Sponsored by:

2017 LeMans

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 09:26 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
BTW - that comment was tongue in cheek but never mind.

And I know that - its a Cayman layout - its not a 911 layout - get over it (of course this won't stop Porsche marketing)

The results are the results Nizer - its a car, and its not winning - therefore they are not getting it right. The rules are the same for everyone and team Porsche is dead set last in WEC GT. The cars that are winning have more flexibility. Period.

Get your collective heads out of the sand. Confront the facts and deal with them.
This is great.

I reference the rule book and you admonish me to "get over it"

IMSA uses the same rule book. Same driver quality. Same great competition.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:48 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Interestingly the RSRs did not post the fastest laps. They had better execution. In fact the 912 had a short off road excursion and it cost them the win. These cars are so tightly grouped that any mishap will set a car back and basically leave it with no chance of winning. The RSR almost won Daytons. Should have won a couple of other races but for punctures. The small weight reduction and minute breathing increase this weekend made for a great difference in the cars ability to just take off and hide.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:16 AM
Guest89
Drifting

The inclusion of Gimmi Bruni will be beneficial over time, I believe. Widely considered the "best" GT driver in the world.

I also think Patrick Pilet has been very strong this year; he was a bit in Nick Tandy's shadow the past few years. But who wouldn't be?
Old 07-24-2017, 04:21 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
This is great.

I reference the rule book and you admonish me to "get over it"

IMSA uses the same rule book. Same driver quality. Same great competition.
Doesn't change a thing:

Porsche last in WEC GT.

WEC GT current leader Ferrari
IMSA current leader GTLM Chevrolet
IMSA current leader GTD Ferrari

I'm pretty sure Porsche wouldn't be happy with a participation award. The rules aren't the problem, they apply to every team.

Time waits for no man and torque is cheap................................................................(or can be)

Last edited by randr; 07-24-2017 at 05:01 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:23 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by randr
Doesn't change a thing:

Porsche last in WEC GT.

WEC GT current leader Ferrari
IMSA current leader GTLM Chevrolet
IMSA current leader GTD Ferrari

I'm pretty sure Porsche wouldn't be happy with a participation award. The rules aren't the problem, they apply to every team.

Time waits for no man and torque is cheap................................................................(or can be)
They have the only new car this year; teething troubles are to be expected.

They have been quite quick with the RSR at every race in July (Watkins Glen, Mosport, Nurburgring, Lime Rock)

The GT3 R (GTD) car is a disappointment; its characteristics don't suit gentlemen drivers.

Btw did you happen to notice that Porsche won the 24 hours of Le Mans (again) and the 6H Nurburgring (again) recently? Unlike any of the other manufacturers you mentioned earlier.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:55 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,875 Likes on 970 Posts

The inclusion of Gimmi Bruni will be beneficial over time, I believe. Widely considered the "best" GT driver in the world.
He showed it. Walked away from the field on the start and was consistently more aggressive than anyone else through the downhill.

The GT3 R (GTD) car is a disappointment; its characteristics don't suit gentlemen drivers.
And yet it's leading Pirelli World Challenge Series. Almost makes one think the regulations play a bigger role than the car......
Old 07-25-2017, 01:39 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nizer
He showed it. Walked away from the field on the start and was consistently more aggressive than anyone else through the downhill.

And yet it's leading Pirelli World Challenge Series. Almost makes one think the regulations play a bigger role than the car......
Pirelli is fine, but it's glorified club racing in reality.

There is no way that anyone can argue with a straight face that Pirelli has greater competition, fan engagement, sponsorship activation, TV audience (lol), and - yes - prestige than IMSA. If you win PWC do you get to go to Le Mans?

PWC allows kit cars and other questionable "manufacturers" like Panoz.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:12 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Pirelli is fine, but it's glorified club racing in reality.

There is no way that anyone can argue with a straight face that Pirelli has greater competition, fan engagement, sponsorship activation, TV audience (lol), and - yes - prestige than IMSA. If you win PWC do you get to go to Le Mans?

PWC allows kit cars and other questionable "manufacturers" like Panoz.
So you're saying the reason that the GT3R is leading PWC and not doing as well in IMSA is because PWC is an inferior series? This despite fact that both run FIA GT3 spec cars and many of the drivers jump back and forth between the two series? Just want to make sure I understand your point.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:08 PM
Guest89
Drifting

So you're saying the reason that the GT3R is leading PWC and not doing as well in IMSA is because PWC is an inferior series? This despite fact that both run FIA GT3 spec cars and many of the drivers jump back and forth between the two series? Just want to make sure I understand your point.
The cars are FIA GT3 spec in both series; different BOP obviously.

I would not say that "many" drivers jump back and forth, but some do.

Do you actually believe that PWC is on par with IMSA, or are you just being contentious?

There's no enduro racing, no TV coverage of which to speak, limited calendar equity year over year, zero connection whatsoever to Le Mans (i.e., no auto invite)
Old 07-26-2017, 01:23 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Do you actually believe that PWC is on par with IMSA, or are you just being contentious?
)
Nope. Just trying to understand what fan engagement, sponsorship, TV audience, Le Mans connection has to do with the GT3 R being a disappointment in one series, as you state, and yet a winner in another, assuming I understand your argument correctly.

AFAIK, it has far more to do with different BOP methodologies, different tires, relative support levels, and to some degree mix of tracks than it does with a fundamental flaw with the GT3 R, which some like to imply.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:11 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow, this back and forth is getting interesting
Old 07-27-2017, 12:27 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Nope. Just trying to understand what fan engagement, sponsorship, TV audience, Le Mans connection has to do with the GT3 R being a disappointment in one series, as you state, and yet a winner in another, assuming I understand your argument correctly.

AFAIK, it has far more to do with different BOP methodologies, different tires, relative support levels, and to some degree mix of tracks than it does with a fundamental flaw with the GT3 R, which some like to imply.
I believe the level of competition in PWC is considerably lower.

Are there any full factory efforts in PWC? No
Are there teams racing older cars in PWC? (Eg. 458 - yes)

I think we're agreed on that point, at least.

3 IMSA pro drivers who drove the GT3 R last year and one team owner who campaigned a GT3 R in IMSA last year have all told me (more than once) that the GT3 R lacks the setup bandwidth of other, more AM-friendly cars; it struggles in a Pro Am class as a result (compromised setup).
Old 07-27-2017, 04:31 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Personally, I wouldn't be so quick to denigrate the level of driving and competition in PWC....

http://nasportscar.com/comparing-ims...ach-lap-times/

And some interesting stats from last weekends IMSA race. Nice to see Pat Long only three one-hundredths off the fastest GTD lap time. Lally was on a mission....

http://nasportscar.com/2017-weather-...sis-lime-rock/
Old 07-27-2017, 05:00 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Personally, I wouldn't be so quick to denigrate the level of driving and competition in PWC....

http://nasportscar.com/comparing-ims...ach-lap-times/

And some interesting stats from last weekends IMSA race. Nice to see Pat Long only three one-hundredths off the fastest GTD lap time. Lally was on a mission....

http://nasportscar.com/2017-weather-...sis-lime-rock/
PWC vs GTD isn't a straight up comparison - tires performance varies substantially

What about my last point:

3 IMSA pro drivers who drove the GT3 R last year and one team owner who campaigned a GT3 R in IMSA last year have all told me (more than once) that the GT3 R lacks the setup bandwidth of other, more AM-friendly cars; it struggles in a Pro Am class as a result (compromised setup).
This was my original statement:

Old 07-27-2017, 05:50 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

The answers are in the data links provided.

Quick Reply: 2017 LeMans