Sponsored by:

OT: Tracking Your GT3

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 10:11 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts
Default OT: Tracking Your GT3

A bit off topic, but I have read somewhere on this site that people actually track these cars. Just wondering, if I do decide to track my GT3, how hard is it on the car? What can I do to help protect the car so it doesn't get beat up so bad?
Old 03-10-2017, 10:19 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 266 Posts

Experience level? If new to DE, the car can take it no sweat. Clear film or tape if you care to protect the outside. Film on windscreen I don't like, so it's a consumable. To be honest though if new to track, a slower car is probably better to learn on. Tires are a big consumable cost.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:20 AM
Jon_H
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on the driver, really.

You don't have to go ***** to the wall during a track day and it wouldn't be any harder on the car than some canyon carving. Just done in a safer environment.

Monitor fluid temps and consumables like tires and brakes. Swap out oil after a track day and don't run it to your normal change intervals.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:48 AM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 275 Likes on 116 Posts

>>>
Old 03-10-2017, 10:51 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just. Drive. Car. On track
Old 03-10-2017, 11:13 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
Experience level? If new to DE, the car can take it no sweat. Clear film or tape if you care to protect the outside. Film on windscreen I don't like, so it's a consumable. To be honest though if new to track, a slower car is probably better to learn on. Tires are a big consumable cost.
Thanks! Yeah, never been on a track longer than a 1/4 mile. I will look for that tape. Definitely a Miata would be better, but....

Originally Posted by Jon_H
Depends on the driver, really.

You don't have to go ***** to the wall during a track day and it wouldn't be any harder on the car than some canyon carving. Just done in a safer environment.

Monitor fluid temps and consumables like tires and brakes. Swap out oil after a track day and don't run it to your normal change intervals.
Okay thanks!

Originally Posted by mass27
>>>
Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
Just. Drive. Car. On track
Okay! Sounds simple lol.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:13 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 621 Posts

I wouldn't (and don't) worry about it. Upgrade the brake fluid to something like Castrol SRF or similar from PFC. Expect to go thru tires/brakes. And maybe go ahead and put a clear bra on the front end. I wouldn't do windshield film - just replace them once in a while (less than $1500). Mostly enjoy the heck out of it. If you get the bug, then I'd think about some safety mods - at least get a Simpson FA Hybrid.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:18 AM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

Sign up for a PCA DE event. Do whatever they tell you to do (and listen to the instructor). Car will be fine.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:37 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

It makes me very sad that we have devolved to the point where a thread on tracking a GT3 would be considered 'OT' now that the only thing people talk about is 'value'. The 997 guys were right..

Do it and you'll wonder why you ever bothered doing anything else with the car. Trust us.

The 'abuse' on the car is purely psychological. It's not abuse if the car was designed for it. My GT3 has over 60 track days and over 6000 miles on track. These are hard days and miles driven at full tilt. It still drives just like it did the first day I owned the car. No creaks, no squeaks. Rock solid. The only issues, that were addressed under warranty, have been a failed coil pack and a leaking oil cooler. Maintain the car properly and it will be fine.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:45 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,945 Likes on 2,801 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
A bit off topic, but I have read somewhere on this site that people actually track these cars. Just wondering, if I do decide to track my GT3, how hard is it on the car? What can I do to help protect the car so it doesn't get beat up so bad?
Rob - do you have a clear bra on the car? If not, this temporary stuff works well (used it for Euro Delivery):

http://www.xpel.com/xpel-tracwrap-temporary-ppf/

Painter's Tape at the hardware store looks worse and doesn't protect quite as well, but is cheap and easy.

You could do a PCA DE, but my personal preference is for the Open Track Days at HPR - often sparsely attended and very relaxed (with plenty of time for driving and resting on your own schedule). It is helpful to attend with someone experienced (I'm happy to help as are many others).

You could also hire a professional instructor if you feel this is right for you.

Last edited by GrantG; 03-10-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:07 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,088 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
It makes me very sad that we have devolved to the point where a thread on tracking a GT3 would be considered 'OT' now that the only thing people talk about is 'value'. The 997 guys were right..

Do it and you'll wonder why you ever bothered doing anything else with the car. Trust us.

The 'abuse' on the car is purely psychological. It's not abuse if the car was designed for it. My GT3 has over 60 track days and over 6000 miles on track. These are hard days and miles driven at full tilt. It still drives just like it did the first day I owned the car. No creaks, no squeaks. Rock solid. The only issues, that were addressed under warranty, have been a failed coil pack and a leaking oil cooler. Maintain the car properly and it will be fine.
Listen to Joe.

That said, MAINTAINING and DRIVING these cars and their consumables on track is expensive. ~1000/day roughly maybe more once you get to a decent level (tires, brake pads, oil changes, brake fluid changes, etc, etc).

But the cars, they can take it. And based on what I see at my shop, the cars that are driven and maintained are much happier. Stuff doesn't seize, seals don't leak, etc.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:08 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rob you owe it to yourself to take this car to the track and you will be pleasantly surprised as it reveals it's true brilliance and will take your enjoyment to another level.

There is no need to go 10/10ths to have this experience. Try it a few times to get the hang of track driving and just enjoy it. I track mine about 3 to 4 times a year at about 8/10ths at the most and truly enjoy the experience. I just perform the regular maintenance and the car has been bullet proof so far.

Go have some fun

Old 03-10-2017, 12:16 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,870 Likes on 1,902 Posts

If I get a GT3 and I ever get through concussion protocol, I'm definitely going to take it to track a couple of times a year, PCCBs and all. Very much looking forward to seeing how the car experience on track compares to motos, but no intention to become a track junkie again at my age. I have no worries that these cars can take it and I don't really care if it shows some wear and tear. My C2S is a pretty much a pure performance build (no creature comforts) and I'm even considering tracking that this year if I get healthy enough in time.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:38 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rob,
Plenty of guys go to HPR during the warm months. Study a few videos to know the track. Take a ride along with someone with experience, and have them do a ride along with you. Keep pace within yourself while learning. A few lead/follow sessions once you are comfortable. As Joe said, absolute religious with maintenance and these cars have no concerns. Paint protection if concerned (blue tape on headlights at least). You will know right away if it is your "thing". If you want to pursue further, then more seat time, perhaps an instructor, perhaps a PCA event (much less seat time at those, but good comraderie and cool cars).
Old 03-10-2017, 12:47 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

IMO if you don't take this car to the track you are missing the point of owning a GT3, at least to me you cannot safely explore the capabilities of this car on the street. I've only been going to the track regularly for the last few years but I wish I had made time earlier.

many great options for DE, not just PCA - Chin, HOD, Nasa other car clubs like Audi or BMW.

for your first few times I would have the dealership check the car and change brake fluid/oil. I have expel on my car but also use trak tape to augment (www.trakktape.com/ordering.html)

then go enjoy the car the way it was meant to be driven

Quick Reply: OT: Tracking Your GT3