59.52%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

991.2GT3; Track It vs. Street Driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 10:31 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

The main impediment to tracking the car is your car insurance will not cover damages incurred while using it at the track. You can buy separate insurance but usually there are high deductibles and limited coverage.

Many will say I don't need the coverage because I am a good and save driver but more often than not collisions on the track is the fault of some other driver.

So being stupid and not tracking your $175,000 car may be pretty smart.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:35 AM
JRidge
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is hard to answer accurately given the limitations of the poll because in my case it is "both." I've done club racing in the past and dealt with tow vehicles and trailers and race tires, etc. and just got tired of it all. So in getting my GT4 first, and now trading up to GT3, my goal was to have a car I could drive 4 hours to the track, enjoy on the track, and drive back home. And even DD if I want. So, the reason I chose a GT3 over, say, a GTS is clearly for track work, I may put 12,000 miles a year on it and only 1,000 of those will be on track. So the main "reason" I got it is track but the main "use" will be street. And I wouldn't want it at all if it wasn't well suited for both.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:45 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,287 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by JRidge
This is hard to answer accurately given the limitations of the poll because in my case it is "both." I've done club racing in the past and dealt with tow vehicles and trailers and race tires, etc. and just got tired of it all. So in getting my GT4 first, and now trading up to GT3, my goal was to have a car I could drive 4 hours to the track, enjoy on the track, and drive back home. And even DD if I want. So, the reason I chose a GT3 over, say, a GTS is clearly for track work, I may put 12,000 miles a year on it and only 1,000 of those will be on track. So the main "reason" I got it is track but the main "use" will be street. And I wouldn't want it at all if it wasn't well suited for both.
Well said. This is how I look at it.

Virtuality no one does >85% of their miles on the track so this poll is useless.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:48 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

How many will rave about the car and then sell it 4-8 months later with less than 300 miles on it? Never understood how someone can rave about a car they never drove.
Maybe they like rave about how they got the car for 'free', but they really didn't get anything out of the car either....
Old 05-03-2017, 11:09 AM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 109 Posts

You know it is fun to get new cars regardless of the reason. That's what we are supposed to do. We have to find interests and some way to throw money away. I think I waxed philosophical.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:46 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

delete
Old 05-03-2017, 12:04 PM
ChicagoM4
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Mostly street, maybe 1 track per year @ COTA

I've already planned some trips for the GT3

- Delivery at PEC LA and take Highway 1
- Texas Hill Country
- Natchez trace
- Dragon and surrounding areas
Old 05-03-2017, 12:16 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Drive the car however you want, but just drive the damn thing. Too many people are garage queening them. I plan to do 5-6 track days a year and the rest street miles. Probably 3-4000 miles a year if I have time.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:33 PM
BCMgunner
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm sure my car will see COTA at some point, only 1.5 hours away.

As I live at the foot of the Texas Hill country, most of its glorious, manually shifted, miles will be there. Zipping along with the local PCA or chauffeuring my wife from winery to winery.

We all work hard for our GTs. Nice to have such a great car to look forward to on the weekends.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:53 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

12-15 track days a year, but I also feel that these GT cars are what Porsche's should feel and drive like, meaning a regular Carrera , C2S or turbo doesn't feel to me what Porsche is all about, even as a DD, I think The GT cars are what Ferry meant them to be
Old 05-03-2017, 01:11 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Poll should have gradients, rather than an either/or. If I get a GT3, I expect that I will track it 1-3 times a year, but most of the miles would be street miles. I find that the track can be fun, but can also get old after a while. I enjoyed it on motos a lot more when I did it more sparingly and kept it special. When I started going 6-8 times a year, I got burned out and started feeling like I was just going through the motions. As someone with a job on Monday and kids depending on me, I would only push so hard and once I reached that limit, it was just an exercise in circling. Still fun, if I did it once in a while, but not fun doing it every 3-4 weeks all summer. I think 3 times a year is the magic number for me.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:14 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
When I started going 6-8 times a year, I got burned out and started feeling like I was just going through the motions.
Were you timing yourself? When trying to improve my personal best, I find the level of interest intensifies (and hasn't faded in almost 20 years).

It is also very dependent on the car - some do get boring after a time, while others remain challenging for many years (I suspect a 991.2 GT3 may fall into the latter category, especially with Manual).
Old 05-03-2017, 01:44 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Well if I can get the manual in PTS 92U (please! hahah) I'm definitely tracking the crap out of it and beat on it like it was meant to be. Why? Can't really enjoy these newer cars on the street much at the limit and once you've been there, and well beyond every now and again (remember Chuckie CJ? lol), you're not experiencing the full magic of the car.

The old cars, they are awesome on the street. And well, fun on track too. Lower limits, more visceral feeling of "feeling fast".
Old 05-03-2017, 01:51 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BCMgunner
I'm sure my car will see COTA at some point, only 1.5 hours away.

As I live at the foot of the Texas Hill country, most of its glorious, manually shifted, miles will be there. Zipping along with the local PCA or chauffeuring my wife from winery to winery.

We all work hard for our GTs. Nice to have such a great car to look forward to on the weekends.
I've heard the wineries outside of Austin are getting better and better.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:14 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 211 Posts

I just traded my 991 TTS for a PTS Targa 4S for my wife and have signed an order for a 2018 GT3. My thinking was driving the GT3 a couple of times a week with DE/ track days three or four times a year was the perfect mix to enjoy this car. What I am reading from journalists in early testing is - no doubt - a fantastic track toy, but comfortable enough for a weekend away or a trip to the office and back. I am so mixed on PDK VS STICK.....in that I love the stick but I have a 993TT whenever I want to slap the gears around..and thinking track day for a GT3 in commuter traffic I might like the simplicity of the PDK - and is that ever a slick piece of technology. Fast forward to selling the GT3 in four years, I have to wonder what car is more desirable to the market with the purists longing for a stick sure but the die hard track guys will want PDK (I think). Not that I am buying to sell - but rather I am so on the fence I could be talked into either. Talk about needing a Porsche therapist.....

Quick Reply: 991.2GT3; Track It vs. Street Driving