Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

991.2GT3; Track It vs. Street Driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 02:23 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Were you timing yourself? When trying to improve my personal best, I find the level of interest intensifies (and hasn't faded in almost 20 years).
Most of the time I used a lap timer, but once I got to my comfort limit (slow half of the fast group), I didn't try to improve my time any further. Pushing harder and the risk would rise to a level that I wasn't comfortable with as an amateur with a day job. Bikes are a lot different than cars in that respect IMO.

A lot of it had to do with my braking style as well, which was suited to going quick and being smooth but not to going fast.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:34 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Overdraft
I just traded my 991 TTS for a PTS Targa 4S for my wife and have signed an order for a 2018 GT3. My thinking was driving the GT3 a couple of times a week with DE/ track days three or four times a year was the perfect mix to enjoy this car. What I am reading from journalists in early testing is - no doubt - a fantastic track toy, but comfortable enough for a weekend away or a trip to the office and back. I am so mixed on PDK VS STICK.....in that I love the stick but I have a 993TT whenever I want to slap the gears around..and thinking track day for a GT3 in commuter traffic I might like the simplicity of the PDK - and is that ever a slick piece of technology. Fast forward to selling the GT3 in four years, I have to wonder what car is more desirable to the market with the purists longing for a stick sure but the die hard track guys will want PDK (I think). Not that I am buying to sell - but rather I am so on the fence I could be talked into either. Talk about needing a Porsche therapist.....
Unless you have a crystal ball that can tell you the future (Please give me Lotto Max numbers for next 60 million draw, )
Buy what will "tickle your *****" (Credit for this term goes to another member in another thread)

Old 05-03-2017, 03:50 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 621 Posts

Not buying one unfortunately, GT3 is a solid DD but it's meant to be tracked. My RS is taking the full load of track work and loving it. If you buy a GT3 at least track it one time so you understand what your car can do.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:51 PM
CSLSuperfan
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Exactly- That is why i am getting one and using it for spirited street driving. It is my money and I can do what I want with it. That is how I reward Myself for my hard work and helps me decompress on weekends. Nothing better than being behind a race car enjoying the glorious roads and the rush it delivers

Agree 100% Jimmy with a caveat.

UK is littered with pesky mobile speed cameras and you have to box clever to avoid getting a ticket.
I've found that getting on the road by 0530 hours gives ample time to really drop the hammer.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:13 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Street - might get put on the track once or twice if my race car breaks as I'll do most the miles driving it to and from the track.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:20 PM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 79 Posts

Posted this on another thread but it applies here.

It seems to me, I state the obvious, that to extract the most out the 1.2 GT3, the PDK is the way to go for the track. I like that some have a .1 GT3 RS and will keep that for track duty and have the 1.2 GT3 for, if you will, as an awesome manual car. Alternatively, if one picked up a manual GT4 for the manual fix, a PDK .2 GT3 would be best served in a track environment, but not only.

I wonder how many 1.2 GT3' s will actually spend a lot of time on the track. In my case, track time will be at most, if lucky, half a dozen times for a year for a variety of reasons. So track time is a bonus for me to drive my car in an environment where I can work on my limited track skills and use my urge to move quickly in the proper location and have a blast. I owned a 997.2 GT3 for five years and used it the same way in which I will use the 991.2 GT3. The car will mostly be a "street" car and the manual fits the bill perfectly. Really, if I was a track junkie, interested in fast lap times, to go faster than the next guy as my goal or as simply as fast as possible, the PDK is the way to order the car IMO.

I imagine that we will see plenty of manual cars outrunning the PDK versions on the track because of different skill levels of the driver...

So, mostly street use, I'm sticking to the manual version, can't wait!

Last edited by Nacelle; 05-04-2017 at 01:00 AM.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:24 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,981 Likes on 2,268 Posts

I have tracked all of my GT cars and will continue to track all future GT cars that buy.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:27 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 109 Posts

Has anyone done the math on their particular track to determine the real difference between the MT and PDK. I have done a lap with a Porsche factory driver and I could not outdrive him with a nitrous turbo (if they exist).
Old 05-03-2017, 05:01 PM
80s
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
I also feel that these GT cars are what Porsche's should feel and drive like, meaning a regular Carrera , C2S or turbo doesn't feel to me what Porsche is all about, even as a DD, I think The GT cars are what Ferry meant them to be

I can actually see AP saying these exact words in the next gt3 video.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:18 PM
b46
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Decompressing on weekend drives/couple of long road trips/4-6 DE events per year. As long as you're having fun doesn't matter how it's used...
Old 05-03-2017, 09:28 PM
BCMgunner
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 80s

I can actually see AP saying these exact words in the next gt3 video.
In an EVO video discussing the 911R, AP states that the "R is the FIRST of a new division of GT focused for PUREST" (paraphrased closely).

Sounds like there are now "two divisions" of GT... a purest and a track focused. The R was the "First" so all these spy shots of wingless GT cars should not be a surprise.

The .2 3 fits nicely in both categories depending on your spec.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:00 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

^My Gosh does that GT3 look freakin awesome.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:19 PM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Well if I can get the manual in PTS 92U (please! hahah) .

So I'm wondering which one you get if no Arctic PTS:
GT Silber or Guards Red?
Old 05-03-2017, 10:22 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
How many will rave about the car and then sell it 4-8 months later with less than 300 miles on it? Never understood how someone can rave about a car they never drove.
Maybe they like rave about how they got the car for 'free', but they really didn't get anything out of the car either....
So true Joe.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:27 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,981 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Originally Posted by qbix
getting GT3 and NOT tracking it is plain stupid.
Originally Posted by JRidge
This is hard to answer accurately given the limitations of the poll because in my case it is "both." I've done club racing in the past and dealt with tow vehicles and trailers and race tires, etc. and just got tired of it all. So in getting my GT4 first, and now trading up to GT3, my goal was to have a car I could drive 4 hours to the track, enjoy on the track, and drive back home. And even DD if I want. So, the reason I chose a GT3 over, say, a GTS is clearly for track work, I may put 12,000 miles a year on it and only 1,000 of those will be on track. So the main "reason" I got it is track but the main "use" will be street. And I wouldn't want it at all if it wasn't well suited for both.
I've never club raced and never will as I'm not an aggressive passer, but I understand what you are saying. I have no desire and not a lot of time to trailer a car myself, I much rather drive it up to the local tracks or pay someone to do "arrive & drive" service for me. DE/private track days are my way of blowing off steam and having some fun.

Quick Reply: 991.2GT3; Track It vs. Street Driving