Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS VS 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 10:24 PM
mrhamamg
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

GTS is turbo GT3 is NA. thats probably the biggest difference.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:40 PM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts

The GT3 is overall the best LOOKING of the 991 range. I think your friend will agree that although looks are subjective, that the GT3 is just a nicer looking ride.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:01 PM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Stock Vs Stock the difference is the driver I don't see why that would be a surprise.

The new MPSC2 tires are a definite improvement over the N0s. I swapped out from PZero N1 and MPSC2 N0 and am very happy with the level of grip and stability of the sidewall offered by the MPSC2 N1.

Both are great cars and both reward good driving.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:11 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
You need to explain to your friend that although the GTS makes more torque at the flywheel, it doesn't necessarily make more torque to the wheels at all times.

Because the GT3's absolute gearing is much lower (9k rpm redline vs. 7,500 rpm with similar top speeds allows this), the GTS doesn't enjoy as much torque multiplication through the gearbox as does the GT3.

That being said, the GTS is a very fast car (particularly if it's on Cup tires like the GT3) and it would perhaps be better bang for the buck if it enjoyed the same depreciation curve as the GT3...
Well put!
Old 11-23-2017, 11:18 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Not surprising that they turn similar lap times, but the experience is for sure different. And one sounds glorious, while the other sounds like Rosie O’Donnell ****ting her pants.

The GT3T is the car Porsche should sell as the GTS.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:28 PM
RobbieRob
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
And one sounds glorious, while the other sounds like Rosie O’Donnell ****ting her pants.
I literally just spit my drink out when I read that, too funny.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:29 PM
Unconscionable
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude. Turbo S has proven as quick as GT3 RS on some tracks. The way they deliver performance is vastly different. The Turbo is all about slow entry, manage understeer, and SMASH the throttle before you’ve even opened up the wheel for corner exit, and watch your pursuers fade into the distance.

GT3 is quicker entry, get some rotation with trail braking, drop a couple gears, roll into throttle on exit. Much more finesse involved.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:32 PM
Unconscionable
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Not surprising that they turn similar lap times, but the experience is for sure different. And one sounds glorious, while the other sounds like Rosie O’Donnell ****ting her pants.

Sounds terrible from factory. Sounds tolerably decent with exhaust. GT3 sounds kind of tin-canny at low-mid revs. Biggest problem is just how quiet the Turbo is.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:41 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

I have a paltry .2 C4 and I am hoping to get a GT3 allocation in 2018 come hell or high water (full on drinking the kool-aid of the GT3). My .2 C4 is averaging 15 MPG as I just hit 2k miles on the odometer so I lost the glorious raspiness of the 9A1 flat-six in the .1 AND I did not see any noticeable improvement in MPG (not looking into emissions...)

I will say that the turbo motor is a different beast, as we love to herald the Turbo range or the GT2 but cry sacrilege when they turbo'd the Carrera range (I am thinking of back when the 996 came out with water cooling).... The torque and shove when the turbos kick in is quite a hoot for driving on regular roads as you don't need to wind the engine out and hit the upper band of the rev range (where you are likely in triple digit speeds), and I'm sure will likely make the car competitive in lap times with the GT3

The GTS I think is a great package especially for those unable (or giving up) on getting a GT3 OR need the rear-seats OR need to daily drive it (although I plan on daily driving a GT3), even if turbo'd

Just my 2 cents, trying to bridge the divide maybe between those who drive and love their .2 911's and those who sit firmly in the NA/GT range... both are amazing cars!

However in the end, the sound, engine, pedigree of the GT range, and just killer design of the GT3 for me is what will win out...don't need rear seats and I plan on daily driving a GT3 if I can get my hands on one
Old 11-24-2017, 12:02 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

In addition to the normally aspirated engine and associated throttle response and soundtrack the GT3 has a few features superfluous to a most buyers but very important to some. For competition use the GT3’s more adjustable suspension (swaybars, ride height, camber adjustment range) is huge if you’re comfortable turning those *****. Stiffer springs and dampers are a slight drawback in low grip conditions (wet) but adapt much better to competition rubber like Hoosiers. The dry sump and Cup DNA will be more tolerant of sustained track/ competition use. All of these features would increase the price of the GTS for zero gain to most buyers, and virtually none of it will show up against the clock on magazine tests. For some they are make or break, however- you’ll know if they matter to you or not.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:10 AM
superchargedman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pete, we are aligned in our car purchasing. We bought our 1M's, GT4's, and now GT3's together. In the spirit of the discussion of finding a complementary car to the GT3, what are you doing with your fleet to make room for the GT3? Dealer's strongly requesting my GT4 on trade, which is hard for me to give up, but I think the hammer torque hotrod nature of the 1M will complement the GT3 more so, compared to the the GT4.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:04 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting, and you would know this how? Whats the difference around a track? I can tell you in relation to the 991.1 GT3 and in relation to a 997 Cup car.

Why would Porsche want to sell the GT3T as a GTS? That would make no sense. The assumption that the very tiny purist market can run the agenda is amusing, hence Porsche built the GTS the way it is and as a consequence it has been well received by reviewers and buyers alike.

Less than 15% of GT3 owners drive their cars hard on the clock with accreditation in accredited events. The ability to adjust suspension (this is particularly funny - really are you left track, or right track corner weighting are you changing camber for different tracks left right corner ratios, are simultaneously dealing with in cab brake bias adjustment, really LOL,) and or trivial differences in throttle response, and I mean trivial as in not noticeable when on the hammer are therefore largely irrelevant.

Rosie O'Donnell......same old same old and it shows, absolutely without a doubt, you have never driven a GTS in anger and this leads to the very obvious, why do people who seriously track their cars wear ear plugs. I guess they aren't interested in the "glorious" whatever.

In my experience the biggest downside of the Porsche ownership experience is the very small number of people that can't see the diversity of Porsche as its inherent strength.

Some of us, somewhat surprisingly, can appreciate the Cayman has the best chassis, the GT2RS is the most able sports car, the Carrera is the great cross over sports car and the GT3 is excellent in the niche it occupies. The fact the GTS is a direct competitor to the GT3 is a testament to Porsche stepping up to the plate across the Board. This is something to celebrate.

Last edited by randr; 11-24-2017 at 08:42 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by randr:
Christian Reyes (09-02-2020), Min Choi (04-13-2020), pietpara (12-26-2019)
Old 11-24-2017, 08:39 AM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 159 Posts

My ideal stable of modern 911's would be a winged 991.2 GT3 and a 991.2 Targa GTS.

GTS is a great car. It lacks the racecar like experience of the GT3, but it's a great car that punches above it's weight.
The following users liked this post:
stmblaster (07-29-2021)
Old 11-24-2017, 11:15 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by superchargedman
Pete, we are aligned in our car purchasing. We bought our 1M's, GT4's, and now GT3's together. In the spirit of the discussion of finding a complementary car to the GT3, what are you doing with your fleet to make room for the GT3? Dealer's strongly requesting my GT4 on trade, which is hard for me to give up, but I think the hammer torque hotrod nature of the 1M will complement the GT3 more so, compared to the the GT4.
I’d keep the 1M alongside the GT3 without question. Very different driving experiences, especially if you’re comfortable with traction control off in the 1M. I spent over 70k sideways miles in that hooligan, and while it’s far more flawed than the GT4 I confess to missing it more.

I have two 1969 hot rod Porsche’s I’m trying to keep, one of which checks the “sideways” box. I’m keeping an electric daily- upgrading the Fiat, which was actually kinda fun, to a Tesla Model 3. Still trying to decide what to replace the Audi S3 with. It’s my wife’s car, but the S3 was a mistake in hindsight. I was thinking maybe Jaguar F Type R until I drove one- still looking. If she would have taken the 1M that might have been a good solution, but...

I would add a Spyder if I get the chance. Enjoy that car much more than I’d expected to.

Last edited by Petevb; 11-24-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:55 AM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 431 Posts

We have both, they're equally excellent - In their own way!

The 991.2 GTS we have is a Manual and that combination with the new 3.0TT motor is awesome. Think of this as the 'every day' GT3 (plus a load of added torque)

The 991.2 GT3, much more of an event to drive than the GTS, feels more alive and certainly a lot more focussed for circuit work. Combined with our Inconel Race Exhaust, well just take a listen!

Jonny

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS VS 991.2 GT3