Sponsored by:

PDK or Manual - Allocation Decision

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 02:30 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by VAUROS
The manual is def a dying breed, so if you want to experience one of the last great sports cars with a manual, then, yea, wait for it. Personally, I have ZERO to prove to anyone (or myself) at this point and I much rather have the best of both worlds in PDK-S.
So you think manual adopters have something to prove? Perhaps you think Jiu-Jitsu teaches aggression...
Old 05-17-2017, 02:59 PM
VAUROS
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
So you think manual adopters have something to prove? Perhaps you think Jiu-Jitsu teaches aggression...
Partially, yes, I do. I bought specific sports cars in the past because it only came in manual (for example, I use to own a Nismo Z). When I would meet up with Z owners that had autos, I was instantly the man because I had the Nismo version. High-end sports cars are 'ego' cars to some extent and us men we feel that clutching makes us more of a man. That's so old school thinking and is completely not the reason why manuals even exist. Manuals were created to give the drivers more control over performance and ultimately lap times. The natural evolution was dual-clutch transmissions that give you even faster performance and lap times (that's the point of a sports/race car, right?)

Let me ask you this, if somehow dual-clutch transmissions came to market before the manual and now manual was the new successor to the dual-clutch, would you still want one knowing that it would be slower and require more physical exertion?
Old 05-17-2017, 03:12 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by VAUROS
Partially, yes, I do. I bought specific sports cars in the past because it only came in manual (for example, I use to own a Nismo Z). When I would meet up with Z owners that had autos, I was instantly the man because I had the Nismo version. High-end sports cars are 'ego' cars to some extent and us men we feel that clutching makes us more of a man. That's so old school thinking and is completely not the reason why manuals even exist. Manuals were created to give the drivers more control over performance and ultimately lap times. The natural evolution was dual-clutch transmissions that give you even faster performance and lap times (that's the point of a sports/race car, right?)

Let me ask you this, if somehow dual-clutch transmissions came to market before the manual and now manual was the new successor to the dual-clutch, would you still want one knowing that it would be slower and require more physical exertion?
It's your opinion and I respect it,but I don't have to agree with it. The majority of manual drivers have nothing to prove,they just enjoy the experience.
The automatics have been around since the 40's and the double clutch automatic was introduced by Porsche in racing mid 80's. It was a " dog " of a transmission and wasn't ready for the street.
I like slower. It's like sex...take it slow : if you get too excited your partner will be very disappointed.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:30 PM
VAUROS
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the manual in no way, shape, or form. I've had them, enjoyed them, but now I'm just so addicted to dual-clutch technology. I had two GTR's previously and absolutely loved the transmission. I've never owned a Porsche and have never driven a PDK, so the GT3 will be my first Porsche and PDK and I'm expecting to be blown away by both the car and the PDK-S.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:21 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

One must not forget that 90% of the time the car will be driven in traffic. I for one cannot bear the thought of shifting in traffic. It would be enough to for me not to take the car for a drive or use it as a DD. I have been there, done that and sure don't want to do that again.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:30 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Right...
Get a GL550 with Airmatic suspension and hire a driver for traffic. It's so much fun getting stuck in traffic that way! It's actually enjoyable because you can sip a Martini without getting jiggled too much.
Sports cars are fun toys,not necessarily DDs. The occasional time you get stuck in traffic doesn't completely kill the experience for me. And I'm in Ny...
Old 05-17-2017, 05:41 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I made the mistake with my 991 of getting the PDK because it was what was available in the color I wanted, and assuming because it's faster and objectively better, I'd be happy with it.

However after a few years, I just can't get myself to enjoy driving it like I enjoy driving a manual. Don't make my mistake, work with your dealer and get the car you really want. There's no reason to settle for the car you enjoy less (whether that's manual or PDK).
Old 05-17-2017, 05:43 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Dewinator
I made the mistake with my 991 of getting the PDK because it was what was available in the color I wanted, and assuming because it's faster and objectively better, I'd be happy with it.

However after a few years, I just can't get myself to enjoy driving it like I enjoy driving a manual. Don't make my mistake, work with your dealer and get the car you really want. There's no reason to settle for the car you enjoy less (whether that's manual or PDK).
Very good example!
And dealers are pushing like crazy for pdk. I really don't understand why!
Old 05-17-2017, 06:01 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neanicu
Very good example!
And dealers are pushing like crazy for pdk. I really don't understand why!
Because manual devotees are seriously looking at Miata's for fun while being slow.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:18 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nick
Because manual devotees are seriously looking at Miata's for fun while being slow.
Have you driven a Miata? They are pretty terrific cars for the money. It's one brand inside a company that understands lightness is just as important(if not more important) as/(than)HP. I have even been passed by Miatas on track a couple of times and I'm not afraid to admit it. That's because I'm very slow and was concerned shifting gears manually. At the end of the DE the fast guys went to pick up their prizes. Unfortunately they've learned there are no prizes doing DEs. Then I woke up one day and decided I want to win races : I went to Porsche and asked them if they need a race driver. They've laughed in my face and told me they have 17 year olds faster than me. So I've decided to continue living my life being slow.
True story.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:18 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Yes, I have driven Miata's and they are a blast. That's why I am puzzled why MT enthusiast spent a boatload of dollars on a Porsche MT when they can have as much fun if not more with a Miata. It gives you all the involvement you would want and tracking it is very inexpensive compared to a $175,000 Porsche. Just doesn't make sense.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:27 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Yes, I have driven Miata's and they are a blast. That's why I am puzzled why MT enthusiast spent a boatload of dollars on a Porsche MT when they can have as much fun if not more with a Miata. It gives you all the involvement you would want and tracking it is very inexpensive compared to a $175,000 Porsche. Just doesn't make sense.
I don't see why people spend 1000 bucks for an ice cream wrapped in eatable gold at Serendipity 3,but some people do!
Old 05-17-2017, 07:34 PM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, you can be 99% as fast as the pdk version with the manual, but have fun at the same time. You can't do that with the miata. You have best of both worlds with MT .2 GT3.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:59 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gago1101
Well, you can be 99% as fast as the pdk version with the manual, but have fun at the same time. You can't do that with the miata. You have best of both worlds with MT .2 GT3.
Assuming you're very competent using MT and most aren't.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:18 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

One must not forget that 90% of the time the car will be driven in traffic. I for one cannot bear the thought of shifting in traffic. It would be enough to for me not to take the car for a drive or use it as a DD. I have been there, done that and sure don't want to do that again.
I'm just the opposite. I enjoy a manual the most in typical daily driving, including in traffic, though a lot of stop and go everyday would suck. But then again, I'd never tolerate that type of a daily drive anyway, so moot point. The only place where I think the PDK shines and I would say I actually prefer it, is when I'm really driving hard in the hills.

Quick Reply: PDK or Manual - Allocation Decision