Sponsored by:

PDK or Manual - Allocation Decision

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 10:54 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
That people are confused and missing out on the best option?
Old 05-18-2017, 11:03 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Lol

I really like MT, maybe not as much as you do.

I travel back and forth between US and Europe and there is definately a bigger crowd for MT in US than in Europe.
That could also be a good thing, because if demand is to high for MT on 991.2gt3 Porche will have to cap MT allocations based on total CO2 for the car.
Strange rules but our cleaning lady also touched on it in the ask magic 8ball thread.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:17 AM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by VAUROS
I'm just saying, if the GT3 is as amazing as I hear it is, then the transmission shouldn't matter. It obviously comes down to personal preference. Yes, I'm coming from a GTR and I'm slightly biased towards dual-clutch, lol.
Sold a GTR to get my GT4. Totally different driving experiences and 100% the right call for me.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:12 AM
LSs1Power
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
And you would be incorrect. I had my spot for a 991.1 GT3 but after no MT, I passed. Also passed on the RS.
Which is why I have been on the waiting list for this 6mt GT3 for 2 years.
Same situation here. Manual or bust.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:25 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 625 Likes on 299 Posts

Now it seems .2Rs with come with a manual. This will be a big game changer!
Old 05-19-2017, 09:04 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Lol

I really like MT, maybe not as much as you do.

I travel back and forth between US and Europe and there is definately a bigger crowd for MT in US than in Europe.
That could also be a good thing, because if demand is to high for MT on 991.2gt3 Porche will have to cap MT allocations based on total CO2 for the car.
Strange rules but our cleaning lady also touched on it in the ask magic 8ball thread.
I had never driven an auto until I moved to the US 9 years ago...
Old 05-19-2017, 09:06 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Without giving out too much, save the MT for the next Spyder. It'll be NA and the lightest car available..
Old 05-19-2017, 10:09 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
What is interesting is ROW car enthusiast are dumfounded over the apparent love of MT in the US. Europeans who have been driving MT for years are ordering PDK in droves. Many have expressed puzzlement why US drivers would want MT. To each his own.
+1
Old 05-19-2017, 06:04 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
I really hope that is the case, but I'm still not so sure. I feel like they are taking a page out of BMW's book, and will only offer PDK for their highest performing version, which in Porsche's case is the RS. They keep marketing this whole PDK for "track", manual for "involvement".....and the RS is their trackday special.

That's honestly why I jumped on the GT3...didn't want to miss the boat holding out for an RS with the hope of a manual. I hope I am wrong.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:19 PM
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 86 Posts

^ i think you're right. i believe AP has stated the GT3 will have manual option for more involvement but the RS will be PDK only for lap times.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:14 AM
chaosoul
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
About 85% of all Porsche's delivered world wide are PDK. The US has the highest percentage of MT. What would you conclude from those numbers?

There are many reasons behind this. None of which are the sole reason behind it. It is also completely different from country to country.

First of all, you have to understand that GT cars in manual are completely different market than normal cars (Carrera S, 718 S, etc). About 15-20% of all regular models are in manual but initial submitted allocations for September onwards GT3 allocation already show a 40%+ manual transmission configuration.

Second, there is a list of countries that, despite having a lot of customers who really want manual transmission, will not be receiving any manual transmissions. This is due to various different reasons from country to country (emission laws, laziness or Porsche importer to pass safety, import taxes on different models, etc)

Third, road conditions and ability to own one. US really have the lower end spectrum of the cost of GT3, as many countries MSRP are well beyond 280k USD. With states like California with automobile to people ratio of 3 to 1. Many people can own multiple cars, drive on big open roads, have multiple garage spaces, and use such cars as weekends as such. Obviously, this is not the case of everywhere and everyone, but on average, this is more so the case when compare to rest of world.

Fourth, demographics and culture. US have the highest percentage of Manual Transmission, US also have highest number of Porsche purist. US have highest percentage of classic 911s still well kept, restored, auctioned, etc. US have highest percentage of Rennlist members.

The list really goes on. None of the single point above constitutes the exact reason, but all of them together will affect the outcome.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:24 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by chaosoul
initial submitted allocations for September onwards GT3 allocation already show a 40%+ manual transmission configuration.
Will be interesting to see where that settles after the initial surge. It will also be interesting to compare polls here on RL with final orders to try to calculate a correction factor. That might improve Porsche's historically poor ability to estimate the market...?
Old 07-15-2017, 12:12 PM
FRZA
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

BTW...I did not get the manual allocation so ended up going with the PDK. Here is my build. Early September delivery.

991810 911 GT3
Black
Standard Interior in Leather/Alcantara® in Black
Extended Range Fuel Tank, 23.7 gal
Front Axle Lift System
Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell
Smoking Package
Floor Mats
Steering Wheel with Top Center Marking in Red
BOSE® Surround Sound System
Sport Chrono Clock Dial in Guards Red
Carbon Fiber Interior Package i.c.w. Standard Interior