Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 LWB Option

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 09:02 PM
SIC 58
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 991.2 GT3 LWB Option

What is the best way to get PORSCHE to get rid of the stripe on the LWB seats? I was quoted $8500 today on my build to remove it. I know others are out there who also think it is chintzy. I said no and either PORSCHE gets the message and deletes it from builds or I do it myself after delivery. Not whining, just trying to get it right.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:13 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 275 Likes on 116 Posts

The reason why it's $8,500 is through CXX you are basically entitled to completely redo the seat and inserts to your liking, when all you really want to do is get "less" of a seat than is standard.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:13 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm in the same boat. Also confirmed the $8500 for the Porsche Exclusive custom tailoring option on the seats. I will probably go that direction, because then you can have them do anything you want to the seats all included in that price (houndstooth or any color leather or alcantara inserts instead of standard black alcantara, any color leather bolsters on sides and back rests and headrest instead of black, any color stitching or piping, anything or nothing on the headrests like GT3 script and/or Porsche crest). It's not as if you have to pay $8500 and all you get is the stripe deleted.

Having said that, of all you want is the stripe deleted, I was told by a Porsche Exclusive design consultant at PEC Atlanta 3 weeks ago that the stripe delete will likely be included with the soon-to-be optional deviated stitching package that will make deviated stitching throughout the interior available in colors other than the standard platinum silver or the currently optional Guards Red, which are the two colors the offending stripe are keyed to.

That is, opt for the deviated stitching package in, say, yellow, and boom, the seat stripe disappears and the standard LWB seat inserts go back to plain black alcantara as they were standard on the 991.1 GT3 and RS. The cost: about $5600 (final price to be determined by mid-June, but that was the price for it on the 991.1 GT3 RS, according to the same Porsche rep I spoke with again today by phone). Cheaper than $8500, and you get all the stitching on the interior that would normally be platinum silver in the deviated color you choose.

What's unlikely, unfortunately, is Porsche offering a free or cheap stripe delete option for the LWBs.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:28 PM
mrhamamg
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Subscribed...

This would be a game changer. I've been back and forth with my SA all week about figuring out if they can do carmine red stitching instead of guards red stitching. How do they expect people to order carmine or any color for that matter but get LWBs with guards red writing and stitching? I don't understand why its not available yet. My build locks in July I hope it is available by then.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:36 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Really? I thought you could just select the no-cost option to delete the stripe?
Old 05-10-2017, 09:44 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Really? I thought you could just select the no-cost option to delete the stripe?
Atleast that's what AP certainly said in one of his reviews.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:47 PM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The inserts are easy to replicate. I'll make you a pair for half off of $8500. They just velcro in.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:50 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,293 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhamamg
Subscribed...

This would be a game changer. I've been back and forth with my SA all week about figuring out if they can do carmine red stitching instead of guards red stitching. How do they expect people to order carmine or any color for that matter but get LWBs with guards red writing and stitching? I don't understand why its not available yet. My build locks in July I hope it is available by then.
Why would Porsche bother with another slightly different red stitch (CR), for GT cars when it's so very close to guards red. No one, unprompted, will ever look at GR stitching in a car with exterior painted CR, and cry out......."it doesn't match"!

Last edited by Drifting; 05-10-2017 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:06 PM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Porsche is a master in pulling money from customers pockets.
I bet you that if those stripes were option people would be paying to actually have them.

Same with standard colors and option colors. Swap the prices and people line up to pay more for now standard colors as more expensive is more special.

Wheels. Platinum was standard and they look owesome. Porsche again realized that it's a huge money maker in .2.

More? What is the difference in painting LEDs in silver/platinum or black? Although back cost much more.

I know I haven't discovered America here but I had itching to mantion it. I am gonna leave as little money as possible at the dealers :-)
Old 05-10-2017, 10:07 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Couple things:

1. yes porsche has done carmine red stitching...all the GTS cars (911, Cayman, Boxster, Cayenne, Macan). It's the red stitching you get on those cars when you pick the GTS Interior Package. So yes, presumably Carmine Red deviated stitching would be an available color with the soon-to-be-optional Deviated Stitching package.

2. The Porsche Exclusive design consultant told me today by email that "This option is expected for calendar week 45", that is, allocations for that production week and after. The confirmation of availability is expected by "mid-June" (June 13 was the date she repeated to me specifically in an earlier meeting), which has to do with Porsche Germany completing its internal "testing" of the various other options requests it has received, including that.

So you should know before your July order lock date about what deviated stitching options will be available to order and exactly what they will cost and include (such as the seat stripe delete, presumably). But if your allocation is for a production date before calendar week 45, you may not be able to order it for your car.

3. As for the comment AP made in the interview at launch about the stripe delete (and other matters, like the "touring" option, etc.), the Porsche Exclusive rep I met with a few weeks ago and who is my source for all this info said a lot of folks within Porsche believe AP made some erroneous statements in that interview.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:17 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Custom tailored LWB seats in Zeder leather.
Custom tailored LWB seats in black leather with acid green piping (instead of stitching) and black/silver houndstooth inserts.
911 R seats in black leather with standard platinum silver stitching and black/silver houndstooth inserts.
911 R seats in brown (forget the name of the brown) leather with black/silver houndstooth and standard platinum silver stitching.
Custom tailored LWB seats in a Boxster Spyder in black leather with black/silver houndstooth inserts, platinum silver stitching and Spyder script on the headrest.
Samples of the two different colors of houndstooth offered (oyster/agate shown against agate leather, and black/silver against black leather; both originally offered on the 911 50th Anniversary) and black leather with acid green piping (originally offered on the 918 Spyder).
Old 05-10-2017, 10:23 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

This fun houndstooth "made by hand" mural covers a whole wall in the small cafe at PEC Atlanta. Given its size and the price Porsche charges for the houndstooth inserts, I chuckled while photographing it thinking this thing must have cost about $200K to make.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:29 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

^want it all. Good things come to those who don't get an early allocation!!
Old 05-10-2017, 10:31 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis
This fun houndstooth "made by hand" mural covers a whole wall in the small cafe at PEC Atlanta. Given its size and the price Porsche charges for the houndstooth inserts, I chuckled while photographing it thinking this thing must have cost about $200K to make.

Where was that? I was just there today and didn't see that!

Name:  IMG_4034.jpg
Views: 3744
Size:  241.0 KB

918 moving through the reception area on E Power!
Old 05-10-2017, 10:34 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by montoya
Where was that? I was just there today and didn't see that!

Attachment 1164391

918 moving through the reception area on E Power!
inside rhe "Porsche 911 Carrera Cafe", which is on the main level directly underneath the 356 restaurant. You walk theu the cafe to access the big veranda overlooking the track.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 LWB Option