Sponsored by:

Chris Harris drives the 991 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 01:25 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
I'm confident I made the right decision getting early on the list. However, this car just cost me an extra $80,000 b/c I'll likely keep my 964 Turbo 3.6 for that nostalgic, analogue feel (and torque). That won't make my wife happy!
I'm now confident that you did, too. See the white flash go by Chris' thumbs up? That was me. And trust me, there was plenty of driving time, on great roads, in this deal. More quality seat time in the first afternoon than on the main day of most press intros—and no car sharing.

For those open to PDK, the new GT3 is a 10 out of 10. Might even be an 11, but I'll need to wait for more time with the car Stateside.

As to those cynical about CH, I think I may now have actually seen it all...

pete
Old 06-13-2013, 01:38 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by stout

I'm now confident that you did, too. See the white flash go by Chris' thumbs up? That was me. And trust me, there was plenty of driving time, on great roads, in this deal. More quality seat time in the first afternoon than on the main day of most press intros—and no car sharing.

For those open to PDK, the new GT3 is a 10 out of 10. Might even be an 11, but I'll need to wait for more time with the car Stateside.

pete
Cool, you were there? Can you share more tidbits from the day?.. Behind the scenes details etc?

Yea, it's pretty funny to see some comments trying to second guess what CH said in very clear terms.. It's almost like conspiracy theorists who want to look for something when it just isn't there. He said what he said.. Just listen and take it at face value.. It's not like the monkey's inarticulate for Pete sake!!!
Old 06-13-2013, 01:40 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

pete
I heard a week or so ago from an inside source (not at Panorama ) to watch for something something very interesting showing up shortly in Pano on the GT3. Looking forward to it.....
Old 06-13-2013, 02:21 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
i wonder if the steering ratio is different vs the Carrera?
I read the hardware is all the same (rack, geometry) but the software is different and the suspension geometry is different (so technically, the steering geometry is altered, too) but the quality of feel, precision and feedback is "greatly improved." Every time I drive the 991S, I find it hard to believe it's a software thing alone, but numb steering isn't going to deter me from at least owning and driving the 991 GT3 long enough to decide whether it's what I want as a track day car.

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Re: the club sport option, not that it's a good reason, but to the best of my knowledge Porsche have never made the club sport option available here for any of it's GT cars....
The 996 GT3 was "denied" the bolt-in cage because of DOT crash testing regulations that prohibited cages for some reason or other. My vague recollection is a specific exclusion of any modification that changed the cabin and any exposed solid surface within the cabin constituted some sort of "survivability" rating failure.

There's been some threads on cages and the club sport pack, the seats, the fire ex, side and thorax airbags. It's all pretty gray stuff, but the bottom line is clear enough: modifications can be a liability when it comes to insurance, and a "safer" car in practical terms is not viewed as safer by the bureaucrats and the insurance racketeers.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:23 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
I'm a big manual fan, but that being said, there will be more opportunities than you think to drive at redline with the new close-ratio 7spd (the ratios are much lower and closer than on any previous road-going GT3).
What's top speed at redline in 2nd? I'm sure it's over 60 mph and that's a "game over" ticket in most parts of the USA unless it's a freeway (what's the point?) I'm guessing 3rd gear winds out to more like 90-100 mph. That's very close to "book 'em, Danno" territory. So, no, you really don't get to drive a GT3 of any vintage on the road and use its potential much at all. One lap of a track and it's painfully clear that the car is woefully restricted on the road -- whether it's the law or common sense -- you literally can't get out of 2nd gear without being homicidal if you're using the full breath of the engine.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:28 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
The 991 GT3RS will cost 25-30K USD more than the GT3 base price
Very enjoyable reading your posts, thanks. And I really hope you're right about this. I dread the thought of the RS price going too far north. It might well be the car to replace the 997 RS, but no if it's as expensive as 4.0 ... even at $150K, it's getting to be silly money for track day car, but I rationalize it as being "only" $50K more than the 996 GT3 in its day and a mere 50% price increase to get from 400hp to 500hp and ten years later, isn't unreasonable.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:28 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pete
Thanks Pete, and great to hear the vote of confidence about the new car (aside from the PDK only issue).

As for cynicism of Harris, you see, he was set up. You can find posts on this board *before* this review criticizing him for selling off his 4.0 for the fiat, questioning whether he's a true enthusiast, and questioning his fiscal responsibility (this one, particularly comical). All in anticipation that Harris was going to like the car.

Post review we now have folks typing that he's being 'sly' and not saying what he really thinks of the car b/c that's the price he had to pay to get an early drive. Patronizing to PAG.

This all on the heels of folks crawling up AP's skirt and resorting to sophomoric namecalling.

But I fear you haven't seen it all. The foo are going to turn on you too once you get something in print. But I hope I'm wrong.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:51 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Thanks Pete, and great to hear the vote of confidence about the new car (aside from the PDK only issue).

As for cynicism of Harris, you see, he was set up. You can find posts on this board *before* this review criticizing him for selling off his 4.0 for the fiat, questioning whether he's a true enthusiast, and questioning his fiscal responsibility (this one, particularly comical). All in anticipation that Harris was going to like the car.

Post review we now have folks typing that he's being 'sly' and not saying what he really thinks of the car b/c that's the price he had to pay to get an early drive. Patronizing to PAG.

This all on the heels of folks crawling up AP's skirt and resorting to sophomoric namecalling.

But I fear you haven't seen it all. The foo are going to turn on you too once you get something in print. But I hope I'm wrong.
I hope you're wrong too!

As far as I'm concerned, the journalists invited to this represented a gutsy move on Porsche's part: They're known for calling it like they see it, and they know the previous (excellent) cars intimately. They also know the target market well—both in terms of studying it and in actually knowing a lot of the customers, often on a personal level.

If the car was a bust, I assure you...you would've heard as much from CH. And me.

So while the overall take went very, very well for PAG—and AP's team more than earned the high praise—the verdict re: the decision not to offer a manual was unanimous: We all pined for three pedals, even if we recognized that Porsche will likely find more buyers with the 991 GT3 than it did with the 997s. Hence my one qualification. For those open to PDK, the new GT3 is an incredible car.

But, without the option of a manual, I'm afraid the GT3 has fallen off my personal dream car list. It's been an interesting matter for me to ponder, both from a professional and a personal/philosophical standpoint...and I agree with Chris that there must be some separation of the two.

pete
Old 06-13-2013, 03:05 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,886 Likes on 2,228 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
What's top speed at redline in 2nd? I'm sure it's over 60 mph and that's a "game over" ticket in most parts of the USA unless it's a freeway (what's the point?) I'm guessing 3rd gear winds out to more like 90-100 mph. That's very close to "book 'em, Danno" territory. So, no, you really don't get to drive a GT3 of any vintage on the road and use its potential much at all. One lap of a track and it's painfully clear that the car is woefully restricted on the road -- whether it's the law or common sense -- you literally can't get out of 2nd gear without being homicidal if you're using the full breath of the engine.
So true. I don't get the idea of buying this car for road-only use. But to each his own.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:17 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 340 Likes on 209 Posts

I hope you're wrong too!

As far as I'm concerned, the journalists invited to this represented a gutsy move on Porsche's part: They're known for calling it like they see it, and they know the previous (excellent) cars intimately. They also know the target market well—both in terms of studying it and in actually knowing a lot of the customers, often on a personal level.

If the car was a bust, I assure you...you would've heard as much from CH. And me.

So while the overall take went very, very well for PAG—and AP's team more than earned the high praise—the verdict re: the decision not to offer a manual was unanimous: We all pined for three pedals, even if we recognized that Porsche will likely find more buyers with the 991 GT3 than it did with the 997s. Hence my one qualification. For those open to PDK, the new GT3 is an incredible car.

But, without the option of a manual, I'm afraid the GT3 has fallen off my personal dream car list. It's been an interesting matter for me to ponder, both from a professional and a personal/philosophical standpoint...and I agree with Chris that there must be some separation of the two.

pete
I wish I had your writing talent,but you've expressed exactly my feelings!

Old 06-13-2013, 03:19 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,740 Likes on 2,702 Posts

My point is that the redline is going to be higher and more accessible on the road than in any previous GT3. If that's still too high a speed to be reasonable, then so be it. In some parts of the world (and in this country), I think there will be decent opportunities to exercise the car without committing mass murder. Is the track more appropriate? Sure it is.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:22 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
So true. I don't get the idea of buying this car for road-only use. But to each his own.
I see your point and mostly agree. But at least from the standpoint of performance that you can't really use, the same is true of dozens of other performance cars that are perfectly viable for street use but which have limits that far exceed anyone's ability to rationally approach them, except on track. As you say, TEHO.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:29 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,740 Likes on 2,702 Posts

I hope you're wrong too!

pete
Hi Pete - CH seemed to suggest that the new steering is by far the best electric one made, but I detected a suggestion that it is still filtered compared to the hydraulic type. Could you offer your impression there?

What is your best guess about manual tranny versions being offered in the future?

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2013, 03:40 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kosmo
i wonder if the steering ratio is different vs the Carrera?
I read the hardware is all the same (rack, geometry) but the software is different and the suspension geometry is different (so technically, the steering geometry is altered, too) but the quality of feel, precision and feedback is "greatly improved." Every time I drive the 991S, I find it hard to believe it's a software thing alone, but numb steering isn't going to deter me from at least owning and driving the 991 GT3 long enough to decide whether it's what I want as a track day car.

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Re: the club sport option, not that it's a good reason, but to the best of my knowledge Porsche have never made the club sport option available here for any of it's GT cars....
The 996 GT3 was "denied" the bolt-in cage because of DOT crash testing regulations that prohibited cages for some reason or other. My vague recollection is a specific exclusion of any modification that changed the cabin and any exposed solid surface within the cabin constituted some sort of "survivability" rating failure.

There's been some threads on cages and the club sport pack, the seats, the fire ex, side and thorax airbags. It's all pretty gray stuff, but the bottom line is clear enough: modifications can be a liability when it comes to insurance, and a "safer" car in practical terms is not viewed as safer by the bureaucrats and the insurance racketeers.
Unless your going to wear a helmet when picking up some milk in a gt3 I'd rather NOT have a roll cage to bang my head on in case of accident.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:57 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pete
Understood. From how Chris H presented the car in his review, I get the sense that he shares your opinion. A sports car has to tick all the right boxes to be compelling enough on which to spend all your hard earned duckets; for you and perhaps the most vocal on this board, a manual is required. I think Chris' description of the checkout lady who crushed the keyboard at each checkout, then was relegated to a product scanner, is spot on. Great analogy.

If I'm wrong and grow tired of the auto in the following months of ownership, I'll sell it off while the market is still buzzing for the car.

OTOH some have said that the auto manuals in the Stradale, Scud, 458 and soon the 458 Scud, in part, define these cars. The auto manual is so integrated in the engineering of these cars that somehow a 6 speed gated shifter would be inappropriate. I wonder if here it's the same thing with the 991 GT3.

Quick Reply: Chris Harris drives the 991 GT3