991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blowing out our 911R

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 06:14 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,503 Likes on 2,561 Posts

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
The R feels very different to a GT3 or GT3 RS. The steering is much lighter, and thanks to a programme for the active rear-wheel steering, it feels faster, too. It’s super alert and almost nervous at first, while the ride is also more supple and the sense of locked-down invincibility is gone. Instead, the 911 R flows and bobs over the surface, with more of an old-school 911 vibe to it. You feel the peculiar weight distribution more keenly.
All valid reasons to prefer the R over other options, and pay something extra for it - just not a lot extra.

People who think the R is the last modern 911 to have this type of tuning should recognize that Porsche can choose to do it again in future cars.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:16 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
All valid reasons to prefer the R over other options, and pay something extra for it - just not a lot extra.

People who think the R is the last modern 911 to have this type of tuning should recognize that Porsche can choose to do it again in future cars.

It's basic software. A cousin of power steering plus

Program any GT3 or RS with it and you've got the same thing. Some hack should be able to figure it out

After all, BGB put a 6 speed tranny in a RS and did all the programming!
Old 07-07-2017, 06:27 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

The R feels very different to a GT3 or GT3 RS. The steering is much lighter, and thanks to a programme for the active rear-wheel steering, it feels faster, too. It’s super alert and almost nervous at first, while the ride is also more supple and the sense of locked-down invincibility is gone. Instead, the 911 R flows and bobs over the surface, with more of an old-school 911 vibe to it. You feel the peculiar weight distribution more keenly.
The new Spider-man movie used some cool special effects software too.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:29 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG
It's basic software. A cousin of power steering plus

Program any GT3 or RS with it and you've got the same thing. Some hack should be able to figure it out

After all, BGB put a 6 speed tranny in a RS and did all the programming!
Not just the steering though, it's also the damping and RWS tuning, and maybe other things too, all working as an integrated system. I think it's difficult for an aftermarket shop to come close to Porsche's expertise and resources for this type of tuning.

That's a win-win situation because we get cars that rival or surpass much more expensive exotics, while Porsche makes a healthy profit. The world would be a lesser place if Porsche didn't exist!
Old 07-07-2017, 06:39 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Manifold
Not just the steering though, it's also the damping and RWS tuning, and maybe other things too, all working as an integrated system. I think it's difficult for an aftermarket shop to come close to Porsche's expertise and resources for this type of tuning.

That's a win-win situation because we get cars that rival or surpass much more expensive exotics, while Porsche makes a healthy profit. The world would be a lesser place if Porsche didn't exist!

I think what it actually is wouldn't be surprising. I bet it's all software related and some minor tweaks.

Have anybody look into the part #'s by VIN between the R and RS, and you'll be hard pressed to find anything related to these areas.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:41 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
GTFO here, nobody could ever prefer the R over a GT3 or RS! Are you insane?! I mean, wing. Don't you get it?!

Seriously, the funny thing about this thread is that, everybody, save for maybe the OP, agrees that the R's currently for sale are ridiculously overpriced. The debate is whether it's worth any premium over sticker or whether it's basically a C2S with more HP. I'm with you, though not quite as high. The R is probably the only car I'd pay a premium over sticker for, but it would still be pretty small, $20-25k max, assuming it was my perfect spec. But I don't think it's going to trade in that range for a long, long time, assuming we're not in WW III shortly, which looks more likely by the day.
Holy poor reading comprehension Batman.

I don't think in any of the 17 pages of this thread I've seen the 911 R seriously compared to a C2S let alone that being anything related to what this thread is about at all. This thread has never been about whether it's worth "any" premium over MSRP but whether it's been worth a 200k premium. Most of us clearly think it is as evidenced by people making what are semi-serious to serious offers to the seller of 250k that it's worth some premium in that range. I wouldn't be surprised if you could sell one for low to mid 300's to "someone" out there "somewhere" right now but I think prices are only on the way down as the 991.2 GT3 & RS productions ramp up.

Now you're telling us that you think it's only worth a small premium too?

So basically you've agreed with us since the beginning?

Honestly, I wish someone would compile the posts you've made in this thread -- I'm too lazy.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:57 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG
I think what it actually is wouldn't be surprising. I bet it's all software related and some minor tweaks.

Have anybody look into the part #'s by VIN between the R and RS, and you'll be hard pressed to find anything related to these areas.
I do suspect that it's mainly or entirely software - which means the cost for Porsche is negligible - but like a master chef, it still takes unusual expertise to bring the tuning to a level where people salivate over it.

From that standpoint, I disagree with the statement that a car is just the sum of its parts, just as a fine gourmet meal isn't just the sum of its ingredients.

We must concede that the recipe for the R is unique and that it was created by master chefs, even if we don't think the resulting entrée justifies being double or triple the price of other entrées which many people consider to be just as appealing.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:10 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,103 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
What point can't many understand here??

The 911R is a great model.

Many don't believe it's worth what they're going for on the secondary market. At MSRP, it's attractive.

It's a valid opinion isn't it?

Much of the other stuff is entertainment. Nobody have a sense of humor?
No because it's worth what it's going for; not what you think it should go for. And by the way, i don't even like the R.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:10 PM
STG
Race Director

911R = Porsche marketing at its best

How many unique parts does it have other than a rear grille and numbered badge?

Porsche is very good at Pixie Dust marketing. It's quite genius.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:12 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
No because it's worth what it's going for; not what you think it should go for. And by the way, i don't even like the R.

I could care less what they're asking for one or what someone is willing to pay for it. It's their money. Just stating my opinion on what I personally think it's worth and where it's going.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:13 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,103 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
I could care less what they're asking for one or what someone is willing to pay for it. It's their money. Just stating my opinion on what I personally think it's worth and where it's going.
We can agree on one thing: you've said some funny and entertaining stuff on this thread. That's a compliment.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:25 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
The new Spider-man movie used some cool special effects software too.
Cool story.

Just like your man Jethro Bovingdon, whose quote it was that I used.
That was when "The outrageously addictive Porsche 911 R lives up to all the hype" according to his review. Before he needed some cheap publicity.

Just shows that car journalists seek controversy and page views - who would have thought?

I'm bowing out of this thread now. No-one as far as I can see (since the OP), is trying to talk up the value of the R. Just its attributes, which I maintain are worthy of the hype. Two separate issues. There are multiple people I know who own and are driving R's, because that's what they are for, and we own them because we've done the same with similar cars for years.

Some of you seem determined to spend time talking down values and other people's cars, and can't separate the issues.

Here's Jethro B's full review, to save you having to google.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsche...-r-2016-review
Old 07-07-2017, 07:25 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
We can agree on one thing: you've said some funny and entertaining stuff on this thread. That's a compliment.

Thanks, the subject has been beat to death for me. I am out of here. Have a good weekend
Old 07-07-2017, 07:33 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Cool story.

Just like your man Jethro Bovingdon, whose quote it was that I used.
That was when "The outrageously addictive Porsche 911 R lives up to all the hype" according to his review. Before he needed some cheap publicity.

Just shows that car journalists seek controversy and page views - who would have thought?

I'm bowing out of this thread now. No-one as far as I can see (since the OP), is trying to talk up the value of the R. Just its attributes, which I maintain are worthy of the hype. Two separate issues. There are multiple people I know who own and are driving R's, because that's what they are for, and we own them because we've done the same with similar cars for years.

Some of you seem determined to spend time talking down values and other people's cars, and can't separate the issues.

Here's Jethro T's full review, to save you having to google.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsche...-r-2016-review

I'm sure the R did live up to its hype as a ~200k vehicle. No doubt that's how he reviewed it when he made the video you posted.

Why would I need to review his old video to think he liked the car and it was worth the hype at 200k -- I do too?

It's almost like all the guys that originally got the 911 R flipped it to make a fantastic deal and the guys that got bent over paying the ADM or (AFM) are fighting tooth and nail to tell the rest of us how wrong we are

Show me the video where he tells people to go out and pay double the MSRP and you might have something I'm interested in reviewing

No-one as far as I can see (since the OP), is trying to talk up the value of the R. Just its attributes, which I maintain are worthy of the hype. Two separate issues.
Not really. It's actually a directly related issue. The "hype" directly relates to the demand which directly relates to the price and the "hype" supporting the crazy valuations is leaving the room now that the subjectively superior car is available at ~50% of the selling price.

Show me where the people in this thread are saying the R isn't worth MSRP or even a reasonable premium above it? Did a single person say that?

Last edited by destaccado; 07-07-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:08 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

After you have time to Google it, can you get back to me and let me know what the R's really like.
It would be great to find out properly...

I've been following this thread and kind of find it amusing.

A few comments:

Footsoldier I applaud you for driving your R and enjoying it - A 1.63 G's is absolutely impressive to me for a street car.

Brewster Green was an awesome choice and the way you spec'ed the car was classy, a beautiful example.

Enjoy that beautiful car in good health.

Quick Reply: Blowing out our 911R