved. The reality is that they have to make concessions to comply with certain rules and regulations. We can almost always improve on the stock car.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:38 PM
gt2urbo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GMG RACES SHARKWERKS DOESNT . FAVOR GMG . I dont care who sharkwerks gives cars to( MW) i wont buy from them period... love all this street car people XD. You pay to play . these arent civics.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:23 PM
Finlander
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 146 Posts

I'd also be interested in hearing a before / after sound clip of car with just SW bypass and then car with SW + FVD bypass.
Money, I have the SW bypass and valves disconnected. If your interested I'd be willing to offer my car for a side by side video to hear the difference between the 2 systems.

I'm also interested in this FVD option.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:37 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Brandon_
Money, I have the SW bypass and valves disconnected. If your interested I'd be willing to offer my car for a side by side video to hear the difference between the 2 systems.

Txs Brandon - side by side would be awesome. However, knowing OCD Matt he'll have a feature length video with every possible combo on video!! I seem to remember the only video we haven't got was the SW install as his wife deleted it before he uploaded.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:01 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brandon_

Let's do it! I'm ordering a new mic right now.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...deo_mic_x.html
Old 03-19-2015, 11:08 PM
Finlander
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 146 Posts

Txs Brandon - side by side would be awesome.
My pleasure

Originally Posted by Money2536
Let's do it! I'm ordering a new mic right now.
Sounds good... will be nice to meet you.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:23 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
Has anyone ever actually been to B&H??? It's one of the cooler stores of the world.
I'd like to check it out someday. Lord knows I've spent a small fortune there.

Quick Reply: I Need Everyone's Help that Cares About Our Exhaust