Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you really go unnoticed in a GT3 Touring ?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 08:54 PM
jackmac
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Can you really go unnoticed in a GT3 Touring ?!?

Recently I have been contemplating about changing my build to a touring model. Test drove a friend's .1 GT3 and the attention you get in the car is unreal.
For touring owners, do you get less unwanted attention in your car? Thanks.
Jack
Old 07-31-2018, 09:10 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Bro you have a big wing on the car .............
Old 07-31-2018, 09:20 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Gt3 isnt RS
nor does a touring look like vw beetle.
Really not much difference.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:24 PM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Received 225 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by jackmac
Recently I have been contemplating about changing my build to a touring model. Test drove a friend's .1 GT3 and the attention you get in the car is unreal.
Jack
Having a Touring, I would guess it gets less attention from a winged car, although, I do get some. It's actually a big part of the reason I chose a Touring. At my age (62), I just don't feel the need for all of that attention. Plus, I've always been drawn to "sleeper" cars. I probably won't track the car much, so didn't feel I needed a wing.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:26 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Jack
Definitely less attention on street. Driving to the track with my winged friends, no one looks at me twice.

Oddly enough, at the track, the touring gets way more attention than the winged cars. Most questions are around how i've modded my c2s.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:40 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Less attention from those who don't know about Porsches/GT3.

More attention from those who do know. But that might be just from the novelty of the Touring.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:54 PM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Less attention definitely. Even some Porsche owners are not aware unless those who really follows it or enthusiast. Went to P2O 2 weeks ago and some are not aware about GT3 Touring. It is sometimes funny on some our their questions and comments.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:55 PM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris88
Having a Touring, I would guess it gets less attention from a winged car, although, I do get some. It's actually a big part of the reason I chose a Touring. At my age (62), I just don't feel the need for all of that attention. Plus, I've always been drawn to "sleeper" cars. I probably won't track the car much, so didn't feel I needed a wing.
I really don't think that you can call the GT3 Touring a sleeper car, for that matter I don't think any Porsche is a sleeper car, kind of an oxymoron. All GT3's stick out wing or not, as will the upcoming cab version.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:56 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

I have had all the iterations in the last generation 991 GT3 white , GT3RS in black, Then GT3RS in Lava Orange now GT silver Touring. Without a doubt the Lava orange GT3RS got an incredible amount of attention, people could see it a mile away and just unrelenting big wing didn't help. The White GT3 was up next with a lot of attention and people taking photos on the highway etc. The black RS got very little attention but still was out there with the big wing etc. at night the car would just blend in almost stealth like. My Touring is considered just a very nice 911. Not a lot of attention and people don't cross over the highway to take a look but it's still a Porsche and gets people looking. I guess what I'm saying is that Color + WIng = attention. Less of each gets less attention but again still a Porsche so you will get people looking just not like a Mclaren Ferrari etc
Old 07-31-2018, 10:28 PM
jackmac
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks for the replies, like others, I am at a stage in life where I don't want to be bothered by people who are trying to race/follow me home. I don't mind occasional positive attention, a thumbs up here and there would be nice from people who really appreciate the car.
Jack
Old 07-31-2018, 10:53 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Thanks for the replies, like others, I am at a stage in life where I don't want to be bothered by people who are trying to race/follow me home. I don't mind occasional positive attention, a thumbs up here and there would be nice from people who really appreciate the car.
Jack
Car guys will recognize a GT3 with a wing. I get nothing but positive reactions from people. For example, today at the dealer one of the girls was bringing in the key. She leans over to me and says I love your car. She must see these things all day, every day. It is special, even to people at the Porsche dealership. Drove through the parking lot. Guy walks out, sees the car and drops his arms. Looks at me and goes that is my dream car! Thumbs up almost every time out. Special car!
Old 07-31-2018, 10:54 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a guy in a BMW filming me with his phone before I'd even made it 2 miles from the dealership. With the stance of the car and the sound people still seem to pick up on it.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:06 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 157 Posts

IMO the whole attention thing is overblown. I have a red 488 and it doesn’t get that much attention, much less my GT3. Most people just see another 911. Oh, and I am 62 as well.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:37 PM
PhilZJ
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
IMO the whole attention thing is overblown. I have a red 488 and it doesn’t get that much attention, much less my GT3. Most people just see another 911. Oh, and I am 62 as well.
I think it's very geographic, some areas you get a lot of attentions, other areas much less. I don't get much attention. Most from either guy on a sport bike or VW owner. If you don't like attention, move to Florida (not Miami though). Here, most people drive a beige or gray Hyundai, they have no interest in cars or roads.
I drove my dad's 991.1 C2S in Atlanta when he got it back in 2012 and it got a lot more attention than I do in the GT3 in my area.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:15 AM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Received 225 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilZJ
I think it's very geographic, some areas you get a lot of attentions, other areas much less. I don't get much attention. Most from either guy on a sport bike or VW owner. If you don't like attention, move to Florida (not Miami though). Here, most people drive a beige or gray Hyundai, they have no interest in cars or roads.
I drove my dad's 991.1 C2S in Atlanta when he got it back in 2012 and it got a lot more attention than I do in the GT3 in my area.
Interesting point. I recently returned from a 6 state trip to the Northwest and beyond. In metropolitan areas, I seemed to get more attention, but in the country of Idaho and Utah, nobody seemed to notice. It might also come down to simply how people react.

Quick Reply: Can you really go unnoticed in a GT3 Touring ?!?