Sponsored by:

Chris Harris drives the 991 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 03:51 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Typical linguistically clever and entertaining Monkey video but other than the fact that optional seats are fixed vs folding (side note: passenger and driver seats are different) and that the RWS goes neutral when drifting really nothing new that wasn't already covered in this forum and the R&T review. Stellar car; tragedy about the lack of manual option.

Remain 1st on my dealer's list for manual 991 RS with 5-lug option.....
That was an engineering prototype....the seats will be the same (whatever they look like) in the production car....
Old 06-14-2013, 04:15 AM
1198r
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OzStriker
The thing is, a racing car driver is a person doing a job - they are in the car to perform a specified task, normally to be 1st at the end of a race weekend.

I bought myself a new GTR a few years ago because I thought outright speed would bring me all the driving pleasure I could ever want.

After a few track days and uninspiring road driving I realised that there is so much more to driving than sheer pace.

I then bought a GT3 because I wanted a manual box, I wanted a car that was sensitive to balance and challenging to drive - something I could always learn from.

It is people like myself who will not be buying a 991 GT3. We are in the minority. As CH says, for every one of us there will now be three or four new customers who come to the brand so all will be a success for Porsche.
Racing car drivers still enjoy racing their cars. I have also owned a GT-R and enjoyed the car but it was too heavy and cumbersome on the track - not nimble and a loons car such as my RS is. I also lucky enough to drive GT3 CUP car and with the sequential gear box just THE best car I have driven, having deeply embedded the whole experience in my memory and senses.

Originally Posted by BBMGT3
Fast is fun.

Cage & harness available in ROW. USA for whatever reason not yet.

Everyone cites the GTR as the example of how fast is not fun. I am ready to cite a 100 cars that are slow and not fun.
Agree.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:19 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Typical linguistically clever and entertaining Monkey video but other than the fact that optional seats are fixed vs folding (side note: passenger and driver seats are different) and that the RWS goes neutral when drifting really nothing new that wasn't already covered in this forum and the R&T review. Stellar car; tragedy about the lack of manual option.

Remain 1st on my dealer's list for manual 991 RS with 5-lug option.....
You mean the 991.2 GT3RS right? The 991 GT3 RS will not come with a manual gearbox. Nor will it have 5 lugs. 100%!

If you'd like to bet beer for wine on it Im happy to take the wager as it seems to be the popular challenge to me of late....
Old 06-14-2013, 06:45 AM
NBTBRV8
Racer

Old 06-14-2013, 08:22 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,886 Likes on 2,228 Posts

Originally Posted by BBMGT3
Fast is fun.
Slow is usually boring. Faster is usually more fun. But fast alone is not necessarily fun enough. The car also needs to thoroughly engage the driver, responding sensitively to the driver's inputs while amply communicating the physics of what's happening to the driver, without overly masking driver mistakes. It's not yet clear that the 991 GT3 is better than or equal to the 997 GT3 on these criteria, though both are certainly great cars, and both are plenty fast.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:37 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by OzStriker
The thing is, a racing car driver is a person doing a job - they are in the car to perform a specified task, normally to be 1st at the end of a race weekend.

I bought myself a new GTR a few years ago because I thought outright speed would bring me all the driving pleasure I could ever want.

After a few track days and uninspiring road driving I realised that there is so much more to driving than sheer pace.

I then bought a GT3 because I wanted a manual box, I wanted a car that was sensitive to balance and challenging to drive - something I could always learn from.

It is people like myself who will not be buying a 991 GT3. We are in the minority. As CH says, for every one of us there will now be three or four new customers who come to the brand so all will be a success for Porsche.
This ^^. Had a GTR as well.

Originally Posted by Manifold
Slow is usually boring. Faster is usually more fun. But fast alone is not necessarily fun enough. The car also needs to thoroughly engage the driver, responding sensitively to the driver's inputs while amply communicating the physics of what's happening to the driver, without overly masking driver mistakes. It's not yet clear that the 991 GT3 is better than or equal to the 997 GT3 on these criteria, though both are certainly great cars, and both are plenty fast.
We did not choose a crazy fast PDK 997TTS over 997GT3.
For the same reasons I cant yet choose a 991GT3 over a 997GT3.. We will see what the RS brings and 991.2RS will bring...
Old 06-14-2013, 11:19 AM
1198r
Pro

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
This ^^. Had a GTR as well.

We did not choose a crazy fast PDK 997TTS over 997GT3.
For the same reasons I cant yet choose a 991GT3 over a 997GT3.. We will see what the RS brings and 991.2RS will bring...
Dude, when I get mine, sort yourself out a trip to Dubai and I will arrange for you to drive mine either round the autodrome or Yas Marina. Of course, only if I think the trip would be worth it for you No joke either.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:39 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,742 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
That was an engineering prototype....the seats will be the same (whatever they look like) in the production car....
Ya think?

Originally Posted by Macca
You mean the 991.2 GT3RS right? The 991 GT3 RS will not come with a manual gearbox. Nor will it have 5 lugs. 100%!

If you'd like to bet beer for wine on it Im happy to take the wager as it seems to be the popular challenge to me of late....
No need to wager. I can wait - plenty of toys to keep me occupied.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:40 AM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Manifold
Completely agreed. Again, more over reactions. Just b/c the GT3 now only comes with an auto does not automatically make it a GTR in terms of fun factor. I just love it how people automatically point to the GTR car as the holy grail of fast but unfun and then categorically proclaim that the new GT3 is the same animal.

I think the better question is whether the Scud or 458 are fast but unfun. If you aren't having fun in a Scud then the new GT3 is likely not for you.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:11 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,886 Likes on 2,228 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Completely agreed. Again, more over reactions. Just b/c the GT3 now only comes with an auto does not automatically make it a GTR in terms of fun factor. I just love it how people automatically point to the GTR car as the holy grail of fast but unfun and then categorically proclaim that the new GT3 is the same animal.

I think the better question is whether the Scud or 458 are fast but unfun. If you aren't having fun in a Scud then the new GT3 is likely not for you.
Based on what I know at this point, I'll take a 991 GT3 over a GT-R in a heartbeat. If one of Porsche's goals was to create a good reason to not get a GT-R, I think they succeeded.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:16 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,296 Likes on 602 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Curious as to what other cars are on your dream list that are MT?
Some of my favorite three-pedal factory efforts...
Carrera GT V10
RS 4.0
996 GT3
Boxster Spyder
997 GT3 Cup/RSR
997-1 GT2
993 RS
959S
997-1 GT2
Base 997-1, 997-2, 991-1 with NO performance options

And some other three-pedal cars that really stood out...
Ruf CTR (!!!!!!)
Champion's "Werk K1" (tuned 997 Turbo)
Audi R8
E30 M3 w/2.5, 16s, and Dinan suspension
550 Maranello
BMW 1M

But don't get me wrong, I spent two years with a PDK Cayman S to see if I could be converted (loved it on track, a lot less so on the street), and there are some two-pedal cars I am very into, from the ur-S8, C63, and Pana GTS to the 458 Italia and (tentatively, after a limited drive) 918 Spyder. After all, fun is where you find it.

Given the choice, though, I'll always row my own.

pete
Old 06-14-2013, 12:18 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by frayed
Just b/c the GT3 now only comes with an auto does not automatically make it a GTR in terms of fun factor. I just love it how people automatically point to the GTR car as the holy grail of fast but unfun and then categorically proclaim that the new GT3 is the same animal.
Driven both, and feel you are correct. 991 GT3 is no GT-R. It does not feel "robotic," as the Nissan can.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:21 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mclaudio
Very interesting comments, Pete. I also watched CH's video with great interest. Your comments (as well as CH's) re: personal/philosophical standpoint are very telling. Voting with your "wallet" is a key metric...

If/when I decide not to race anymore and I can only have one car for track/street use, then the PDK GT3 sounds like an awesome choice. With the 991 GT3, AP's group has certainly pushed the envelope of usability in all fronts. Having said this, a combination of bespoke cars i.e. dedicated race car, fun street car, daily driver, etc. is still the best, least functionally compromised way to go.

Looking forward to your full write up. And hope to play with you again at a track some time (even if I'm in my lowly 944 Rothmans race car).
I'll run with you anytime—you were clean and super smooth out there from what I could see. Hopefully, next time I'll be in my own car, though I'm afraid you may be driving a PDK GT3 by then!
Old 06-14-2013, 12:27 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
Hi Pete - CH seemed to suggest that the new steering is by far the best electric one made, but I detected a suggestion that it is still filtered compared to the hydraulic type. Could you offer your impression there?

What is your best guess about manual tranny versions being offered in the future?

Thanks!
I find the "electric steering" thing a bit overblown, especially as I spend more time around the new machinery with electric-assisted steering. People harped on early 964 hydraulically assisted steering after years of the truly pure, unassisted 911 steering. Now they are harping on electric assist. And it's true: There are some bad systems on the market. But, just as it was when Porsche took its first swipes with the 911, it's early days.

My take on the basic 981/991 is that, yes, some "feel" has been sacrificed, but there are gains in accuracy and response, imho. The 991 GT3's steering is, as Chris states, a big upgrade from the standard 991 calibration (but there are other matters at work that don't include the rack itself). This tells me that, like PASM and so many other similar technologies that offer promising advantages but require thousand of hours of calibrations or even years of lessons learned, electric assist steering will improve. Just like hydraulic assist eventually made it to E36 M3 and 996/997 GT3 levels and PASM has gotten to where it is now.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:30 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Some of my favorite three-pedal factory efforts...
Carrera GT V10
RS 4.0
996 GT3
Boxster Spyder
997 GT3 Cup/RSR
997-1 GT2
993 RS
959S
997-1 GT2
Base 997-1, 997-2, 991-1 with NO performance options

And some other three-pedal cars that really stood out...
Ruf CTR (!!!!!!)
Champion's "Werk K1" (tuned 997 Turbo)
Audi R8
E30 M3 w/2.5, 16s, and Dinan suspension
550 Maranello
BMW 1M

But don't get me wrong, I spent two years with a PDK Cayman S to see if I could be converted, and there are some two-pedal cars I am very into, from the ur-S8, C63, and Pana GTS to the 458 Italia and (tentatively, after a limited drive) 918 Spyder. After all, fun is where you find it.

Given the choice, though, I'll always row my own.

pete
Interesting list. Obviously you are partial to Porsche which is understandable. The 550 and R8 surprised me.

BTW, does your magazine still type set? Sorry, I could not resist.

Quick Reply: Chris Harris drives the 991 GT3