Sponsored by:

Am I Nuts for buying a Demon

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017 | 12:30 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dewinator
some people get excited about a Prius.

There's some of those on this forum too ..
Old 06-27-2017 | 12:56 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by STG
There's some of those on this forum too ..
Nobody ever accused a Prius driver of having tiny hands! I wonder if the Demon has the smallest steering wheel ever fitted to a production car to "save weight"?
Old 06-27-2017 | 01:41 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Not my cup of tea but cool none the less. Enjoy it!
Old 06-27-2017 | 02:20 PM
Snakebit10
Advanced

Sheesh guys...Its a car that will blow the doors off anything in a straight line (1/4 mile) from the major mfg's save maybe the hyper cars (mph-wise). First of its kind makes it special. Many mod their Porsches etc to try to be this fast. This thing comes from the factory stinking fast. 9's @ 140+mph and it still gets hated by some car dudes lolol.

Not my cup of tea but much respect to Dodge for the stones to build this car. They basically invented a niche. I don't expect any other mfg to follow suit but its a great addition to the automotive landscape imho. It would have been a great thing if Dodge kept the Viper around especially in ACR form. They would have been the kings of the strip and circuit track. Bad move killing the snake.
Old 06-27-2017 | 02:30 PM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

I'm buying futures on rear tires... You will probably get 2,000 miles or less. But Oh the fun you will have.

Awesome...
Old 06-27-2017 | 02:35 PM
longboarder
Pro

Originally Posted by Snakebit10
Sheesh guys...Its a car that will blow the doors off anything in a straight line (1/4 mile) from the major mfg's save maybe the hyper cars (mph-wise). First of its kind makes it special. Many mod their Porsches etc to try to be this fast. This thing comes from the factory stinking fast. 9's @ 140+mph and it still gets hated by some car dudes lolol.

Not my cup of tea but much respect to Dodge for the stones to build this car. They basically invented a niche. I don't expect any other mfg to follow suit but its a great addition to the automotive landscape imho. It would have been a great thing if Dodge kept the Viper around especially in ACR form. They would have been the kings of the strip and circuit track. Bad move killing the snake.

We have an unfortunate pattern setting up. The pattern is marketing hype and then owner disappointment with the Hellcat.

The Hellcat was marketed as the fastest thing on planet earth. And it turned out to be the slowest car at our 1/2 mile airstrip events, which provide a good indicator of how the car would perform on the street (no prepped surfaces). To get it to match the factory's claims it needed an act of God (on the DA) and a cool down of a couple hours between runs.

The Demon is now being advertised this way and I have a good feeling that owners are set up for another let down. I'm happy to oblige by racing (and filming) these things with my measly little bolt on Turbo S.
Old 06-27-2017 | 02:39 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Originally Posted by longboarder
We have an unfortunate pattern setting up. The pattern is marketing hype and then owner disappointment with the Hellcat.

The Hellcat was marketed as the fastest thing on planet earth. And it turned out to be the slowest car at our 1/2 mile airstrip events, which provide a good indicator of how the car would perform on the street (no prepped surfaces). To get it to match the factory's claims it needed an act of God (on the DA) and a cool down of a couple hours between runs.

The Demon is now being advertised this way and I have a good feeling that owners are set up for another let down. I'm happy to oblige by racing (and filming) these things with my measly little bolt on Turbo S.
Yep marketing genius. They will all sell at and over MSRP. In a year or two something else will be out and you will get this for far less. The speculators amaze me.
Old 06-27-2017 | 02:43 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by goin2drt
Yep marketing genius. They will all sell at and over MSRP. In a year or two something else will be out and you will get this for far less. The speculators amaze me.

Just like the GT formula. Porsche can't have the monopoly on it.

Name:  photo229.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  346.1 KB
Old 06-27-2017 | 02:44 PM
STG
Race Director

Old 06-27-2017 | 04:05 PM
robmypro
Race Director

I actually think the Demon would be an ideal addition to my stable of one GT3. Different experience, and would be a rush to jump on, take to the drags, C&C, whatever. Compliments a track weapon nicely IMO.

Share some pics and video.
Old 06-27-2017 | 06:31 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Very true, I just meant to point out why it doesn't excite me personally. Different cars for different folks, some people get excited about a Prius.
No. Prius never excited a human being. Not once.
Old 06-27-2017 | 06:58 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by Para82
You've obviously never heard of hypermilers. https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy...l-economy.html
Old 06-27-2017 | 07:00 PM
porscharu
Pro

Originally Posted by Para82
You might be surprised. People still buy Birkenstocks.
Old 06-27-2017 | 07:19 PM
Joe731
Racer

Default Demon vs 1/2 mile

Just to be clear, the Demon is not a 1/2 mile car, it's a 1/4 mile car and is geared accordingly, so I will not be surprised or disappointed if it loses lots of ground in the second half of a half mile race. I do expect that it will beat any other stock production car through the 1/4 mile as that is it's purpose. I like that it is focused on one goal that no other manufacturer has really tried to own and give Dodge props for building such a purpose-built car. As someone else said, they are creating their own niche. Also, the comment on the ACR Viper being faster in a 1/4 mile is not right -- the ACR Viper is not a 1/4 mile car, so it does 11.5 @ 127mph, which is unsurprisingly slower.

Similarly, I also own at 991 GT3RS and would not expect that to do very well against muscle cars in the quarter mile. I think it is 11.1 seconds at 125 mph, which is pretty fast, but not top of the heap, but I do expect it to go around VIR or WGI very quickly and it does. I have done a 2:01.64 at the Glen in the RS and I drive the snot out of it at the race track because that's where it is meant to live. It's not the fastest track car ever made, but it is really fast, reliable and fun.

In the end, we buy cars because they make us grin in a way that is hard to wipe off your face. That's why I bought the Demon. It makes me smile. I will post photos once it's built and arrives.

Thanks for all the supportive comments
Old 06-27-2017 | 08:25 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I love what Dodge is doing.

Porsche should offer us a propper track car with the bat**** crazy, "off road only" track parts in a box. Just like the Demon.

I love it, yes Joe nothing says crazynuts like a Demon

Quick Reply: Am I Nuts for buying a Demon