Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS VS 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 03:45 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 723 Likes on 333 Posts

Subbed to this thread. I'm getting dangerously close in listing my GT350 for one of these 911's. My last Porsche was a 997.2 GT3. I found it to be too harshly suspended for too much DD duty so I mainly used it for back road fun. Wasn't using it all that much. I ultimately sold it to a fellow Rennlister and allocated the funds for a home remodel I had pending at the time.

I love my GT350. However I'm once again longing for another 911, which would be my 5th one. So for likely what my use would be for a 911, the GTS sounds like it would fit the bill better. But that howl of the Mezger engine in my last car is almost haunting me. And I wouldn't need my next one for DD duty either. If I give up instructing for sport bike track days I'd be replacing that activity with GT3 DE's. You see how this is going lol...

Having said all this, I know it's early for actual deliveries of the 991.2 GT3's but has anyone here taken delivery who has prior experience with the 997.2 GT3? I'm hoping that the new one is possibly a bit more compliant for surface streets.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:52 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
I drove the Turboed C2S, GT3RS and '17 TTS at my last Porsche Master's Course at Barber Motorsports Track last year and I was amazed how close it could stay to the
TTS and 3RS lapping with us. It was my first experience with the smaller 3.0 L TC engine in the Carrera, and it was the car that impressed me the most. It drove as a far lighter
and more nimble car around corners compared with the TTS, and the surprising low-RPM Torque of the C2S on Barber's Large Elevation Changes up the hills could pull the 3RS.
Well, my experience was the opposite. I really wanted to like GTS enough to save some money vs. Turbo S, but the gap was too vast. GTS did not feel any lighter to me, and the engine was less responsive and much weaker. Of course, perceptions can vary, but even looking at the numbers, the 991.2 GTS is now a porker just as much as the Turbo (the new engines seem to be adding some serious weight) with only 285 lbs advantage in 2wd and 180lb advantage for 4wd versions (canadian porsche numbers, PDK versions). Make config more comparable (RWS, Bose, motorized seats etc.), and the difference gets even smaller. So you get a 4-7% lighter car at best with pretty much the same suspension but missing the extra 35%+ of area under the power curve Turbo S has, as well as Turbo's bigger total cooling capacity, VTG and clever anti-lag for instant response (.2 Turbo really stepped it up), slightly better aero, noticeably better brakes, etc - not even close to an equal trade.

I do think that GTS is a better value for the money than Turbo and more than enough for pretty much anything, but it's a myth that it's much lighter (with the new gen), and it's not nearly as capable.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:26 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,289 Likes on 679 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy M
Subbed to this thread. I'm getting dangerously close in listing my GT350 for one of these 911's. My last Porsche was a 997.2 GT3. I found it to be too harshly suspended for too much DD duty so I mainly used it for back road fun. Wasn't using it all that much. I ultimately sold it to a fellow Rennlister and allocated the funds for a home remodel I had pending at the time.

I love my GT350. However I'm once again longing for another 911, which would be my 5th one. So for likely what my use would be for a 911, the GTS sounds like it would fit the bill better. But that howl of the Mezger engine in my last car is almost haunting me. And I wouldn't need my next one for DD duty either. If I give up instructing for sport bike track days I'd be replacing that activity with GT3 DE's. You see how this is going lol...

Having said all this, I know it's early for actual deliveries of the 991.2 GT3's but has anyone here taken delivery who has prior experience with the 997.2 GT3? I'm hoping that the new one is possibly a bit more compliant for surface streets.
If your last GT car was a 997.2 GT3, and your biggest concern with it was the harsh suspension, and you haven’t yet driven a 991 GT3, then you are in for a treat.
While still more firm than a carrera, the 991 GT3 is much more compliant and liveable on regular roads than the 997s. I even daily drove my 991.1 GT3 for a while with no problems , but a 997 GT3 would rattle my teeth fillings. The 991.2 GT3 is reported to be even a bit more compliant on city streets than the 991.1, but this is a modest change compared to the large difference between a 997.2 GT3 and a 991.1 GT3.

Because of this and PDK, the 991 GT3 is far more accessible and also far more popular. Fairly easy to find a used 991.1 GT3 right now, but if you’re just getting back into the Porsche GT car game, you won’t be able to buy a new 991.2 GT3 without paying 20-30K over MSRP.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:22 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,528 Likes on 5,055 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Well, my experience was the opposite. I really wanted to like GTS enough to save some money vs. Turbo S, but the gap was too vast. GTS did not feel any lighter to me, and the engine was less responsive and much weaker. Of course, perceptions can vary, but even looking at the numbers, the 991.2 GTS is now a porker just as much as the Turbo (the new engines seem to be adding some serious weight) with only 285 lbs advantage in 2wd and 180lb advantage for 4wd versions (canadian porsche numbers, PDK versions). Make config more comparable (RWS, Bose, motorized seats etc.), and the difference gets even smaller. So you get a 4-7% lighter car at best with pretty much the same suspension but missing the extra 35%+ of area under the power curve Turbo S has, as well as Turbo's bigger total cooling capacity, VTG and clever anti-lag for instant response (.2 Turbo really stepped it up), slightly better aero, noticeably better brakes, etc - not even close to an equal trade.

I do think that GTS is a better value for the money than Turbo and more than enough for pretty much anything, but it's a myth that it's much lighter (with the new gen), and it's not nearly as capable.
All true, but for many the availability of 2WD and/or 7MT makes the GTS infinitely more desirable than a TT/TTS.

It's the beauty of Porsche. They're like Baskin Robbins. 31 Flavors. Plus 1.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:21 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts

Very interesting thread.

all here know about Potsche pricing and endless option $uck. I test drove a M5 F90 couple of times as I was about to order one but came back feeling numb every time so test drove a cayman S. Liked it over the M5.

so been pricing them and can’t help getting option $ucked.
My track days are behind me so looking for street driver with spirited feel.
718 GTS optioned - $122K with everything
and you say man thats 911 money
Carrera T optioned - $155K
and you say man thats C4S money
C4S optioned - $175K
and you say man thats C4GTS or better money
C4GTS optioned - $181K
and you say man why not turbo or GT3
Turbo is a brute and not my style and less appealing look to me
GT3 optioned - $175K - yeah actually cheaper than C4GTS

currently leaning towards CT or C4GTS

GT3 is ultimate car, but wont enjoy it as much my racing track days are behind me but very appealing $ wise considering Porsche Option $uck.

why so many options- just want to get everything I like, why compromise. Will finance with decen down and keep for a while.

the Base engine sweet and CT offers some of the bells and whistles like rear axle steering etc. just wondering If I would regret not going for the C4GTS, difference is $25K both optioned to about $52K
Old 08-05-2018, 07:51 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

The GTS has performed great for me as a daily- and I just put sport cup 2's on my car. Will be interesting to see how they compare to the Pirellis it was delivered on.

The GTS is good substitute for people who wanted a touring with 18 ways and a manual.
Not quite the hammer of the turbo or the GT car scalpel. More like nunchucks. You can still bash your eye out on accident or disarm an opponent.
The following users liked this post:
hamishpotter (02-19-2020)
Old 08-06-2018, 03:45 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Do you really need $53k in options on a T?

I mean I know you can order them (you can get a T just shy of $180k if you tick every box), but $53k is a ton of options.

Disclaimer: I like strippers. Less to break or go wrong. I had to have my arm twisted to order FAL on a GT3.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:14 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
Do you really need $53k in options on a T?

I mean I know you can order them (you can get a T just shy of $180k if you tick every box), but $53k is a ton of options.

Disclaimer: I like strippers. Less to break or go wrong. I had to have my arm twisted to order FAL on a GT3.
x2, crazy how with ordering a 911 these days the options list has exploded. I thought I was being lavish with $20k in options on my GT3 and turns out it's likely a stripper, didn't even option a single leather upgrade. Most GT3s seem to have 30-40k in options... The fact that you can option essentially a Benz E-Class on your Carrera T or GT3 is crazy!
Old 08-06-2018, 02:42 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
x2, crazy how with ordering a 911 these days the options list has exploded. I thought I was being lavish with $20k in options on my GT3 and turns out it's likely a stripper, didn't even option a single leather upgrade. Most GT3s seem to have 30-40k in options... The fact that you can option essentially a Benz E-Class on your Carrera T or GT3 is crazy!
+1. I have $12k in options on mine (including full leather, FAL, and LWB's) and don't regret not ordering more at all (if anything, I might've ordered fewer options). Remember that every dollar spent on options is also subject to sales tax, licensing fees, and stated value insurance premiums too.

The most valuable option (European Delivery) is free

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS VS 991.2 GT3