Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 of 1 MANUAL 991 GT3RS. THE CAR PORSCHE DIDN'T BUILD, BUT I DID!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 07:24 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 142 Posts

A manual 991.2 GT2RS? That would be awesome and probably kill somebody. It must be done!!
Old 07-15-2017, 12:56 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

There was an interesting interview last year with Gerd Bofinger that says a whole lot of nothing but mostly, "We believe there will be continued demand for manual transmissions. As long as this is the case, we will meet this demand...". So all is not lost!
Old 07-15-2017, 02:01 PM
RJGT3RS
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
There was an interesting interview last year with Gerd Bofinger that says a whole lot of nothing but mostly, "We believe there will be continued demand for manual transmissions. As long as this is the case, we will meet this demand...". So all is not lost!

Grest article, thank you for sharing. Starts at page 39.
nice to see Porsche isn't planning on ditching the manaul. Also other interesting reads in there. Thanks again.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:31 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

I'm more concerned about the naturally aspirated engine staying alive than the manual. I know this has been beaten to death, but I do wonder how porsche or any brand will continue to keep its "premium" NA offerings ahead of its run of the mill turbo cars, when the latter outperform so easily on paper.

Previously, I would have bet that NA+ hybrid was surely going to be the next step for Porsche (as it is for Ferrari with its v12 line) in order to keep the performance hierarchy intact, but now it seems that isn't the case with the 992. So how will the 992 GT3 stay ahead of its lesser bretheren?

Maybe this is OT.. just a musing that's all.

One thing is for sure... the OP has wagged Pavlov.. Porsche has taken notice of the lengths dedicated owners will go to to get their manual in whatever car they please.. this story is as good as it gets on rennlist.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:25 PM
cmjohnson
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree, this event can only be good for the cause of the manual transmission. OK, it MIGHT be a wee bit slower than a PDK but frankly the vast majority of driving enthusiasts are not going to be banking on the difference to win races. That's simply not an issue unless you're a pro racer and your chosen weapon is a Cup car.

Personally I'm LESS concerned about the possible upcoming end of naturally aspirated engines. That is not a motivating factor for me, in fact I like the idea of getting more torque and power out of a given engine although it does change the exhaust note somewhat to put a turbo into the mix.

I'm not that hung up on the exhaust system's sound anyway. In fact I prefer a QUIET exhaust. I'd rather sneak up on someone and pass him without him even knowing I'm there until I'm past him, than give him audible warning from a quarter mile away.

The transition from air cooled to water cooled engines did not, to the surprise of a few purists, kill the 911 and Porsche along with it.

I don't believe that transitioning to forced induction across the whole model range is going to kill it, either.

All I see is that this year's BASE model Carrera, factory stock with NO added options, is 370 horsepower! And 420 for a Carrera S!

I don't care if theyr'e getting those numbers by magic, turbochargers, or alien technology. I like it!

I'd rather have that power than an "unmuted" exhaust system.

And they do come with both PDK and manual options.

I don't expect the manual transmission to be going away any time soon. The focus of this topic is likely, in my opinion, to cause Porsche to offer manuals on every model going forward.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:34 PM
CHADW
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I would guess the natural progression for the manual while being performance oriented is like the racing sequentials where you change gears without the clutch pedal. These are lighter than PDK, just need to solve the part throttle jerkiness.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:49 PM
LSs1Power
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I'm more concerned about the naturally aspirated engine staying alive than the manual. I know this has been beaten to death, but I do wonder how porsche or any brand will continue to keep its "premium" NA offerings ahead of its run of the mill turbo cars, when the latter outperform so easily on paper.

Previously, I would have bet that NA+ hybrid was surely going to be the next step for Porsche (as it is for Ferrari with its v12 line) in order to keep the performance hierarchy intact, but now it seems that isn't the case with the 992. So how will the 992 GT3 stay ahead of its lesser bretheren?

Maybe this is OT.. just a musing that's all.

One thing is for sure... the OP has wagged Pavlov.. Porsche has taken notice of the lengths dedicated owners will go to to get their manual in whatever car they please.. this story is as good as it gets on rennlist.
My reading on this is that 992.1 GT3 Porsche will use the same 4.0 engine pushing 991.2 GT3RS numbers 525-530HP. In 992.2 GT3 Porsche will use the same 4.0 engine plus an electric motor driving rear wheels only pushing between 550-560HP GT3 version and 575-580HP in RS version. This means no more manuals as battery regeneration wouldn't work with a Manual.

For NA manual models, Porsche will have to create a R like model that will eventually be slower than the lesser Carreras and target pure driving pleasure and not speed.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:23 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,315 Likes on 689 Posts

I don't see Porsche doing a hybrid 992 GT3. The 991.2 GT3 is in huge demand because it is NA, fairly light, and has manual option. A hybrid would destroy all 3 of the things we love about GT cars.

It doesn't matter if the 992 GTS is 5 seconds faster around the Ring than the 992 GT3. People will line up for miles to purchase the GT3, not the GTS.

Porsche won't change the essentials about GT cars if they continue to sell them easily.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:04 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Yea but once the gts is faster you think that will still hold??
Old 07-16-2017, 03:05 AM
RJGT3RS
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it probably would, mostly because the cars are set up so differently from each other. The GT3/RS cars offer a completely different delivery of the driving experience and road feel from rest of the model line up. Very aggressive in every manner and I think thats the experience the customers who choose to by these particular models look for. The GTS may because of a touch more power be able to pull off a little bit quicker lap time in the hands of a professional around a circuit doesn't necessarily mean the way it did it would appeal to GT3 crowd. Perfect example being the Turbo S vs. GT3RS comparison Jethro did where they both pulled equal lap times around the track. Didn't deter the RS buyers one bit (at least I think) from scooping them up. I know my 997.2RS is bested by almost 12 seconds compared to the GTS but I wouldn't trade the character and driving feel of that car for the new "ring hot lap" special ever. Sorry man, just rambling on 😉
Old 07-16-2017, 03:07 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

GT3 will still be a much more visceral and involving experience.

Driving the turbo Carreras is like piloting a sterile, clinical, rocketship.
Fast but boring.

There's always going to be a faster car, but there's not always going to be a car that's more fun to drive, that sounds great, involving, and light on its feet, that also take a track beating without breaking a sweat, like a NA GT3.

Last edited by Drifting; 07-16-2017 at 04:10 AM.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:19 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Also, Ring times aren't that critical to many buyers. Hp and 0-60 times are still the 2 things all guys report to their friends. 992 GTS won't surpass the 992 GT3 versions in either metric, and the GT cars will be much more involving and fun to drive.

I'm not worried about the path of GT cars for the 992 generation.

I am a little worried about the generation after the 992s, 9 years or so from now. By then the turbo Carreras will be very powerful and likely will surpass the HP and 0-60 of the NA GT3, hybrid tech will have improved significantly, and emission regulations more onerous than now. I think France was going to ban all gas powered cars by 2040.

So I plan to buy a .2 GT3 next year, skip the 992.1 GT3, and then buy a 992.2 GT3 which may be the last of its kind.

Last edited by Drifting; 07-16-2017 at 05:40 AM.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:34 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Nice dissertation. We'll have some serious time to discuss in SF over dinner next week
Old 07-16-2017, 08:22 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by RJGT3RS
Awesome, she wrote a nice article. the comments are really funny on her page, for some reason this manual conversion triggered all the playstation generation kids who love paddles. everyone talking lap times and how much slower we've made the car, lol !!! Think they should go back to playing Forza.
Message board trolls on car websites ...

Name:  photo318.jpg
Views: 1532
Size:  446.9 KB

Name:  photo590.jpg
Views: 1329
Size:  789.6 KB

Name:  photo886.jpg
Views: 1331
Size:  684.4 KB
Old 07-16-2017, 01:25 PM
Nick
Race Car

Received 197 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
GT3 will still be a much more visceral and involving experience.

Driving the turbo Carreras is like piloting a sterile, clinical, rocketship.
Fast but boring.

There's always going to be a faster car, but there's not always going to be a car that's more fun to drive, that sounds great, involving, and light on its feet, that also take a track beating without breaking a sweat, like a NA GT3.
+1

I went from a 991Turbo cab to a .1GT3 and back to a .2Targa (I like open air driving). After 8 months of the Targa which I loved I recognized it could not provide the driving experience of the GT3. So I sold the Targa and ordered a .2GT3. The Turbo experience provides tremendous speed and torque but little by way of excitement compared to the GT3.

I would take a GT3 hybrid over a turbo'ed car.

Quick Reply: 1 of 1 MANUAL 991 GT3RS. THE CAR PORSCHE DIDN'T BUILD, BUT I DID!