Sponsored by:

I Need Everyone's Help that Cares About Our Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 02:23 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Money - Any details you can offer why you think IPE is junk. I have to admit; one of the best sounding systems out there. I almost pulled the trigger on it last Sept but decided that I am not going to throw another full exhaust on my car which I have a habit of only keeping 2 years. And, of course, do not want any warranty issues
Maybe junk is a bit too strong of a word without enough facts to back it up. My opinion is based largely on the fact that I don't like their shady tactics on the forums. They are often creating fake usernames and posting up links to their stuff.

The other problem I have with the exhaust is the lack of transparancy in their dyno figures. There is a huge torque drop off in the low-end. What the heck is that all about? Why would they post a dyno graph if there wasn't this massive dip? I'm cool with a few HP here and there, but the dip shown below is very odd to me.

I had actually ordered one, but changed my mind after finding out that the valve system works just like stock: open, closed, open, closed, open. That doesn't solve anything. You can program the exhaust to stay open with a key fob, but no one to my knowledge has actually done it I'm guessing it's going to have massive drone. I also don't like raspy, high pitched exhausts and that's what they are all about.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:24 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,744 Likes on 5,127 Posts

Originally Posted by Money2536
I know many of us think the car's exhaust note with or without the simple bypass is perfect. I've been pretty vocal about this, but I'm not one of them.

Currently, I have the Sharkwerks bypass with the valves forced open. I don't hate the way the car sounds, but I believe that the sound the 991 GT3 makes with some simple R&D can still be significantly improved. Shoot, we have one of the greatest man made engines on the planet, we need a better exhaust!

Here is the problem: say we end up with 1,500 991 GT3s and another 600 991 GT3RSs in the US. The volume of cars produced is making it difficult for a manufacturer to committ to the R&D it would take to make a FULL exhaust.

Here is what I want:

A FULL rear section exhaust (not just a center muffler bypass) that includes the deletion of the super heavy side mufflers, replaced by a leaner muffler or resonator.

A drone-less system that is valved that works with the PSE button. PSE Button ON - Valves open at all RPMs. PSE OFF - It can do whatever the car wants. I don't care because my button will never be off, but I'm guessing many would prefer it to work like stock. I would acutally prefer not to have valves at all, but I'm guessing more exhausts will get sold if it is valved.

Now we don't always get what we want, so I'm flexible as long as we improve the sound. I've begged several manufacturers to address this, but they are all concerned that not enough would sell.

The reason for the post today is that I spoke with Ryan at GMG. Now, I know these guys have a bit of a rough reputation with some of you, but I've had a long, candid conversation with him after ordering my roll bar. I got the whole story. Ryan is legit. He's a dual Mechanical and Electrical Engineer that is hardcore about cars like us. He and the head fabricator have been begging the higher ups to allow them to make a FULL rear exaust for the 991 GT3/RS. He believes that if something is done about the side mufflers, then their equal length header would actually do something. Personally, I'd be all about their header if it were in combiation with a useful exhaust.

I told him that I could sell a bunch of them if they made something like I explained above. Am I the only crazy one that is not satisfyed with a bypass? I'm ready to start begging, so long as I'm not the only one. If I'm not, please post your thoughts so I can start this crusade.

Thanks,
Matt
You should check with what M&M has available. They have, I believe, what you are looking for.

http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/3_...0/Exhaust.html
Old 03-18-2015, 02:25 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

By the way, I'm working on figuring out what this Cargraphic system is all about.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:28 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,744 Likes on 5,127 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Money - Any details you can offer why you think IPE is junk. I have to admit; one of the best sounding systems out there. I almost pulled the trigger on it last Sept but decided that I am not going to throw another full exhaust on my car which I have a habit of only keeping 2 years. And, of course, do not want any warranty issues
Fitment issues. Ask some of the guys on the bimmer forums.

They break.

Made in Taiwan. Personally, I don't want a Far East product on my German automobile.

Their image is too much "boy racer" and Fast & Furious for me. But that's subjective, everything else up above is not.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:30 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
You should check with what M&M has available. They have, I believe, what you are looking for.

http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/3_...0/Exhaust.html
Oh man! I just called them. I'll report back.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:22 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Talk with Rhonda down in Florida. I think they make some of the best sport exhaust systems. I put one on my 997.2 Turbo and it made it sound NA. Quality is top notch and do believe their performance figures. I may be wrong but I think they also make the exhaust for the Cup cars for Porsche
Old 03-18-2015, 03:22 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Money2536
By the way, I'm working on figuring out what this Cargraphic system is all about.
I just sent John Tecce at BGB a note so maybe he can drop into this thread and provide some details. I run the Cargraphics system on my track car and it's great. I would like to know more about their GT3 systems as well.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:03 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I just sent John Tecce at BGB a note so maybe he can drop into this thread and provide some details. I run the Cargraphics system on my track car and it's great. I would like to know more about their GT3 systems as well.
I've been talking to John. We are working with Cargraphic to get some answers about the valve operation.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:25 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 601 Likes on 268 Posts

POST EDITED. OP found another solution.

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 03-18-2015 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:34 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Thanks Nate and Matt for bringing this potential opportunity to us. Given that we have made a career out of shoving motors in cars that were never supposed to have them, I think we might be able to at least get traction with Cargraphic to get you guys what you would all want on your cars. If we can achieve what Matt is looking for and we use his opinion as standard for the board, we might be able to have Cargraphic produce a system that has everything you all want. At present moment, Matt is looking at their Lightweight Sport Exhaust System #1 that runs the center muffler delete AND replaces the OE side mufflers with upgraded Cargraphic ones. The consensus seems to be that you don't want the DME driving the flap actuation and we all know we DO NOT want drone; is this the case at least with the flap activation? You guys don't want the DME driving it? Let's see what Germany reports back tomorrow. I grabbed them just before close of business and found out that while it has to be ordered, it can be had in 3 weeks.
Thanks for responding John!
Old 03-18-2015, 04:41 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

I'm taking one for the team. I spoke to Rhonda from FVD Brombacher for about 30 minutes. I've ordered these side muffler replacements made by M&M to test them out with my Sharkwerks bypass as a low cost solution. She said these sound amazing with a center bypass. They essentially allow for valve deletion and bolt up to the factory cats.

I'm still not giving up hope that we can have a functional exhaust that works with the factory PSE button that fixes the goofy factory valve operation.

I'm sure you all know I'll have like a hundred photos and video of install and operation.

http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/3_...ut_valves.html

Old 03-18-2015, 04:50 PM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ hmm! Interesting. Let us know how things turn out....
Old 03-18-2015, 04:58 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mdkim
The only issue I have is the possibility of torque loss when replacing the side mufflers and/or headers and cats.
Agreed and valuable for non track guys. The loss of the valves alone diminishes torque.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:02 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911dev
Agreed and valuable for non track guys. The loss of the valves alone diminishes torque.
Deleting the valves does not cause a loss in torque.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...st-valves.html
Old 03-18-2015, 05:25 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

You may be on to some thing. I am also interested in how this will sound by swapping the side mufflers. This may be a very good solution. I would like her to post what makes these different than the OEM side mufflers

Quick Reply: I Need Everyone's Help that Cares About Our Exhaust