Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Manual on track.
Old 05-04-2017 | 08:09 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Kobalt
I didn't ask about that, sorry.
Ok, sounded a bit weird that gt2 would be offered in both gt2 and gt2rs models. But, not the first time I would be surprised.

Enjoy the ring. Seems like you're having a lot of fun.
Old 05-04-2017 | 08:29 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Incredible ring time. So, what about all those articles saying it was slower than the .1? This is what everyone wanted to hear. Well done Porsche.
Old 05-04-2017 | 09:07 PM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Very impressive time. Wow.
Old 05-04-2017 | 09:56 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Haven't seen this one posted yet. Motorweek, with road driving. Manual...

Old 05-04-2017 | 10:47 PM
HNSC4S
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishAndy
Haven't seen this one posted yet. Motorweek, with road driving. Manual...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vrJTrOv_tt0

i find motorweek refreshing in a world of screaming reviewers and rich kids blathering on...
Old 05-04-2017 | 11:55 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,185 Likes on 5,296 Posts

The more I read the reviews of the 991.2 GT3 MT, the more happy I am that I am ordering the PDK, and didn't wait around for Sept.
Old 05-05-2017 | 12:03 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,350 Likes on 712 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The more I read the reviews of the 991.2 GT3 MT, the more happy I am that I am ordering the PDK, and didn't wait around for Sept.
Why is that? I thought most reviews praised the manual.
Old 05-05-2017 | 12:07 AM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The more I read the reviews of the 991.2 GT3 MT, the more happy I am that I am ordering the Manual. Honestly I'd wait until Sept 2026. I'd take the last one off the line... Scratches on the paint where they'd swung the bottle of Moët at it...

At that point it'd probably be the last manual sold, and 'ED' will probably have a completely different meaning for me. Don't care at all. Want the manual.
Old 05-05-2017 | 09:41 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,467 Likes on 766 Posts

^Porsche not done with the Manual in "GT" cars. May even see that option in the next RS- Although, according to RS Owners this would now be sacrilegious
Old 05-05-2017 | 09:49 AM
JonA85
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts

Yellow with black wheels makes me weak.
Old 05-05-2017 | 10:26 AM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
^Porsche not done with the Manual in "GT" cars. May even see that option in the next RS- Although, according to RS Owners this would now be sacrilegious
Agreed. They'll spread the development costs of this new box over as many units as possible, but I have no doubt it makes the car s a higher margin unit given that it's a no cost option.

They've blurred so many lines with the marketing, though... "GT3 is the track car and it needs PDK for the best lap times", then the GT4 came along and eyes were opened. Then the R. Now apparently the GT3 is allowed to be marketed as a fun road car again...

which makes the RS the ultimate track car in there eyes? It's no longer the version that's most closely linked to motorsports, but is still more special and with more exotic materials... and it's still normally aspirated, so where's an element that is still there for excitement and enjoyment...

...and it won't be the most ruthless track weapon because the GT2 is back.

...and then that will be upstaged by a hybrid with torque fill... and all the N/A cars will be viewed as enthusiast cars where ultimate lap times aren't important.

It all seemed so clear with 997s... Now you just choose the car and spec that suits you and ignore the market placement and badging, which will probably be reworked for the next model anyway.
Old 05-05-2017 | 10:39 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Two reasons that it's unlikely the RS will get MT.
1. Emissions,
2. They want it as fast as possible.
Old 05-05-2017 | 12:01 PM
Cay_PI
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 80 Posts

Look at the tires... 5° camber ;D
Old 05-05-2017 | 01:18 PM
fun2k
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From sportauto with help from google translate:

What speaks for the PDK in the 911 GT3:

Point 1 is banal, but clearly goes to the double clutch variant. This has more gears, namely 7 instead 6. This has already counted already with racing bikes: more gears, more prestige. The translation of the PDK is hardly longer. But it simply has more often the better suited course ready. In an engine without supercharging with the correspondingly less bullious torque characteristics quite an argument.

Point 2 has more to do with the driver: thanks to the electrically actuated gear changes, switches can be used - to operate the steering wheel jacks, the GT3 pilot does not have to take the hands off the wheel. On the race track a clear advantage. There, the less experienced cyclist can even leave the gear shifting completely to the dual clutch transmission: in the sports mode it turns so power-oriented that one would hardly lose time.

Point 3: The shifting times are shorter compared to manual changes made by a less knowledgeable hand, especially the lack of traction, which also carries a little unrest in the car, especially when there is only one hand behind the wheel.

Point 4: Overall, it is easier with PDK to drive fast on the track. If you do not run in manual mode, there is no danger of turning into the limiter.

Point 5: With PDK and its launch control, the PDK car accelerates from standstill to 100 km / h 0.5 seconds faster. A prestige perhaps, but an important one.
Point 6: Porsche also uses the electric hydraulics of the PDK to electronically regulate the rear axle crossbar. This is good for the performance because it improves the traction and makes fewer interventions of the PSM necessary. In fact, during our test drives, the PSM light did not light up during guided rounds on the race track in the PDK car. In the manual switch, however, this was three times the case.

Point 7: Porsche will offer the handset in the GT3 at the same price as the PDK. In fact, it was not quite cheap to develop a manual gearbox for the GT3 and the amount of parts on the PDK is limited by comparison. In fact, the future GT3 customer with PDK is buying more technology, for the same money - in addition to the PDK, the electronic cross barrier is also on board.

Point 8: The PDK benefits not only on the race track: Finally, the driver does not have to switch even in the road traffic, for example in the city or in the traffic jam. In the automatic mode the software takes over. This brings more comfort in everyday life and lets GT3 drivers use their car more often. At least, the annual mileage of the GT3 customers since the 991 (1) with exclusively PDK according to Porsche have grown considerably. While predecessors on average were moved about 8,000 kilometers per year, the number now goes to 16,000.

What is the manual transmission
Point 1: Always a topic for a race-proven sports car: the manual transmission is 14 kilograms lighter.

Point 2: With a dry instead of two wet couplings, it has less power loss. Theoretically, therefore, it is also more economical. Of course, this depends on the shift strategies of the driver - as the automatic is generally superior. According to GT project manager Andreas Preuniger, the new GT3 would by the way be about 10 percent more economical than its predecessor. But in determining the cycle consumption, Super E10 must now be fueled with less energy content, while the predecessor could still use E5 to measure the consumption.

Point 3: Less power loss also means: Even more direct connection between engine and wheels. This is quite noticeable and simply more suitable for such a narrow, high-revving suction motor.

Point 4: The improved efficiency of the manual switch is reflected even in its 2 km / h higher final speed. Even a prestige, but an advantage. Especially since the acceleration of the PDK is only really faster from the state. Intermediate acceleration, even from low speeds, usually prevails, says Andreas Preuninger, who has tried several times with his colleagues.

Point 5: The fact that the hand switch does not have an electronically controlled lock is not only disadvantageous. The mechanical lock provides a more direct driving experience and, like the transmission itself, requires more of the driver. In this respect, the at least best fits.

Point 6: Porsche has also given another help to the hand switch: the intermediate gas function in sports mode. It works fine, as even Walter Röhrl admits - who does not need them like him, can just turn them off. But on the racetrack, it is a considerable relief for all those who do not want to brake while still braking with the tip of the foot.

Point 7: Porsche also wants the hand switch to be a feature that is only known from vehicles with an automated gearbox: On page 74 of the manual, a column deals with the use of the Launch Control with manual gearbox. The procedure should be straightforward: The road should be level and the engine should be warm, all control systems should be activated normally and then: First gear, hold clutch, wait until the speedometer is at 5,000 rpm, the note "Launch Control active "appears in the central display and release the clutch. In the test car, unfortunately, only partially worked: The speed gauge needle stood as firmly nailed to 5.000 / min, but the indication in the display did not appear. Releasing the clutch resulted in a rather unsightly tramping of the rear axle and not really a brisk start. But the manual transmission is not synonymous nor even orderable and the software just not yet on standard. If it is so far, we want to try it out.

Point 8: Not that we know about defects in the PDK - but who wants to drive his GT3 long and far, with the manual transmission would choose the more durable version. The technology is known, proven and manageable and there are simply fewer parts that can break down: a clutch less, no electrohydraulic and no control electronics.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 reviews thread.