Sponsored by:

991.2 gt3 options

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 05:22 PM
ditdr
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991.2 gt3 options

Hey all, New to rennlist but have lurked in the shadows and gathered a lot of useful information! I was informed that I am near the top of the list for the next round of 991.2 gt3 allocations @msrp. Which means I likely will be getting a car (I'm optimistic). I submitted my build and have a few questions about options I selected but am second guessing. So I would like some insight as to what I should consider (I'm truly undecided and hoping for different feedback). I have budgeted up to 170k for the car and would prefer as much leftover as possible for (rollcage, clear corner lights, xpel etc)

Here is my build http://www.porsche-code.com/PJLABHI7

No pccb's because I hate yellow on a red car!

Red stitched interior:
Its about 5k, On a red car looks fantastic and really adds to the interior without being over done in my opinion, however I cannot get over the aluminum colored door pull trim and the door release lever. These really bother me, even more so with the red stitching than with the grey. (since grey and aluminum are close enough it matches, well sort of) Essentially I would have black, red and aluminum color in my interior which while not terrible it looks weird. I originally wanted carbon fiber interior but it looks too busy and adds a fourth dimension of color which looks like an afterthought in my opinion. So I wanted to forego the entire interior upgrade and save the 5k. The rubber dash doesn't really bother me, this is a race car after all. But 5k is not terribly expensive relative to the car? I did opt for the leather wrapped cup holder and console trim as this already matches the other materials on the dash.

Front axle lift:
Don't wanna stir up the old debate, I haven't scraped my gt4 lip at all, plus the 2600 buys a lot of front lips if necessary, resale improves with it but i'll likely be buried in this car. Anything I'm missing here?

Bose surround sound:
1600$ While I enjoy my music I understand the gt3 is a loud car and likely the upgrade won't be as noticeable, unless sitting in traffic or something. As a parenthetical remark, My gt4 engine with cdr31 drowns out most audio tracks and the base radio doesn't sound terrible, But the option is relatively cheap. So there's that as well.

Basically within my budget i'd rather spend the "creature comfort upgrades" money on pccb's and hope I can get caliper color changed or something. I'm at a loss any help will be truly appreciated especially insight from .1 owners! Thanks for your time!
Old 07-16-2017, 05:51 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,354 Likes on 825 Posts

If you are iffy on the options than don't get'em. No need to max out the budget. Put the savings towards track time and incidentals like alignment, tires, etc.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:02 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

How often will you be tracking?
So you want PCCB's but not the yellow calipers?
why not just get the steels and replace with AP j hooks and Ferodo ds1.11 when you wear out the stock set.
get red stitching and red roll bar--will look sharp on GR -- my GT4 looks great with the deviated stitch
Old 07-16-2017, 06:17 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Sounds like you want a stripper? Plenty of people do it, build to your liking.

The one deal breaker for me is the rubber dash... No way I could tolerate that in a $150K plus car.

Go leather dash, red stitching and ditch the rest imo.

I went back and forth on carbon fiber interior, anthracite aluminum, or standard aluminum.

But decided with carbon fiber LWB's, i carbon fiber trim compliments nicely, along with carbon fiber stills.

If you go standard aluminum, do the aluminum sills and that will go well too.

Good luck, you'll have plenty more "second thoughts" over the next few months...

I'm glad my Euro Delivery build is locked, because all the second guessing was killing me too!. Now it's just the wait!

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 07-16-2017, 07:19 PM
ditdr
Track Day

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
How often will you be tracking?
So you want PCCB's but not the yellow calipers?
why not just get the steels and replace with AP j hooks and Ferodo ds1.11 when you wear out the stock set.
get red stitching and red roll bar--will look sharp on GR -- my GT4 looks great with the deviated stitch
Car may see the track once a year!

I spec'd the car with steels, the only reason I would want pccb's was due to low brake dust, and if i could fall into the window where i could change the caliper color to red i'd get them just to be cool . What i meant was I am the type where I would rather spend 10k on a performance feature rather than "creature comfort's" sorry i should have been more clear.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:34 PM
ditdr
Track Day

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
Sounds like you want a stripper? Plenty of people do it, build to your liking.

The one deal breaker for me is the rubber dash... No way I could tolerate that in a $150K plus car.

Go leather dash, red stitching and ditch the rest imo.

I went back and forth on carbon fiber interior, anthracite aluminum, or standard aluminum.

But decided with carbon fiber LWB's, i carbon fiber trim compliments nicely, along with carbon fiber stills.

If you go standard aluminum, do the aluminum sills and that will go well too.

Good luck, you'll have plenty more "second thoughts" over the next few months...

I'm glad my Euro Delivery build is locked, because all the second guessing was killing me too!. Now it's just the wait!

Best Regards,
Dave

Yeah that's what I'm finding out! I was going to do the leather wrapped dash but it requires the upgraded alcantara package so won't really help my dilemma. The problem is I fell in love with guards red since my gt4. And red exterior doesn't go so well with standard aluminum in my opinion. Although if i did do chalk...
Old 07-16-2017, 08:34 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Originally Posted by ditdr
Yeah that's what I'm finding out! I was going to do the leather wrapped dash but it requires the upgraded alcantara package so won't really help my dilemma. The problem is I fell in love with guards red since my gt4. And red exterior doesn't go so well with standard aluminum in my opinion. Although if i did do chalk...
I love chalk... But $4k for a non metallic color was a deal killer for me.

There are two levels of leather dash, I didn't think the first level required that?. Just having the front portion in leather looks sharp top me.

Best regards,
Dave
Old 07-16-2017, 08:40 PM
ditdr
Track Day

I love chalk... But $4k for a non metallic color was a deal killer for me.

There are two levels of leather dash, I didn't think the first level required that?. Just having the front portion in leather looks sharp top me.

Best regards,
Dave
Same for me 4k is a lot for paint! Apparently it does now according to the configurator. I decided on the upgraded alcantara package with red stitching, I'm ditching the front axle lift. For now lol! Just a matter of accents for now! Would you mind telling me about your build choices?
Old 07-16-2017, 10:45 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Sure:
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2FZ756
Old 07-16-2017, 10:49 PM
ditdr
Track Day

Awesome build!
Old 07-16-2017, 11:42 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Originally Posted by ditdr
Awesome build!
Thanks!

I'm sure you'll be making plenty of modifications to yours over the coming months!

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 07-16-2017, 11:46 PM
ditdr
Track Day

Thanks!

I'm sure you'll be making plenty of modifications to yours over the coming months!

Best Regards,
Dave
Unfortunately or perhaps fortunately, it's going to be an ongoing process! Thanks for your input and the warm welcome!
Old 07-16-2017, 11:57 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I would spend the $720 on the autodim rear view mirrors. My build is below in my sig, my allocation is another story. Lol.

On the interior, the leather interior option on a GT3 is different than on other models. It adds a lot of alcantara and not that much leather. If you click on the configurator description it lays it all out, but the door coves, a and b pillar and lower dash all come in alcantara. All you really get in leather are the door tops and the dash. You can't get just the dash without the base leather package. Well CXX you can get a lot of things, but not at a reasonable cost or timeline.

As a result, I would skip the upgrade and go with the basic interior as I don't much care for alcantara and definitely do not want red stitching (I would pay extra for black if it becomes available as on a GT2RS -- which also has the door pulls and door handle trim near the speaker in black). I also think the leather dash and console trim will add some lux to a non-leather dash so I specced that too.

Last edited by evilfij; 07-17-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:11 AM
ditdr
Track Day

Originally Posted by evilfij
I would spend the $720 on the autodim rear view mirrors. My build is below in my sig, my allocation is another story. Lol.

On true interior, the leather interior option on a GT3 is different than on other models. It adds a lot of alcantara and not that much leather. If you click on the configurator description it lays it all out, but the door coves, a and b pillar and lower dash all come in alcantara. All you really get in leather are the door tops, the dash, and the airbag.

As a result, I would skip the upgrade and go with the basic interior as I don't much care for alcantara and definitely do not want red stitching (I would pay extra for black if it becomes available as on a GT2RS -- which also has the door pulls and door handle trim near the speaker in black). I also think the leather dash and console trim will add some lux to a non-leather dash so I specced that too.
I'm hoping that when I get to actually place my order more options may come available like with the gt4! It's my opinion that having so many different colors is kind of an eyesore, I wish we could simply get black everything! I specced the leather cup holder console trim etc, because it matches the dash/seat leather as well, plus its free and does not add another color to the interior! I'm thinking basic interior and put that 4k towards pccbs instead and hope I can get red calipers with it! The grey doesn't look bad but the seat stripe is kind of in your face, again just my opinion! My gt4 has red everything and it looks spectacular! Every bell and whistle I would consider adds 6k to the car, not a lot relatively but that's about the cost of a cage and xpel! I just don't want to regret my decisions! Luckily I have many months to dwell! Thanks for your help and cool build by the way!
Old 07-17-2017, 12:35 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Thanks.

What I am planning on doing about the stripe is to remove the stock centers from the LWBs (I am told they Velcro in) to store them and have new ones custom made in natural black leather. It should be cheap (in Porsche terms anyway). I also plan to replace the stock center console armrest with a leather take off from someone who upgraded to the raised one (or just buy a new one) and store that too. Basically poor man's alcantara [almost] delete. If I can convince the dealer to sell me leather parts for the door panel and the GT2RS black speaker trim and door pulls I will do that too (saving all the stock parts to preserve them).

I agree, I hope more options become available.

Quick Reply: 991.2 gt3 options