991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017 | 03:49 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Would make more sense if this was not merely just an option on the GT3, but a separate model, such that total production increased. I've only purchased one GT car in my entire life and am already a bit tired of these games trying to get one.

Though I suspect towards the end of production, maybe these cars won't be as hard to get as they are now. Well, one can hope.
Old 06-28-2017 | 03:52 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by GrantG
Not necessarily at the limit (which can be at relatively low speeds), but at very high speeds it will be an issue.

I think you'd have to retrofit the retractable wing and all the other stuff that comes on the Touring to be safe (expensive).
As we've seen with the 911R.. we vastly overestimate Porsche's downforce concerns.. when they went wingless with the R, they added a slightly thinner front splitter and that vestigial diffuser. Changing those parts to a thicker RS type splitter is a matter of a few Hundred bucks, even the rear splitter was cheap.

In the pictures we can see this supposed touring wingless version running R front splitter and rear diffuser.. which means that someone who wants to take the wing off of their GT3 can literally do nothing and be fine. If they want to be OCD about it then can buy the thinner plastic chin splitter from suncoast and they're set. Let's try not to drink ALL the koolaid gents. Porsche is just playing with our bank accounts by experimenting on how many market segmentations they can get away with and still watch us fall in line like little North Korean soldiers. Next thing you know they'll come out with PTS downforce paint telling us the paint specs are facing a certain direction like feathers on a bird and we'll bend over for that BS too.

Also.. very few here drive at the limit or anything close to it on their way from their garage to cars and coffee... let's keep on keeping it real yea?
Old 06-28-2017 | 03:52 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vantage
Though I suspect towards the end of production, maybe these cars won't be as hard to get as they are now. Well, one can hope.
That is possible, as these cars could overlap production with the first 992's. If the 992 is considered a "winner", it will make demand for these softer (possible that a 992S could be much cheaper and somewhat faster than this car in some metrics. 992 probably needs to be very attractive and innovative to sway many GT buyers though)...
Old 06-28-2017 | 03:59 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Also.. very few here drive at the limit or anything close to it on their way from their garage to cars and coffee... let's keep on keeping it real yea?
True, even at the limit on most corners of most US tracks it won't matter much. But even going in nearly a straight line on the Autobahn at 200 mph, it will be noticed. And it will be noticed on the Nordschliefe at 160mph through Schwedenkreuz (with potentially awful consequences).
Old 06-28-2017 | 04:29 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by vantage
Would make more sense if this was not merely just an option on the GT3, but a separate model.
Agree. They could call it something like the 911R...

Seriously, if Porsche just built the damn 911R in bigger numbers this would be a non issue. And they could have added $20k to the MSRP of that car and sold every damn one of them. All they did is give a big bonus check to the 918 VIPs and **** off the rest of their customers. Still makes no sense to me.
Old 06-28-2017 | 04:43 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
True, even at the limit on most corners of most US tracks it won't matter much. But even going in nearly a straight line on the Autobahn at 200 mph, it will be noticed. And it will be noticed on the Nordschliefe at 160mph through Schwedenkreuz (with potentially awful consequences).
its not a Megane ???
Old 06-28-2017 | 04:46 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

IMO anything that subtracts more than one from the total production of .2 GT3's as god intended them to be (winged) and thus impacts my chances of getting an allocation, is a f**k**g abomination...

get a GTS if you want back seats and no wing!
Old 06-28-2017 | 09:35 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
IMO anything that subtracts more than one from the total production of .2 GT3's as god intended them to be (winged) and thus impacts my chances of getting an allocation, is a f**k**g abomination...

Hug to you Larry
Old 06-28-2017 | 09:40 PM
17bhub
Rennlist Member

From: Where I get the fresh scent of spent Jet Fuel & see Cold Smoke!

+1
Old 06-28-2017 | 10:33 PM
RODOLFO04
Racer

Hey, people just want a BOX to check, that says

- ADDITION OF BACK SEATS $ FILL Porsche price tag in here

And

- REAR WING DELETE. $ 0 bucks

it is not a diferent car, it is just options that are already present in every other car they produce

to clarify, I am only waiting for the backseats, I am ok with the rear wing, but I have no problem with anyone that doesn't want it on their car.
Old 06-28-2017 | 10:52 PM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

add another +1
Old 06-28-2017 | 11:18 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 17bhub
+1
Originally Posted by Nacelle
add another +1
Children, children, children. I think Justin Timberlake puts it best:

In all seriousness though, have you driven the 991.2 GTS? That is the abomination. It is really a very ordinary car. No substitute for a GT car.

My only problem is, is that according to Tomx3 the touring isn't coming with back seats which would be disappointing. It would change it from a definitely buy, to a probably buy for me.
Old 06-29-2017 | 01:35 AM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Before they added the turbo I would agree get the GTS. But now with the regular 911 going turbo and no NA option for Porsche outside the the GT range, a GT3 with no wing and a back seat isn't such a bad idea. Especially with the new wing directly blocking the rear view! Yes yes I know " what's behind me, is not important" - Franco
Old 06-29-2017 | 12:01 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by race7117
Yes yes I know " what's behind me, is not important" - Franco
Love a good Gumball Rally reference
Old 06-29-2017 | 12:50 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Hug to you Larry