Sponsored by:

Chris Harris drives the 991 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 09:00 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony007
They better offer a DCT if they know what's good for them. GM is letting themselves get blown away by the competition.

Disclaimer: current ZR1 owner
I'd rather they keep the 6 speed

Disclaimer: current ZR1 owner (as is Quikag)
Old 06-15-2013, 09:39 PM
JRRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
I'd rather they keep the 6 speed

Disclaimer: current ZR1 owner (as is Quikag)
+1000

There will be more respect from true car people if they keep the 6 speed as the only option.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:19 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This video is a CRIME SHAME! I do not care what Harris owned or how popular he is.

"Wow, it accelerates so much faster" Great, but you did NOT make it happen, the computer made it happen for you!

"Wow, the turn in is so great, unlike the 997 GT3" Yeah, the computer made it happen with its RWS etc.

"You do not even notice RWD is there" Great, but IT IS there, that is the computer for you, it makes you a better driver even if you do not deserve it.

In my book, you either fight the car and learn how to drive it or forget it! I do not care how ARTIFICIALLY good the car is, especially something like GT3 (or the upcoming GT2, which will be full of nannies as well). These cars where known as honest and unforgiving driving machines, when the driver was one on one with the car and had to respect and learn it or become a victim of these Widowmakers.

These days no learning is necessary, just let the computers do it for you, while you imagine yourself being a great driver. You may be fast, but in my book you are a sissy. And do not mention F1, because that is business and entertainment, with huge piles of money at stake. We are talking here about street cars for normal people.

Automotive industry CONVINCES buyers to get a PDK, DSG or whatever the robotized autobox is called. There is NO CHOICE. 80-90% of people buying automatics? Sure! Do you have manual cars for test drive at dealers? Do dealers converse with you on the pros and cons of auto vs manual? Do they even suggest you to try a manual just to see if that is more to your liking? NO! They are pushing company line, as they are asked. Just read any internal documents that are sent by manufacturers to dealers.

Moreover, manufacturers try to wean customers off the manual transmissions by producing crappy ones! Example, Porsche 7-gear dreary box compared to good old 6-speed, Mitsubishi putting robot in the Evo and disgusting 5(!)-speed manuals in lesser models, while they already had tried-and-true 6-speed from previous EVOs. And when did you last have a great manual from BMW?

Forget it! I do not care what Harris says, he's gone soft maybe, or just likes to switch, no real preference for anything, try this, try that, everything is good, whatever. Maybe he is just scared to come out and say "the DPK in GT3 is blasphemy" because Porsche will not let him test anything after that. Who knows. I do not care. I know what I want, and that is a good ole manual 6-speed gearbox, short throw, click-click-click, super precision shift action with perfect RPM-balanced shifting points. I will be slower than PDK, I will be making mistakes, I will unsettle the car in the corner (when did this become a bad thing in a sports car, pray tell me?), but I will do it ON MY OWN and I will LEARN something.

The guys here who go "OMG, Harris loved the PDK and RWS and electic steering rack! You see, this car is fantastic, the manual is crap, bla bla bla" only produce a sneer from me. Enjoy your computerized future, I stick with my DIY past.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:59 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I have to say I completely dig the BBi. I know it's from the terrible old "kit car" Ferrari days, but it's just about a flawless image of Ferrari road cars in my humble. Definitely deserves the "living room garage" idea. I'm in the process of building one myself ... floor to ceiling glass nanowall doors with an over-wide space for two 911's to be within a few feet of the desk at my home office. I think people who just put a model of their car on their desk aren't taking the sport seriously.
If I had the money to do a room conversion like this I would not be able to sit on the couch, I would go sit in the car all the time, sit, get out, sit, touch, get out. Then I would want to drive it also. No, I would not be able to handle this. I put a little model on my desk instead, even that is too much, as I just want to drive all the time.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:12 AM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NoPasaran
This video is a CRIME SHAME! I do not care what Harris owned or how popular he is.

"Wow, it accelerates so much faster" Great, but you did NOT make it happen, the computer made it happen for you!

"Wow, the turn in is so great, unlike the 997 GT3" Yeah, the computer made it happen with its RWS etc.

"You do not even notice RWD is there" Great, but IT IS there, that is the computer for you, it makes you a better driver even if you do not deserve it.

In my book, you either fight the car and learn how to drive it or forget it! I do not care how ARTIFICIALLY good the car is, especially something like GT3 (or the upcoming GT2, which will be full of nannies as well). These cars where known as honest and unforgiving driving machines, when the driver was one on one with the car and had to respect and learn it or become a victim of these Widowmakers.

These days no learning is necessary, just let the computers do it for you, while you imagine yourself being a great driver. You may be fast, but in my book you are a sissy. And do not mention F1, because that is business and entertainment, with huge piles of money at stake. We are talking here about street cars for normal people.

Automotive industry CONVINCES buyers to get a PDK, DSG or whatever the robotized autobox is called. There is NO CHOICE. 80-90% of people buying automatics? Sure! Do you have manual cars for test drive at dealers? Do dealers converse with you on the pros and cons of auto vs manual? Do they even suggest you to try a manual just to see if that is more to your liking? NO! They are pushing company line, as they are asked. Just read any internal documents that are sent by manufacturers to dealers.

Moreover, manufacturers try to wean customers off the manual transmissions by producing crappy ones! Example, Porsche 7-gear dreary box compared to good old 6-speed, Mitsubishi putting robot in the Evo and disgusting 5(!)-speed manuals in lesser models, while they already had tried-and-true 6-speed from previous EVOs. And when did you last have a great manual from BMW?

Forget it! I do not care what Harris says, he's gone soft maybe, or just likes to switch, no real preference for anything, try this, try that, everything is good, whatever. Maybe he is just scared to come out and say "the DPK in GT3 is blasphemy" because Porsche will not let him test anything after that. Who knows. I do not care. I know what I want, and that is a good ole manual 6-speed gearbox, short throw, click-click-click, super precision shift action with perfect RPM-balanced shifting points. I will be slower than PDK, I will be making mistakes, I will unsettle the car in the corner (when did this become a bad thing in a sports car, pray tell me?), but I will do it ON MY OWN and I will LEARN something.

The guys here who go "OMG, Harris loved the PDK and RWS and electic steering rack! You see, this car is fantastic, the manual is crap, bla bla bla" only produce a sneer from me. Enjoy your computerized future, I stick with my DIY past.
Look, mate... I agree with you. But calm down. You only undermine your own argument with the hate.

By your argument, every single development in the automotive world - ABS, power steering (hydraulic, not electric), the G-50 gearbox, even indicators, ignitions, fuel injection if we go far enough back - they're all bad. They're not. I completely understand what Harris says when he talks about the test being whether or not the new tech (eg. RWS) is transparent or not. If you don't know it's there, fair enough. The gripe with the gearbox is that no matter how good it is, no matter how it objectively 'improves' the car, or makes the car faster, more fuel-efficient etc., there is no way to pretend it isn't there, as it reminds you of that fact every single time you change gear.

I want a manual too, but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater...
Old 06-16-2013, 10:26 AM
JRRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

AGREE!!!! 100%. Great post and don't tell him to calm down....true car guys are in it for the experience and don't want the computer doing the driving. Another reason I love my turbo 3.6...
Old 06-16-2013, 10:49 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,555 Likes on 2,588 Posts

I too agree with NoPasaran's sentiment, and my posts show that, but I think some of his claims are overstated. RWS is simply an adjustable wheelbase, a pretty clever idea and it doesn't mean the computer's driving the car. Similarly, much of this car's better handling is simply due to 991's platform, with its longer wheelbase, wider front track, revised weight distribution, etc. You can easily see the advantages of this when comparing a base 991 (no PDCC, PTV, PASM, etc.) with a base 997. Let's not let our lament over the passing of the rawer 997 distort the facts about the real advances the 991 offers. And CH is very clear about how sad he is about manual not being offered in the 991 GT3.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:55 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nopasaran,
Why would you EVER be in the market for a new car? Everything you bitch about is easily avoided by many generations of previous cars. They are, for practical purposes, limitless in variety and supply. For some reason there are a lot of people with this same illogical attitude. The fact that the newest car from Porsche is PDK only, does not eliminate the MT from every prior GT3. The fact of RWS in the latest car, does not implement RWS on any previous generation. Your "arguments" leave me wondering...
Old 06-16-2013, 01:00 PM
frayed
Race Car

Whoa, what a meltdown. In BLUE nonetheless.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:07 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm curious as to what cars you currently drive and do any of them have any modern technology that improves your driving experience ??

Originally Posted by JRossRSA
AGREE!!!! 100%. Great post and don't tell him to calm down....true car guys are in it for the experience and don't want the computer doing the driving. Another reason I love my turbo 3.6...
I consider myself a "true" car guy and have a GT3 on order. Do I get my "car guy" card confiscated ??

Seriously guys, get over yourselves....To each his own and enjoy whatever you choose to drive...

Old 06-16-2013, 01:15 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,687 Likes on 785 Posts

Originally Posted by StatmanDesigns
Nopasaran,
Why would you EVER be in the market for a new car? Everything you bitch about is easily avoided by many generations of previous cars. They are, for practical purposes, limitless in variety and supply. For some reason there are a lot of people with this same illogical attitude. The fact that the newest car from Porsche is PDK only, does not eliminate the MT from every prior GT3. The fact of RWS in the latest car, does not implement RWS on any previous generation. Your "arguments" leave me wondering...
Warranty?
We have a few years of CPO 997's left but after that?
Vipers, Corvettes, caymans or learn to left foot brake in digital cars...

Kone killer, no!
I dont want to get over it. I want a new warrantied, lighter, mostly CF, faster, better manual old fashioned screamer thats different from the digital spreadsheet winning cars.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:13 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Warranty?
We have a few years of CPO 997's left but after that?
Vipers, Corvettes, caymans or learn to left foot brake in digital cars...
That's it? Warranty? Interesting, so it is purely a potential large repair decision? Hmmm, who woulda thought that the decision to purchase a $160K+ car would be a money savings argument. As far as I can tell every single used car in every single market has taken the existence or non-existence of a warranty into its current market price.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:21 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,687 Likes on 785 Posts

The real cost of ownership is depreciation and non warranty repairs.
That's what made the GT3's such a bargain since 2004....
Old 06-16-2013, 02:41 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony007
They better offer a DCT if they know what's good for them. GM is letting themselves get blown away by the competition.

Disclaimer: current ZR1 owner
Blown away how and by what? Please elaborate.

Last I checked there is hardly anything faster, maybe an ACR, and some exotics. Even the new Viper needed a second test to barely nudge it out at Laguna Seca.

Just because you may not be able to drive it fast does not mean it's getting blown away.

GM is headed in the right direction. And most definitely near if not at the top of the pack. And imagine, no real extruding or active aero like Porsche, SRT, NISSAN, Gumpert, Mosler, Lambo, Mclaren or anything else in the ballpark.

What were you saying again?
Old 06-16-2013, 02:51 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Conekilr
I consider myself a "true" car guy and have a GT3 on order. Do I get my "car guy" card confiscated ??

Seriously guys, get over yourselves....To each his own and enjoy whatever you choose to drive...
This, in spades.....

Quick Reply: Chris Harris drives the 991 GT3