Sponsored by:

2017 LeMans

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 09:41 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by brake dust
That is not the correct understanding of BOP either! The FIA now uses an algorithm to analyze data to eliminate the "lobbying." ACO uses its own data for Le Mans. All adjustments are based on data analysis. The data sets have been agreed upon by the OEMs.
Lol. Data is collected through testing and manufactures sand-bag hugely, as Ford and Ferrari did last year. The lobbying effort is convincing them the data is legit when in fact they are testing at nowhere near their full potential.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:57 PM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by brake dust
That is not the correct understanding of BOP either! The FIA now uses an algorithm to analyze data to eliminate the "lobbying." ACO uses its own data for Le Mans. All adjustments are based on data analysis. The data sets have been agreed upon by the OEMs.
Remains to be seen how well the analysis is with torque curves. Also, the other issue is the differences between the FIA theoretical lap time data and actual race performance. Torque tends to win races over momentum cars. Tend to agree with Randr.
Agreed, I believe the BoP algorithm is meant to place the cars within .2 seconds or perhaps .3 seconds per lap of one another, of course this is a huge margin if your car is always .2 seconds slower. Which data is used and how the BoP corrections are applied are pivotal to the race outcome. He who controls the algorithm controls the outcome.

Operational, lets call it "dynamic range or adjustable range" in key areas, e.g. aero or engine performance allows for maximum flexibility in this regard - moreover, having this flexibility with a race series covering a diverse range of circuits is essential (hilly, flat, technichal, "fast", hot)

Also agreed, torque tends to win races - it works for you out of every corner and up every hill (whether it be developed by electric motors, displacement or turbos).

In WEC GT - Porsche remain last.

Last edited by randr; 07-21-2017 at 01:44 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:01 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

For those interested in understanding BOP rules please read this page and a half memo that delineates the current rules. As you will see BOP is now an automatic adjustment calculated via an algorithm with no human intervention.

http://www.fia.com/file/55048/download?token=fvnkW2pU
Old 07-21-2017, 01:11 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
For those interested in understanding BOP rules please read this page and a half memo that delineates the current rules. As you will see BOP is now an automatic adjustment calculated via an algorithm with no human intervention.

http://www.fia.com/file/55048/download?token=fvnkW2pU
In WEC only; IMSA BOP is still influenced by politics.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:26 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Just got back from Lime Rock and I have to say the BOP worked.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:40 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Maybe FSW is becoming politically savvy.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:58 PM
randr
Banned

"As the cars are based on production models, they are fundamentally different from each other and
the performance of each is adjusted to allow each car model to be competitive." BOP 2017.

With a straight face - can anybody tell me which production car the RSR is based on................
Old 07-23-2017, 01:46 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
"As the cars are based on production models, they are fundamentally different from each other and
the performance of each is adjusted to allow each car model to be competitive." BOP 2017.

With a straight face - can anybody tell me which production car the RSR is based on................

Cayman
Old 07-23-2017, 06:11 AM
randr
Banned

^^^^
Old 07-23-2017, 10:30 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,875 Likes on 970 Posts

Guys bad mouthing the RSR are missing the plot; essentially saying Porsche engineers looked at the regs and made a fundamental error not going turbo. Wrong.

FWIW, Porsche race engineers are supporters of BOP. Their view is that if cars are equal they will win on superior strategy, execution, driving, durability, and experience. Witness the results this weekend after the RSR's were granted a 10kg weight reduction and 1mm restrictor increase.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:31 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

I've had enough of this (willful) ignorance every time this topic is discussed. The GT3 RS is the homologation vehicle.

Read the GTE rule book before you try to showcase how "clever" you are:

Position: Free
Orientation: Free but must respect original orientation (ie longitudinal vs transverse)

The engine is behind the driver and has been rotated 180 degrees. It requires no waiver and fully conforms to the rules.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:53 PM
randr
Banned

Originally Posted by Guest89
I've had enough of this (willful) ignorance every time this topic is discussed. The GT3 RS is the homologation vehicle.

Read the GTE rule book before you try to showcase how "clever" you are:

Position: Free
Orientation: Free but must respect original orientation (ie longitudinal vs transverse)

The engine is behind the driver and has been rotated 180 degrees. It requires no waiver and fully conforms to the rules.
BTW - that comment was tongue in cheek but never mind.

And I know that - its a Cayman layout - its not a 911 layout - get over it (of course this won't stop Porsche marketing)

The results are the results Nizer - its a car, and its not winning - therefore they are not getting it right. The rules are the same for everyone and team Porsche is dead set last in WEC GT. The cars that are winning have more flexibility. Period.

Get your collective heads out of the sand. Confront the facts and deal with them.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:09 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

The results are the results Nizer - its a car, and its not winning - therefore they are not getting it right. The rules are the same for everyone and team Porsche is dead set last in WEC GT. The cars that are winning have more flexibility. Period.

Get your collective heads out of the sand. Confront the facts and deal with them.
Whatever you say....

Porsche perfect in IMSA Lime Rock sweep
Saturday, 22 July 2017
By Marshall Pruett / Images by Gavin Baker, Richard Dole/LAT

https://www.racer.com/imsa/item/1425...imsa-lime-rock
Old 07-23-2017, 09:13 PM
randr
Banned

No its not what I say - Its what the WEC GT rankings say - Team Porsche is dead set last.

If the team is last, then its not performing as well as the other teams. The bottom placed teams are running NA cars the top two teams are running FI cars.

Not interested in IMSA.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:21 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Somebody needs to tell the Lime Rock stewards that Porsche lost and the turbo guys won. Guess the only question now is whether to give the win to Ford or BMW....

Quick Reply: 2017 LeMans