991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just got back, let's discuss value of porsches

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018 | 11:22 AM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

emotion inside ride rollers - best piece you can buy yourself to get in great training, not good training, but great training in bad weather. been sub 25 here in north jersey for like 10days, but im able to get in 1:45 of intervals maybe 2 days in a row, rest a day, 2 days in a row, rest a day. mentally annoying, and missing the outside, but its a nice 8 here today. anything over 27 ill hit the outside. but 8 is just unworkable. lung damage stuff right there.
i live about 7 miles, about a 20 minute warmup from a state park which is like disney land for bikes, but its also about 7 degrees colder than the temps where i start. the conversations about arizona living have been gaining steam in my house, but first, my youngest has to graduate high school in 5 years.
then we depart NJ
Old 01-01-2018 | 11:29 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spg993tt
the conversations about arizona living have been gaining steam in my house, but first, my youngest has to graduate high school in 5 years.
then we depart NJ
Likewise, we are also considering moving out of NJ, seems like our younger ones are the same age. It will be the west coast for us for sure, just not sure if it will be N Cali or another state. Being in IT, it would give me the best opportunity but with my wife being a lawyer, she would get screwed as she would need to get barred in whatever state we decide to move to. Have plenty of research to do.
Old 01-01-2018 | 01:02 PM
basil2000
Advanced

Nizer is that duxbury harbor? I cant get motivated to ride in anything below 20deg. Plus my 2 teenage boys had me playing pond hockey for 3 hours yesterday and it looks like they are dragging me out today. My boys are starting to do indoor training at cycle life studio next to the bike barn next week with their mountain bike team. I may go with them so i can try and hang with them this summer. Hard to get the free time with work but I’m getting older and they are getting faster. Lol
Old 01-01-2018 | 02:05 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Brian 96C2
Hi,
I haven't ridden either of these bikes but since my local shop is a Trek dealer I looked at the Emonda SLR9 but discovered because the integrated seat post the bike frame won't fit into my travel case. I am assuming you want to take your new bike to Europe this summer so make sure this is not an issue. I think you will be on a smaller frame from what I remember but check this out.
When I went to Europe last summer I expected to see many riders on disc brake bikes but found just the opposite. There are very few riders there, from my observation that use disc brakes. A 2-edged sword as I see it, disc brakes are better in wet conditions but there is a weight penality. On a 12 KM col at 7%, that adds up.
I have been riding a rim brake Canyon Ultimate CF SLX with eTap for 3 years now (helps to have a good friend at SRAM who set me up with a pre-production drivetrain) and this is best bike I have ever ridden. I am in no hurry to go to disc brakes even though I love riding in the mountains.
I waver back and forth with disc vs non-disc. The emonda slr9 is so light, then add the disc brakes and I'm not sure but it might be close to the Pinarello (weight wise) without the disc's. Trouble for me is trying both out might not be possible around this neck of the woods. You're certainly right, every gram counts riding up those cols.
I will definitely keep in mind regarding the seat post having difficulty fitting into a travel case.
Old 01-01-2018 | 02:20 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Brian 96C2
Hi,
I haven't ridden either of these bikes but since my local shop is a Trek dealer I looked at the Emonda SLR9 but discovered because the integrated seat post the bike frame won't fit into my travel case. I am assuming you want to take your new bike to Europe this summer so make sure this is not an issue. I think you will be on a smaller frame from what I remember but check this out.
When I went to Europe last summer I expected to see many riders on disc brake bikes but found just the opposite. There are very few riders there, from my observation that use disc brakes. A 2-edged sword as I see it, disc brakes are better in wet conditions but there is a weight penality. On a 12 KM col at 7%, that adds up.
I have been riding a rim brake Canyon Ultimate CF SLX with eTap for 3 years now (helps to have a good friend at SRAM who set me up with a pre-production drivetrain) and this is best bike I have ever ridden. I am in no hurry to go to disc brakes even though I love riding in the mountains.
hum.... i really like rim brakes, my eecyclworks is fine. but i am not a good descender ( i much rather climb all day and never descend) and over brake. the blackprince pads only last me about 1000 miles. and in the wet, i simply cannot stop; i have resorted to a toyota corolla, a tree, an uphill embankment to get myself stopped (dont laugh....) and all the talk about disc sort of got me excited on trying one. u know i need excuses to buy more crap. i already have two identical ultra light (when one in shop, i ride the other)

will have to look into canyon. every canyon i seer around here are ridden by really fast riders. how fast?... they pass me, i got off saddle to chase, 10 pedal strokes.... they pull away... " WTF am i thinking..... i might as well be chasing a ducati 1299" sit down and do my own thing...
Old 01-01-2018 | 03:47 PM
wurlie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
hum.... i really like rim brakes, my eecyclworks is fine. but i am not a good descender ( i much rather climb all day and never descend) and over brake. the blackprince pads only last me about 1000 miles. and in the wet, i simply cannot stop; i have resorted to a toyota corolla, a tree, an uphill embankment to get myself stopped (dont laugh....) and all the talk about disc sort of got me excited on trying one. u know i need excuses to buy more crap. i already have two identical ultra light (when one in shop, i ride the other)

will have to look into canyon. every canyon i seer around here are ridden by really fast riders. how fast?... they pass me, i got off saddle to chase, 10 pedal strokes.... they pull away... " WTF am i thinking..... i might as well be chasing a ducati 1299" sit down and do my own thing...
I ride a Tarmac, a Parlee Z0, a Cipo NK1K, a Passoni and a Focus CX bike with SRAM Red disc brakes. All on a variety of carbon wheels - Zipp 454NSW, Lightweight, Gokiso.
Cipo has Dura Ace direct mount brakes and has superb braking, on all the wheels. In my view, there is no upside to disc braking, as direct mount provides all the power and great feel.
I hope all my future frames to have direct mount.
Best, w
Old 01-01-2018 | 04:46 PM
jj99c2
Rennlist Member

I would try the newer model Enve wheels (2017) which have an updated brake track. I am getting good braking on a set of 3.4s with the eecycleworks brakes and stock enve pads even in the wet. It is dramatically better in the wet than other carbon wheels I have - Reynolds assaults and Roval wheels with smooth brake tracks.
Old 01-01-2018 | 05:11 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by wurlie
I ride a Tarmac, a Parlee Z0, a Cipo NK1K, a Passoni and a Focus CX bike with SRAM Red disc brakes. All on a variety of carbon wheels - Zipp 454NSW, Lightweight, Gokiso.
Cipo has Dura Ace direct mount brakes and has superb braking, on all the wheels. In my view, there is no upside to disc braking, as direct mount provides all the power and great feel.
I hope all my future frames to have direct mount.
Best, w
another rider
and congrats on ur R!
I had NK1k with super record direct mount. and the 2018 tarmac safe also doexrr mount now. direct are way better than the old center mount stuff there is enough stopping power except when raining and mostly i’m just inteimguwdnwith disc i had rhem
on mtb but curious on road.

how do u like nk1k. of the rb800, rb1k and nk1k, I like
rb1k the most. i have 4000 miles or so on each frame. all had super record
and mielenstein. rb1k has insanelynshirt head rubs. I need35mm stack but it was fast. nk1k is not as aggro geo as rb1k
and heavier.

Originally Posted by jj99c2
I would try the newer model Enve wheels (2017) which have an updated brake track. I am getting good braking on a set of 3.4s with the eecycleworks brakes and stock enve pads even in the wet. It is dramatically better in the wet than other carbon wheels I have - Reynolds assaults and Roval wheels with smooth brake tracks.
roval clx32 is great and cheap. but you are right. when wet they are fastest bc u won’t stop lol
will try latest 3.4

provlem is with milenstein so narrow any other wheels
i run i
habe to take our
shim kn caliper to get wheels in ugh
Old 01-01-2018 | 05:36 PM
wurlie
Rennlist Member

another rider
and congrats on ur R!
I had NK1k with super record direct mount. and the 2018 tarmac safe also doexrr mount now. direct are way better than the old center mount stuff there is enough stopping power except when raining and mostly i’m just inteimguwdnwith disc i had rhem
on mtb but curious on road.

how do u like nk1k. of the rb800, rb1k and nk1k, I like
rb1k the most. i have 4000 miles or so on each frame. all had super record
and mielenstein. rb1k has insanelynshirt head rubs. I need35mm stack but it was fast. nk1k is not as aggro geo as rb1k
and heavier.
provlem is with milenstein so narrow any other wheels
i run i
habe to take our
shim kn caliper to get wheels in ugh
Thanks Mooty - bikes, hifi, Porsche - lots of common ground!
I agree regarding the brake setup with different wheels - my Obermayers are throwing it all out of kilt, too.
The new brake track on 454NSW works impeccably even in the rain.
I like NK1K a lot, it is the most solid bike of all. I crashed with it into a friend when our little peloton had to make an emergency stop. Only superfluous cosmetic damage. It does not go well with the Lightweights, the ride is too rough. It could be down to the 25mm tubes. NK1K is similar to Tarmac in that it is a superb all-rounder, with a lean towards flat riding, whereas Tarmac leans more towards climbing. NK1K with Gokiso is sublime.

Bringing this back to the topic of value - it is the law of diminishing returns, however to those that care to learn and appreciate the nuance in performance differential and can afford it, it is very rewarding to experience it, whether in bikes, wheels, hi-fi equipment, anything else (gastronomy comes to mind) or, ultimately - Porsches.

Best, w
Old 01-01-2018 | 06:18 PM
JAhmed
Drifting

This thread is truly amazing. While I don't have any road bikes, this really makes me miss riding my mountain bike...I gotta dust the thing off.
Old 01-01-2018 | 07:18 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

wurlie

agree on nk1k for rolling terrain while tarmac for climbing I do about 100’/mile.

so new zipp nsw and new enve 3.4

I did have lwt on nk1k with 23mm tubular vittoria corsa. not super smooth but doesn’t beat me up too bad so I let it
go. look forward to try new hoops
Old 01-01-2018 | 11:42 PM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Originally Posted by RajDatta
Would love to pick your brain on the Canyon. I am looking at Canyon CF SLX disc but have to wait till feb as they are backordered. I considered taking the Sram Etap but just can't get myself to go back to Sram after switching to Shimano.
Ironically, the disc bike will not be available on the top of the line DA and only as an Ultegra or as an ETap. Very excited about the bike. I also have a 2016 Cervelo R5 that will be used for hills and mixing rides. Where I live, it's primarily flat so the Canyon would work great in getting some additional speed.
I ordered the Canyon frame 3 years ago on the recommendation of a good friend. I studied the geometry and thought it would be a good fit for me and it really is. I'm 6'3" so every frame I have had is the largest so I almost never am able to test ride a bike. I ordered the frame, had it shipped to another friend in Germany and he brought it to the States on business trip. I waited awhile until I could build it up with pre-production eTap. I have been on SRAM Red forever and have not used electronic Shimano, but the eTap is fantastic IMO. Hope I never have to go back to mechanical shifting again. As an aside, I would not have a PDK Porsche but I don't want a mechanical shifting bike.
Last summer I was able to finally test ride a bike. Our local shop sponsored a Giant factory test day. The company reps actually had the largest TCR Advanced frame test bike. All the bikes had disc brakes so I was eager to try these out. Much to my dismay I discovered that my left heal was routinely hitting the wider left side chain stay because of the rear disc brake. Not sure if I would have this problem with other disc bike frames but I certainly wouldn't buy one without a test ride after that experience.
Old 01-01-2018 | 11:55 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

never going back to mecahnical shifting.
had EPS and now Di2. will try E tap next
the build without wires is certainly cleaner.
Old 01-02-2018 | 03:17 AM
wurlie
Rennlist Member

eTap on a custom built titanium frame (or any other material without the unnecessary holes) is a thing of beauty.
It is a crying shame that SRAM does not have direct mount brakes.
best, w
Old 01-02-2018 | 09:34 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

never going back to mecahnical shifting.
had EPS and now Di2. will try E tap next
the build without wires is certainly cleaner.
You have been warned, you will miss the buttery smooth shimano shifting. I run Di2 as well but just can't get myself to go back to Sram. I love their wireless feature and it is the lightest gripping. Sram was never as quiet or as smooth as Shimano.

Quick Reply: just got back, let's discuss value of porsches