Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 04:30 PM
SupraSaiyan
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
IMO anything that subtracts more than one from the total production of .2 GT3's as god intended them to be (winged) and thus impacts my chances of getting an allocation, is a f**k**g abomination...

get a GTS if you want back seats and no wing!
Couldn't have said it better
Old 06-29-2017, 04:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by SupraSaiyan
Couldn't have said it better

Old 06-29-2017, 08:17 PM
wolfmobil
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
As we've seen with the 911R.. we vastly overestimate Porsche's downforce concerns.. when they went wingless with the R, they added a slightly thinner front splitter and that vestigial diffuser. Changing those parts to a thicker RS type splitter is a matter of a few Hundred bucks, even the rear splitter was cheap.

In the pictures we can see this supposed touring wingless version running R front splitter and rear diffuser.. which means that someone who wants to take the wing off of their GT3 can literally do nothing and be fine. If they want to be OCD about it then can buy the thinner plastic chin splitter from suncoast and they're set. Let's try not to drink ALL the koolaid gents. Porsche is just playing with our bank accounts by experimenting on how many market segmentations they can get away with and still watch us fall in line like little North Korean soldiers. Next thing you know they'll come out with PTS downforce paint telling us the paint specs are facing a certain direction like feathers on a bird and we'll bend over for that BS too.

Also.. very few here drive at the limit or anything close to it on their way from their garage to cars and coffee... let's keep on keeping it real yea?
McLaren already did it.
http://www.thedrive.com/news/8849/mc...-to-new-levels
Attached Images  
Old 06-29-2017, 10:15 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 06-30-2017, 12:34 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman

yes but I never owned a '72 RS ... nor will I own a wingless GT3 ...
Old 06-30-2017, 02:02 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

Don't shoot me guys, but I would love back seats in a GT3. I want the engine, the looks and the tech, but would love to fit my munchkins for a tiny weight penalty.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:43 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 126 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntRubber
Don't shoot me guys, but I would love back seats in a GT3. I want the engine, the looks and the tech, but would love to fit my munchkins for a tiny weight penalty.
There is quite a list of us who agree with all of this--I'll add that I also want the 6-speed rod-action manual transmission.

Did anyone do a poll? I'm not even sure the best way to list the options so it doesn't appear like a loaded question. Maybe it needs a bunch of options, like:

Which car would you buy? (note I'm not even calling it a GT3)
- 4.0 NA, PDK-S, Wing, No Backseats
- 4.0 NA, PDK-S, No Wing, No Backseats
- 4.0 NA, PDK-S, No Wing, With Backseats
- 4.0 NA, 6-speed Manual, Wing, No Backseats
- 4.0 NA, 6-speed Manual, No Wing, No Backseats
- 4.0 NA, 6-speed Manual, No Wing, With Backseats
- I don't want the ultimate NA engine (get out now)

(FYI some posts below point out some mistakes with my original post. I'm the mistaken one, not anyone below who corrected me)

Last edited by Tangerine; 06-30-2017 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Mistake thinking that the manual transmission was rod actuated, but it is actually not
Old 06-30-2017, 02:48 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

What is rod action shifter?? A new design you just created for the 991 chassis?
Old 06-30-2017, 02:56 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Originally Posted by CAlexio
What is rod action shifter?? A new design you just created for the 991 chassis?
My goof, I meant actuated, not action. You know what I mean. Just none of that cable linkage commoner stuff.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:58 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tangerine
My goof, I meant actuation, not action. You know what I mean. Just none of that cable linkage commoner stuff.
No I get you, but that doesn't exist unless I'm totally mistaken... would require a total redesign of 991 transmission no?.. I thought we were talking about combinations that Porsche could ACTUALLY offer. I want a carbon chassis GT3 but...
Old 06-30-2017, 03:09 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Wow, huge mistake if that's true--I could have sworn I read somewhere that the 911R used rod instead of cable. Or an AP interview? I'll try to track down the source. I mentally checked it off as being confirmed and not speculation at the time.

Unless I find a source, I retract that part about the transmission...

To your question though, I just want whatever the current manual GT transmission is from the R/GT3. I was just mistaken about the linkage.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:56 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

I just want the latest and greatest NA 4.0L with a manual, sexy outfit and room for my little dudes. An amazing exhaust would also be needed, if the stock doesn't hit the high notes just right.

More people need to appreciate a major reason so many people buy a turbo is because it's just about the only legit sports car with rear seats for little people/kids. Many of those turbo buyers would much prefer something that feels and sounds more raw and less like a Dyson vacuum cruiser that goes like a bat out of hell in a straight line. This is why I don't like the name "GT3 Touring". Perhaps, "Dad Edition" is better lol
Old 06-30-2017, 05:08 PM
Craigy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd order a wingless PDK 4.0 with backseats.

Ask me just two or three years ago if I want backseats, hell no. But now I'd pay for a Dad Edition.

Oh yeah, and the large fuel tank option. Dream car.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:12 PM
Craigy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO anything that subtracts more than one from the total production of .2 GT3's as god intended them to be (winged) and thus impacts my chances of getting an allocation, is a f**k**g abomination...

get a GTS if you want back seats and no wing!
If you're looking to get an allocation on a new car, you're still in the same boat, and can check the options you want. Unless Porsche allocates them as different models, you're still buying a GT3.

If you're looking for a used car with certain spec, sure, but if you want an allocation on a GT3 it's the same math. Subtracting cars that aren't ordered with your ideal spec doesn't impact what options you can tick on your allocation.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:56 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tangerine
Wow, huge mistake if that's true--I could have sworn I read somewhere that the 911R used rod instead of cable. Or an AP interview? I'll try to track down the source. I mentally checked it off as being confirmed and not speculation at the time.

Unless I find a source, I retract that part about the transmission...

To your question though, I just want whatever the current manual GT transmission is from the R/GT3. I was just mistaken about the linkage.
All good, yes transmission in the R is cable actuated like all the rest, but it feels nice with a pretty direct feel.. not Miata good but very close. The new GT3 with the same transmission minus the SWFW should feel like 95% there.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option