Sponsored by:

just got back, let's discuss value of porsches

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 07:31 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,880 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by IRguy
By the way, if someone is interested and would fly to Colorado and don't want to carry the big bike case, I have a few relatively decent bikes in size 54!!
Any takers??
My wife is a great chef and we will have amazing food for the Everesting!! (vegan)
I did Whiteface climb once. No interest in doing it again. As far as the idea of doing similar multiple times in same day at altitude, well I'll just leave this here...

Old 01-08-2018, 07:33 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,702 Likes on 2,342 Posts

By the way, if someone is interested and would fly to Colorado and don't want to carry the big bike case, I have a few relatively decent bikes in size 54!!
Any takers??
My wife is a great chef and we will have amazing food for the Everesting!! (vegan)
i can show up for the food ;-)
Old 01-08-2018, 08:10 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 375 Posts

Have always thought about Everesting. Seems like a good goal... a few years from now.

I'm trying to get past the Death Ride first!
Old 01-08-2018, 09:22 PM
IRguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is Death Ride??
My problem is that in a few years I am 50. I am not sure how long can I maintain my form.
Funny thing is that even my car preference is changing. Recently I had to do a car trip Omaha-Chicago and I did it in my 991 GTS which is supposedly a comfortable car for a long journey. I was looking forward to some speedeing etc. Half way through I wished I had chosen the family SUV. The tire noise was just too much, my back hurt, was afraid to really speed, etc.
Started thinking about the e63AMG wagon as a family car. So I have the writing on the wall. If not now maybe never.
Anyone for Hawai - Mauna Kea x2?? First week of March!
Old 01-08-2018, 09:24 PM
IRguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by mooty
i can show up for the food ;-)
You are absolutely Welcome!
For the food or, maybe just one or two climb.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:40 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Would love to do this but I think I would do it a lower altitude to increase my chances for success. LOL. I have already blown thru 50. Life does continue afterwards believe it or not. I am a few years away from trying a few bucket list climbs/rides. Need to go some place to climb as Wisconsin pretty flat. Have fun on your Everest adventure.

I have driven my11 RS on 2500 mile round trip (Smokies) last year and road noise can get tiring but worth it for the curvy stuff. Funny how things change with age.

Tal
Old 01-08-2018, 10:29 PM
UT911GTS
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not getting any younger either and I'm being told I need to get my neck fused due a close inspection of an aspen tree last year but I just can't stop the ripping up the epic single track here in Utah. I have ridden all over and you just can't beat the quantity and quality of the mtn biking here!
Old 01-08-2018, 11:38 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

UT911GTS: that's bitchin single track. i was a MTB'er as well. i did MOAB 2x. loved it,. now i am fearful of all the rough terrain.

IRGuy, me too. in a few years i'll be 50. not sure how long we can still ride. and i also have some pref changes in cars. while i still love sportscar for fun, i like comfy for cruising. i found my cayenne turbo to rumbly noisy with exhaust and my cayenne diesel nice and quiet. soon i might buy a cadillac and call it quits haha
Old 01-09-2018, 12:19 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

What is Death Ride??
My problem is that in a few years I am 50. I am not sure how long can I maintain my form.
Funny thing is that even my car preference is changing. Recently I had to do a car trip Omaha-Chicago and I did it in my 991 GTS which is supposedly a comfortable car for a long journey. I was looking forward to some speedeing etc. Half way through I wished I had chosen the family SUV. The tire noise was just too much, my back hurt, was afraid to really speed, etc.
Started thinking about the e63AMG wagon as a family car. So I have the writing on the wall. If not now maybe never.
Anyone for Hawai - Mauna Kea x2?? First week of March!
Local ride with 120mi and 15,000' elevation at altitude. Thus the name.

I'm a couple years ahead of you - hitting 50 this year. I think we both have a bunch of good years left in us before the drop off starts. I too have had a shift in priorities since finding cycling. Find myself wanting to track less; bike more and I'm not the only one. Also looking at more comfy daily drivers too. It creeps up on you slowly. Still loving the ride though. Welcome to the old age pool. Come on in, the water's warm
Old 01-09-2018, 12:43 AM
UT911GTS
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mooty you're not 50 yet? I turned 50 in July and still ride it all. Can clear everything on double down at the Canyons except one gap (first big wood gap after the big dirt drop). Check it out!

Old 01-09-2018, 01:11 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Local ride with 120mi and 15,000' elevation at altitude. Thus the name.

I'm a couple years ahead of you - hitting 50 this year. I think we both have a bunch of good years left in us before the drop off starts. I too have had a shift in priorities since finding cycling. Find myself wanting to track less; bike more and I'm not the only one. Also looking at more comfy daily drivers too. It creeps up on you slowly. Still loving the ride though. Welcome to the old age pool. Come on in, the water's warm
shift priorities lol
i dont attend mtgs before noon. i need to ride
i dont like to goto track days b/c it's weekend, i can do longer rides
i sometimes fporget to pick up kids, b/c i am still riding.
i actually called max friend's parents, to have them delay the birthday party of their kids by 45 min. bc i need that time to finish the ride.
weekend drive.. only if it's not interfering with riding. but both driving and riding arae best done in the morning. so i rarely drive.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:15 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by UT911GTS
Mooty you're not 50 yet? I turned 50 in July and still ride it all. Can clear everything on double down at the Canyons except one gap (first big wood gap after the big dirt drop). Check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u5yg235SuI
very impressive. i haven't been on dirt for 20 years. i USED to be able to clear those thigns. now they look scary hahaha
Old 01-09-2018, 02:31 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Talking

Originally Posted by mooty
shift priorities lol
i dont attend mtgs before noon. i need to ride
i dont like to goto track days b/c it's weekend, i can do longer rides
i sometimes fporget to pick up kids, b/c i am still riding.
i actually called max friend's parents, to have them delay the birthday party of their kids by 45 min. bc i need that time to finish the ride.
weekend drive.. only if it's not interfering with riding. but both driving and riding arae best done in the morning. so i rarely drive.
When I wrote "i'm not the only one" I had someone in mind
Old 01-09-2018, 10:38 AM
IRguy
Instructor

It is very reassuring to read all of these post and to know that I am not alone!
Try to ride outside as much as possible but during the winter months it is very difficult in Omaha. Now I do the Sufferfest videos on a wahoo kickr trainer. They are deadly!

On cars: I still go out to the local track (MAM) but now mainly with my kids. Lap times are not that important any more. I moded my 997.2 RS on my own. Full RSS suspension, full exhaust, run on BFG-R1 or Hoosier A6 and was obsessed with lap times. Loved to do all the services and mods myself. Then a year ago kinda started to feel like work at the track. My heart rate was already up just going through the gates. Then i started to run my 2010 MX-5, obviously much slower but no expectation attached, no pressure, more fun. Last year I took the Mclaren 650s to the track and after 5 lap (maybe 8) went home for the MX-5. (well the 650s overheated anyway)
Will track the 991.2 GT3 but not going to touch the suspension - alignment only, and a bypass exhaust.
And again i started to like the e63AMG, or a Icon Derelict wagon??
Old 01-09-2018, 10:55 AM
4ng crcs
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

mooty u don't need the Caddy yet.
wait til you're on the other side of 70... that is when you discover the Panny 4 is the Buick Roadmaster reimagined by Porsche and enjoy it. 😬

Quick Reply: just got back, let's discuss value of porsches